Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 03:38 PM   #1
BLU CIVIC
調整器

Send a message via MSN to BLU CIVIC Send a message via Yahoo to BLU CIVIC
best turbo kit for d16z6

just to start of....my question is what the topic of this thread is....i'm new to the whole working on the engine and fi thing, so after i get me d16z6 next year i'm figuring it should take me all of next year to get this car finished ($ playin a big role) but in the poll is just the ones i know of and if i didn't mention any other that u know of, plz enlighten me
1991 Civic Sedan DX - 185.8whp/139tq. Tuned on NepTune by J.Mills
2006 G35 Coupe 6MT - Stock
2011 CR-Z - Stock
BLU CIVIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 02:30 AM   #2
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Send a message via AIM to eckoman_pdx Send a message via Yahoo to eckoman_pdx
Greddy makes decent kit for the D16Z6. You need a separate BOV though, as it is not included. The kit is set up for 5psi. It retails for $1950. Apexi's kit costs a little more, $2,599 but claims to make more power. It is @ 6psi.However, if it matters, it is NOT CARB exempt, and the greddy is. Both have upgrade paths, so you can upgrade the boost and power later. Neither includes an intercooler, (which is option instead) you will want to get. The Apex uses a IHI, ball bearing center section, the turbine A/R is .71. The manifold is made of SUS 304 Steel. The Greddy uses a mitsubishi TD04H-15G 8cm2 turbo. The manifold is cast iron.
www.apexi-usa.com
www.greddy.com
eckoman_pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 09:27 AM   #3
BLU CIVIC
調整器

well what do u think about the drag or rev hard turbos?? since i'm spending almost all of next year on this engine and turbo kit i want to have thee possibility of running high boost....15+psi...but i was also told that i could psooibly get the same results going homemade....what do u think
2011 CR-Z - Stock
Old 08-19-2003, 01:00 AM   #4
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Re: best turbo kit for d16z6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLU CIVIC
well what do u think about the drag or rev hard turbos?? since i'm spending almost all of next year on this engine and turbo kit i want to have thee possibility of running high boost....15+psi...but i was also told that i could psooibly get the same results going homemade....what do u think
Going homemade for the kit can give great results. Just make sure you know what you need, what size injectors for the boost, etc. The benifit of buying a pre-made kit is it helps take the guesswork out. Putting your own kit toghter can give you better results, IMO, at a cheaper price sometimes. If your willing to do the research and take the time to put your own kit toghter, you can get a great turbo kit. This gives you TONS more options. All different types of manifold design options, different turbo's, etc. If you are willing to take the time and do it, I say go and put your own kit toghter. You can get all the parts you need to make a kick ass kit, and can hand choose the ones that best suite your tastes and neats. This means you won't buy a kit, and rep[lace an included part with a different one you live better. I say defeniatly go for it, if you are up to it.
Old 08-19-2003, 08:24 AM   #5
BLU CIVIC
調整器

well i'm going to have a whole year dedicated to this project and know jack about turbos except the turbo and fmic....so i have a lot of reading and research to do
2011 CR-Z - Stock
Old 08-19-2003, 08:08 PM   #6
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Quote:
well i'm going to have a whole year dedicated to this project and know jack about turbos except the turbo and fmic....so i have a lot of reading and research to do
I have a whole bunch of books and magazines that will help you. I'll look up some of the titles, issues, etc and post it. It's a start, and they should help give you a much better idea.
Old 08-20-2003, 04:06 AM   #7
ReVo
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to ReVo Send a message via Yahoo to ReVo
Also, one site you might wanna check out is http://www.cse.uconn.edu/~yelevich/turbo/turbo.html
Make sure to read through all the stuff, has some great info on building your own custom turbo kit. Also Homemadeturbo.com
ReVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 06:40 AM   #8
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Okay, I found some of the magazines/books that should help you learn about turbo's.

1)High Performance Honda Builder's Handbook, Vol. 1, By Joe Pettitt. pgs 86-105 are on turbo's. The whole book is informative. There is a vol. 2 also, but I have not read it. Vol.1 is the one that touches on turbo's more.
2)Hot Imports & Compacts (HCI) May 2003. "How to Build a Turbo Kit." 37-96.
3)Sport Compact Car June 2003 Vol. 15, No. 6. pgs 153-162, 169-192, 199-224, 229-243.
4)Honda/Acura Performance Vol.1, pgs 73-112. From the editors of Sport Compact Car. published by HP books.
5)Civic Duty, By Alan Paradise, forward by Oscar Jackson. Not nearly as in-depth on turbo's as the others. This may or may not be up your alley. Some parts of the book are informative, whereas other parts seem better suited to the beginner just starting out. Pgs 70-79 would most likely be the most relevant to turbo's and internal parts related to a build-up. The other books will cover turbo's better.
6)Maximum Boost, By Corky Bell. I have not read this one but hear it is informative.

Since you arn't familer with turbo's much, these reads will help you understand what is what much better. They're not going to explain it in rocket science, but it gives a basic understanding. I hope this helps you out a bit. What turbo is best really depends on what your specific goals are for the engine. A turbo you would use for a 200hp output would not be the same as one you would use for a 300hp output. Number 1-3 above should help you understand how to read a compressor map, and explain how to figure out how much air flow (in lbs/min) and how much boost it will take to get you to your desired goal. From here you can start looking for the correct turbo.
Old 08-20-2003, 07:20 AM   #9
BLU CIVIC
調整器

thanx...guess i have some finding and reading to do....
2011 CR-Z - Stock

Last edited by BLU CIVIC; 08-20-2003 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-21-2003, 07:05 AM   #10
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Quote:
thanx...guess i have some finding and reading to do....

Your Welcome, good luck on your engine build and turbo kit. Let me know how it comes along and how it turns out in the end.