Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Alero
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 02:44 PM   #1
jsca0123
AF Newbie

OMG now I'm scared........

I haven't financed a car in like 5 years but I finally was forced to finance a vehicle and since my credit sucks I got a HIGH apr so I wanted to make sure that I got a car that I would be happy with and everything. Well I got a 2003 alero and to be honest I LOVE THIS CAR ..........however I have been reading here and there are a few things that seemed like they weren't that serious. I talked to my dad about (whole family is machanics but not in the same state) Well here are the problems and hopefully they aren't more serious than we all thought.

#1.....The idle is a little ruff but the power is great and runs smooth but just when the car is stopped at a light or in reverse in park it's smooth. So we are thinking the car just needs a full tune up (plugs, wires, service all that no big)

#2......The horn wont work at all not when I hit the remote or press on the wheel thought this was just a fuse but that didn't work. I mean no big horn doesn't effect the drive but would be nice to have.

#3......On the highway when I go to slow down like to the off ramp it shakes some and pulls a little to the right......now this i'm pretty sure that almost positive this is simply either the alignment or like a bent rim or something. I accidently ran my ex boyfriends car into a curb trying to avoid an accident well it bent the rim so I took it to KIA and they wanted like $800 took it to a tire place and it cost me $50 for a new tire and they put the SLIGHTLY bent rim on the back since it was front wheel drive and fixed everything which was the same thing. It was shaking bad at higher speeds and when stopping and all that.

anyway i pray that I didn't get screwed i feel like I got a really good deal and the carfax report was ok and i checked it (i do know my way around an engine to a point) any thoughts???
jsca0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 04:34 PM   #2
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Re: OMG now I'm scared........

What Alero model do you have: GX, GL, GL2, GLS and what engine size?

Also, how many miles are on it?

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
BNaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 06:06 PM   #3
jsca0123
AF Newbie

2003 Oldsmobile Alero Gl
2.2l L4 Mfi Dohc
jsca0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 07:25 PM   #4
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Welcome to AF.

With 94K miles a basic tune up is a good idea: spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter, etc.

On the horn it sounds like the horn relay may not be energizing. The relay is located in the engine compartment fuse box. It does not appear to be the remote/bcm or the button at the steering column. Also, check the horns and make sure they are good and properly connected. They are located under the front bumper skin cover passenger side.

A bad tire or rim will show up more pronounced at lower speeds than higher so that is a possibility. An alignment wouldnt hurt since there is a pull to the right. If the alignment doesn't help and the pull to right is still there checkout the right and left front tires. One could be defective and have what is called a radial pull or bad belts.

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
BNaylor is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Alero