Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 01:30 PM   #76
randy78
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to randy78 Send a message via Skype™ to randy78
Re: Passlock System

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponchonutty
Right. No PK1 or PK2 system has a "chip" in the key. It's all in the lock mechanism itself. It uses cheap little magnets inside it. Usually they get cruddy or even move if the cyl. is worn enough to rub up against them. That's why the problem is always constant.

PK3 vehicles like most of the newer Caddy's, and brand new GM vehicles do have a "chip" in the head of the key. You don't see it but there is one.

If you do what I did in my previous post you'll eliminate the magnets completely. Once you do it and it starts, it should be fine every time.

what ?

i was always told that passkey is with resistor in the key and passlock is with resistor in the cylinder only

what gives ?
-'54 F100 302 C-6 -'57 F100 -'57 Bel Air HT 307 4spd '57 210 HT 4dr 265 3spd -'68 corvair monza convertible w/ PG -'79 C-20 -'80 K-20 -'82 K-10 SS -'82 TRANS AM WS7 HT 5.0L TH350 2400 stall blue/blue level III PMD cloth PG hood -'85 Elky SS 310ci 2004r fully restored 2008 -'88 buick century estate wagon 3800 4t40e, 91 s-10 2wd 4.3L, 96 taurus, '97 cavalier RS 2.2L, 5sd -'05 18ft car trailer, 98 achieva, 98 cherokee,
randy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 08:29 PM   #77
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy78
what ?

i was always told that passkey is with resistor in the key and passlock is with resistor in the cylinder only

what gives ?
I think you have the VATS system mixed up with these newer systems. VATS had that chip you could actually see in the metal shaft of the key. The new PK3 keys use a chip that's embedded into the black head of the key.
Orion C63 Coax rear
DirectedVideo 9" all in one DVD with surround

2007 SATURN OUTLOOK AWD XR with full entertainment package
ponchonutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 04:07 PM   #78
kabrown
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to kabrown Send a message via Yahoo to kabrown

Quote:
You may have code #1626 but your car shutting off while driving isn't a symptom of it. Once your car successfully starts, VATS or Passlock can't shut it back down. You have something else going on as well.
Doing some research on my exact same problem I found this thread, but this post from ponchnutty really worried me. I have a Malibu LS 2001 and it has been having problems to start ... "Theft System" light on dash. Nevertheless, it has also ocurred to me like 6 times that the car is already running, I'm driving and suddenly it just dies. I put in Neutral and the car starts just fine! ... do you think it may be a problem with the auto-tranny? I am wondering if the computer keeps a log of all error messages ... just to make sure if it's passlock or other system the one with the problem.

Thanks for any comments on this.
kabrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 07:46 PM   #79
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

Yes, any and all error codes will be stored but again, if the car just dies as you drive, it isn't a security issue. My guess would be a loose wire or connection somewhere. It could even be as easy as a loose/dirty battery cable. GM did have major issues with battery cables and batteries. The leads on the cables were too long and would crack the leads on the battery causing acid to leak inside the cables and rotting them out.
Orion C63 Coax rear

Old 02-22-2007, 01:09 PM   #80
cj1414
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycorri
I assume you mean cutting the wire while the engine is running? Yeah, I had already made my modification before I found the UIB(Upfitter Integration Bulletin). It would have saved me some gas $. It's nice to have this bulletin as confirmation. I also wired my toggle backwards from the way it suggests. (On for Passlock Enable---Off for Passlock Disable.) Either way, it works.

Ray

Proud Member of The Anti-Passlock Club
hey Ray-

Gosh i wish i would have found this website sooner as i just had my Alero taken to the shop today for this very same non-starting problem. I am going to print of f some things from here and take it to the dealer later this afternoon and show them all of this. I wonder what kind of reaction i will get? Well i know where to go if i have a future problems...thanks

CJ
cj1414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 05:47 PM   #81
gherikill
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixthecat
HEY TRY TO RESET YOUR SYSTEM .
THIS HOW YOU DO IT .
1ST PUT KEY IN SWITCH
2ND TURN TO ACC LET IT STAY ON OF 11 MINS.
TURN IT OFF AND BACK ON TO ACC FOR 11 MINS.
TURN IT OFF AND BACK ON TO ACC FOR 11 MINS.
IT TAKES ABOUT 33 MINS TO COMPLETE P.S. DO NOT TURN
THE CAR ON ALL THE WAY JUST TO THE ACC WHEN TRYING TO RESET . AFTER THE 33 MINS IT'S OK TO START. YOU JUST RESET THE
SECURITY SYSTEM........... EMAIL fvalle@houston.rr.com

Has anyone tried this? Does it really work?
gherikill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:17 PM   #82
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

if that is what the systems needs it will work.
It is a relearn procedure for when the body or anti theft modules are replaced or it has lost it memory.
But it is key off to on not key off to acc for 10 or more minutes and the key off and repeat key on 2 more times.
You will need a good batery or a charger hooked up for the total 30 minutes key on.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:59 PM   #83
gherikill
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT-2500
You will need a good batery or a charger hooked up for the total 30 minutes key on.

Even if you turn off the radio and fans? Will it really drain the battery? Would it be safe to do the procedure then jump start the vehicle?
Old 05-10-2007, 07:07 AM   #84
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

It's never recomended to jump a car. It'd be better to put a battery charger on it when you go to start the car. Now, if your PK2 system is at fault and stays at fault the relearn won't help you. The same thing is if it's intermittant (like most are).
Orion C63 Coax rear

Old 05-10-2007, 09:12 AM   #85
gherikill
AF Newbie

Quote:
It's never recomended to jump a car. It'd be better to put a battery charger on it when you go to start the car. Now, if your PK2 system is at fault and stays at fault the relearn won't help you. The same thing is if it's intermittant (like most are).
So if the problem is intermittant - which I think it is. Will reomving the battery negative terminal for 10 seconds clear the light until the problem starts again?

I can't stand the light but don't really want to shell out $400 for a repair that will just turn off a light. I have not had anyproblems starting the car.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:12 PM   #86
slls
AF Regular

Talking Re: Passlock System

Quote:
Originally Posted by gherikill
So if the problem is intermittant - which I think it is. Will reomving the battery negative terminal for 10 seconds clear the light until the problem starts again?

I can't stand the light but don't really want to shell out $400 for a repair that will just turn off a light. I have not had anyproblems starting the car.
Black tape, I got rid of my 04 malibu orange MPH always on. It is there because you can change it to KM through the DIC.
slls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 03:36 PM   #87
gherikill
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slls
Black tape, I got rid of my 04 malibu orange MPH always on. It is there because you can change it to KM through the DIC.
Thats good but now I have to figure out how to take off the screen that protects the instrument panel.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:03 AM   #88
slls
AF Regular

Talking Re: Passlock System

Quote:
Originally Posted by gherikill
Thats good but now I have to figure out how to take off the screen that protects the instrument panel.
I put right over the shield, when the day comes that the cluster needs work then I will put it directly on the panel. Works for me.
slls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 10:11 PM   #89
lboggie36
AF Newbie

will this work with04 chevy venture?
lboggie36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 05:50 PM   #90
slls
AF Regular

Quote: