Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 07:47 PM   #1
LTJGWorth
AF Regular

Question Cruise Control and A/C problems

I have a 1997 Ram 1500 extended cab 2WD with 360 V8 and the cruise control doesn't work. I have been told that it is a vacume line and if thats the case, could someone please tell me where the line may be located? Also, when i have my A/C on with the vents switched to the position when they blow straight out into the cab of the truck and i accelerate, the air stops blowing through the front vents and begins blowing through the vents in the windsheild. Then when I let off of the gas, it goes back to normal. Any ideas? Maybe another vacume line? Maybe the same one for both? Please help!
LTJGWorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 12:44 AM   #2
indyram
AF Enthusiast

Re: Cruise Control and A/C problems

Maybe it's the TPS, seems to be quite a problem so I've been told. I've also been told that you can get one at autozone. I hear they are expensive though.
indyram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 12:56 AM   #3
gcarlg
AF Newbie

Please don’t count off for spelling.
Sounds like it could be a vacuum problem. Vacuum is just pressure below atmospheric pressure. Usually a large vacuum leak causes the engine to overspeed.
The controls for the air flow usually default to defrost with loss of vacuum. (to keep the window clear in cold weather). A major vacuum leak could rob both systems, the cruise control and the air flow routing.
There is also a great deal of electronics involved in the cruise control. But check for a vacuum leak first. Look for black hose,smaller then your little finger that is cracked or split. Dont take any off till you have new hose of the same size on hand. Squirt a small amount of motor oil on the suspected leak when the motor is running, it will suck the oil into the leak and temporally slow the engine back to normal idle speed.

If you are more adventurous, you could use starting fluid. Squirt a small amount of starting fluid on the suspected leak, when it hits the leak, the engine speeds up. This is very dangerous and could cause a fire. This is very dangerous and could cause a fire..This is very dangerous and could cause a fire..
Good luck
gcarlg
gcarlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 02:08 AM   #4
gcarlg
AF Newbie

Forgot to say where the cruise control was. On my Dodge 99 5.9 the cruise control unit is located below the battery in the front drivers side of the engine compartment. Two lines come from there and go to the middle of the engine below the air filter housing and to the left side of the throttle body. The smallest one, about 1/8 inch in diameter, is the vacuum line. It comes from the intake manifold. Check the connections on each end. Be careful, the line is hard plastic and could break easily.
Gcarlg
gcarlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 04:37 PM   #5
LTJGWorth
AF Regular

I don't know about the TPS (sounds like something that I typed on another post {are u making fun of me?}). I just replaced the TPS and i wouldn't think it to have anything to do with the a/c. But I do know where the cruise control module is. I have seen it many times. The battery that I had in it before leaked and it was replaced and the cruise control didn't work then either. I haven't noticed any holes in the vacume line but the module may have been damaged. I have heard that those lines are in a bad place because of the battery. But I have also heard of a few other problems with the dodges as well. Thanks!
Old 05-21-2004, 11:28 PM   #6
indyram
AF Enthusiast

LTJGWorth, yeah I was just giving you crap. Don't take it personal though.
indyram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 05:12 PM   #7
bustedratchet
AF Regular

Re: Re: Cruise Control and A/C problems

Check the passenger side of the intake near the center for the vacuum leak.
bustedratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 07:43 PM   #8
seniorbigs
AF Regular

A leaking vacuum hose can cause both symptoms. Find the hose going into the cab, many times they rub on the ac line clamps. If not there, follow them to there ends.
seniorbigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 07:19 AM   #9
sadlerb_98
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to sadlerb_98
I had a dodge that had that exact same A/C problem. I took it to the dealer and a $45 part fixed it. I seem to remember it being some sort of valve. It has been a few years ago. I would just take it to the dealer or a PepBoys.

Good luck,
Bob
sadlerb_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 09:20 AM   #10
michelq
AF Regular

Look under battary there is a c. control servo check the vacuum hose you are going to find the problem there for the a/c and c. control
michelq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 01:52 AM   #11
tomc2
AF Newbie

There has been a TSB issued for this problem, it is "TSB 08-22-97 Rev A". You can read it at genosgarage.com or any dealer can run it off for you. It's caused by a damaged hose at the speed control servo located under the battery. The way the battery tray is designed allows acid to drip onto the hose and servo.The TSB will show you a diagram and give detailed repair instructions as well as part numbers if you need any. This problem is very common on the 96' and 97' models. It should also fix the air flow problem, just like gcarlg said in a low vaccume condition it will route air back to the defrost vents until enough vaccume pressure is present to operate the baffles in the A/C duct. Make sure to put a battery mat in the tray under the battery to absorb any acid in the future, they only cost a few bucks and if they had been used from the factory it would have eliminated this problem.
tomc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 08:07 PM   #12
TurboSW
AF Regular

Thank you for posting about this problem. My 96 has been doing this for some time now. I checked under the battery and sure enough the hard hose is broken off and is cracked in my places. Do I need to go to the dealer for the part, or is it a hose that can be bought from a part store?
TurboSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 06:57 PM   #13
LTJGWorth
AF Regular

I haven't been on here to check this thing in a while. Thanks for all the help guys. I've checked the vacume line that was mentioned above and yep, it sure does have a crap load of holes in it. I don't know about the sensor though, but i'll look into it. And I'm asking the same question as TurboSW. Can I pick up one of those hoses at an AutoZone?
Old 06-25-2004, 08:22 PM   #14
TurboSW
AF Regular

I bought 4 feet of vac hose from Auto Zone in CA. It's rubber and not rigid like the stock one. To connect it I just cut off the ends of the old one and used them as connectors. You can buy new connectors fron the store, but this worked out perfect. One word of advise, before you pull the old cracked hose out of the shelve that holds the cruse Control cable hose, connect the new hose to the old one and feed it though. It worked like a charm. BTW the Hose ID is 1/8" and it looks stock. You might need a zip tie or two to hold the new hose to the Cruse cable, but don't zip it too tight so that air doesn't follow. Hope that helps.
TurboSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 09:15 PM   #15
LTJGWorth
AF Regular

Funny you should post that because that is exactly what I did today right after I left this post. It fixed the a/c right up and it works perfectly, but the cruise control still isn't working. The servo may be damaged or the other line going into it may have a hole in it. It got dark on me and I couldn't check it (don't have a garage built). Thanks for the help.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10