Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 03:38 PM   #1
Droot
AF Newbie

Help! 525i won't start!

First I would ask that you forgive me for what is going to be a long post. Second I ask that you keep in mind that I have searched the site and have not been able to figure this out. Thanks

Here is the deal, I replaced the [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]radiator[/color][/color]
on my 1995 525i [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]sedan[/color][/color] because of failure related to age. I swapped out the radiator and hooked up the automatic transmission cooler with the car up on jacks. Next I started the car, this went well without any unusual issues. It was at this point that I noticed that the tranny cooler lines had a small leak, so I backed the car up a couple feet (didn't want to work in the drips), I shut it off, took the line off and found I had crimped an o-ring. I figured I would pick up the parts in the morning and fix it, so I lowered the car, put the key in the ignition and turned it to the "[COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]radio[/color][/color]" area, put the car in neutral, and rolled it forward about two feet so I could close the [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]garage [COLOR=blue ! important]door[/color][/color][/color].

The next day I replaced the o-rings and went to start it and "NOTHING". The key goes in and the system recognizes that a key is in the ignition, but nothing more. When I turn the key it is as if it is not doing anything. It turns from the "off" position to the "start" position (no further)without anything happening. The steering wheel remains locked, the shifter remains locked, the only electrical is what would be available without the key in the ignition. No radio, driving or turn lights, computer readout or codes.
The battery is strong and everything seems to be working up to the point of the key in the ignition. I have tried locking and unlocking the car both with the remote and with the key dozens of times. I have disconnected the battery for a couple hours hoping it might reset something to no avail. I have tried wiggling the key (I only have the one to work with, a master) and the shifter to see if it could be there. I have checked the fuses and all appear good.

I am at my wits end, please lend a hand to a man in need. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
Dave R
Droot is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > Technical