Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 10:55 PM   #31
tumbleweed_biff
AF Newbie

Re: Shock Towers rusted-out!!!!!

To all: In my humble opinion: the rusting of the towers and the rocker panels are two, long-term, known issues with the Caravan/TownAndCountry line. This has been the case for well over a decade. the fact that the issue has gone on as long as it has demonstrates a) the designers are clueless, b) and/or the mfg cares nothing about the quality of their products or customer satisfaction and/or c) is a case of intentionally designed obsolescence.
YMMV

The resolution? if you do not have yet have this problem or if it is just beginning, prep the metal of the entire area by stripping off all paint, and repainting it with POR-15 paint. They have a number of paints which will form a relatively permanent chemical bond with the metal. For surface rust, you can apply to the metal without removing all of rust as it will chemically convert the rust and prevent further oxidation. You can finish it in whichever preferred method you wish. This would also be appropriate to use on any welds as well to prevent the corrosion of the welds someone spoke of earlier.

No, I do not work for POR-15 and I don't get any form of compensation from them. I have used their products and found the results to be outstanding immediately and over time. I recommend checking out their full product line.

It has been over a decade since I have worked with any of their products, however, that far back, PPG Paints had something called DCD35, a base prep and primer onto which you could directly apply color, which also formed a bond with the metal. Again, it has been over a decade and I have no idea as to how this product or its replacements/upgrades perform over time.

Where to find kits? As mentioned above: dealers, amazon, and other etailers. Your local auto parts store can probably order them.

Sincerely
Tumbleweed_Biff
tumbleweed_biff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:00 AM   #32
b1lk1
AF Regular

All makes of minivans have problems with rocker panel rust. WHen you have long flat pieces of metal that are exposed to rocks, road sand/salt and lack of proper cleaning you will have this. This is not a fault of the manufacturer or the paint. This is mostly the fault of the consumer that doesn't properly care for and wash/maintain their vehicle. Also, if the consumer would actually LOOK at their car without a blind eye for a moment and when they see paint coming off then they need to have it repaired. It does not cost thousands of dollars to have partial repaints. Anybody shop would repaint both rockers for $500 or less. If they have to strip them or perform repairs of course the cost goes up, but people are just far too lazy to take a look and even when they see a problem they turn a blind eye. These same people are the first to complain when they have rust issues.

There is no paint that can ever prevent this. THere is no treatment that can prevent this. Using expensive treatments/paints will only cause an increase in car prices and still not in the least. Personal responsibility is the only thing that can prevent this.

As for strut tower rust, again, taking the time to actually clean out the wheel wells with a power washer once a month would have gone very far to prevent this problem.

b1lk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:03 AM   #33
RIP
AF -Advisor

b1lk1 - By any chance do you work at the Brampton, Ontario Chrysler plant?

07 Fusion / 06 RAV4 / 06 Accord / 96 Gr Caravan
RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:25 PM   #34
b1lk1
AF Regular

Nah, I'm an independent mechanic working out of a shop I share with a friend who does body work.

The Following User Says Thank You to b1lk1 For This Useful Post:
RIP (08-25-2011)
Old 08-25-2011, 10:40 PM   #35
RIP
AF -Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
Nah, I'm an independent mechanic working out of a shop I share with a friend who does body work.
Thought you were coming from a whole different direction. Thanks for the clarification. It puts your post in a whole different positive light.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:14 AM   #36
b1lk1
AF Regular

I should also add that I have a 2002 Grand Caravan and have had to have both rocker panels repaired because of rust through. Van was neglected by previous owner. I bought it with about 70K miles and I've done probably $2-3K in repairs I'd blame mostly on poor maintenance. This is the main reason I tend to blame the owner and not the manufacturer although I wish the manufacturer would make things a little more idiot proof and just charge a few more bucks so their cars could withstand poor maintenance better.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:47 PM   #37
RIP
AF -Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
I should also add that I have a 2002 Grand Caravan and have had to have both rocker panels repaired because of rust through. Van was neglected by previous owner. I bought it with about 70K miles and I've done probably $2-3K in repairs I'd blame mostly on poor maintenance. This is the main reason I tend to blame the owner and not the manufacturer although I wish the manufacturer would make things a little more idiot proof and just charge a few more bucks so their cars could withstand poor maintenance better.
Rust is nearly unheard of around here. I'd guess the body guys here probably have less than half the work you guys out east deal with. Course that's good and bad. Right there with you on the "idiot proof".

Old 08-29-2011, 02:44 PM   #38
b1lk1
AF Regular

I live in what is affectionately termed the "Rust Belt" since Ontario uses an insane amount of road salt to protect people from themselves. Rust is a HUGE problem here.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:59 PM   #39
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie

I haven't seen a car made since the 80s that has a real rust problem.

While we don't have to salt our roads like much of the Northern Hemisphere does, do live extremely close to the sea which means lots of exposure to high humidity and air born salt.

Our car fleet is mostly comprised of Japanese and European built cars. Paint and coating technology reach a very high standard in these countries in the early 90s, and rust is simply not a regular problem anymore.
Anything made before then, unless it's very well looked after will now be riddled with rust.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:55 AM   #40
b1lk1
AF Regular

Road salt is far more punishing than sear/air salt. Road salt is like sand blasting as it removes pretective paint. Once it is in and not washed out it then causes corrosion. Plus, once there is a hole or it finds a drain hole and it is not cleaned out, it rots from the inside out.

No car is more immune than any other here.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager