Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Porsche > 924/944/968
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 12:27 PM   #1
Pmckib
AF Newbie

No oil pressure

I have a 84 944 with 100,000 miles it. I parked the car about 6 months ago due to a oil leak. I finally got around to fixing the leak by changing the oil cooler gasket. Since the car sat for so long I took the precaution of pulling out the spark plugs and turning the engine over to build up oil pressure. After about 20-30 seconds there was still no oil pressure. The guage reads 0 and the light stays on while the engine is spinning. I figured the oil pump had lost it's prime and poured oil down the upper and center opening where the oil filter screws on and turned the engine counter clockwise in an attempt to prime the oil pump. Unfortunatly this had no effect, I've still got no oil pressure. I thought there might be a fault in the pressure sending unit but after each attempt to bring the oil pressure up I removed the oil filter and there's no evidance of oil entering the filter so I know there's no oil circulating.
Pmckib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 01:32 PM   #2
930guy
AF Enthusiast

Re: No oil pressure

The pump will not create any pressure if your spinning the engine counter clockwise-try the other way
930guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 01:54 PM   #3
Pmckib
AF Newbie

Re: Re: No oil pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by 930guy
The pump will not create any pressure if your spinning the engine counter clockwise-try the other way
I understand the pump will not draw any oul out of the pan turning backwards. I only turned the engine counter clockwise in a attempt to draw the oil into the pump from the opening at the oil filter. I poured oil down into the opening until it began to overflow. I then turned the engine counter clockwise by hand in an attempt to draw the oil from the passage between the pump and the filter back into the pump. I then spun the engine again (clockwise) with the starter but still no oil pressure.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:28 PM   #4
89B2200
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to 89B2200
When you changed the oil cooler seals and put the housing back on, did you make sure the oil press reg valve is lined up before you tightened the housing bolts? There is an alignment tool to make sure the oprv is lined up to prevent it from getting misaligned.
Check the crank pulley bolt torque. If it is loose, the oil pump sleeve will just spin and leave the oil pump gear to slip and not build up pressure.
If you can hook up a dial type pressure gauge, try that first. I am not sure where to install the gauge though.
Good luck.
89B2200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 12:20 PM   #5
Pmckib
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89B2200
When you changed the oil cooler seals and put the housing back on, did you make sure the oil press reg valve is lined up before you tightened the housing bolts? There is an alignment tool to make sure the oprv is lined up to prevent it from getting misaligned.
Check the crank pulley bolt torque. If it is loose, the oil pump sleeve will just spin and leave the oil pump gear to slip and not build up pressure.
If you can hook up a dial type pressure gauge, try that first. I am not sure where to install the gauge though.
Good luck.
My car has the old 3 piece style OPRV so alignment shouldn't be critical, and the bolt for the crank pully is tight.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:18 PM   #6
carsonmx114
AF Regular

Re: Re: No oil pressure

i just remembered a problem i had when i rebuilt my 944. i reversed the piston and the spring in the presure valve on side of the block it's been 5 years ago since i did that so i can't remember if you would have had those parts out to replace your oil cooler o-rings but i had i problem just like yours because the piston was in backwards and it was blocking off the oil supply.
carsonmx114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 01:22 PM   #7
Pmckib
AF Newbie

I got the Porsche running today. I primed the pump through the opening for the OPRV. I used a 2' long piece 1/2" OD clear vinyl tubing. I put a bevel on the end that went into the opening for the OPRV. This allowed it to fit snug into the opening where the piston from the relief valve normally rests. I then held the tubing upright and filled it with oil. When I turned the crank backwards I could see the level of the oil in the tubing dropping as the oil pump drew the oil in. I bolted everything back together and had oil pressure back within 10 seconds of turning the engine over.

Thanks for everyones help,

Paul
Old 03-11-2005, 03:29 PM   #8
930guy
AF Enthusiast

Sorry misunderstood what you were trying to do-my bad.
930guy is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Porsche > 924/944/968