Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 09:15 PM   #1
mcooke
AF Newbie

speed sensor

I recently purchased a 1999 grand caravan with the 3.8 AWD, today the service engine light came on and I could hear relays clicking like crazy and the trans. acted pretty weird so I got the codes read and they came out as, p0500 vehicle speed sensor malfunction and p1698 pcm fault no ccd messages from tcm. My question is what is it going to take to fix this problem, do I just change the speed sensor or is this going to turn into a major project? any help with this will be very greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mark
mcooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 07:13 AM   #2
mcooke
AF Newbie

I am just wondering if anyone knows where the speed sensors and transmission control module are located on th trans.

Thanks
Old 02-22-2005, 07:50 AM   #3
theFREAKnasty82
AF Enthusiast

Re: speed sensor

more than likely, your output speed sensor has failed, it's a circular shaped object located towards the LF tire. As far as the TCM, it's located on the firewall, it's a black box with a nut in the center for the electrical connector. If you have a communication code, make sure your wires going from the TCM and PCM are intact, are not corroded and have no open or shorted wires.
theFREAKnasty82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 09:09 PM   #4
Vats
AF Regular

I have exactly the same vehicle. The speed sensors are located on the front of the transmission, either side of the solenoid pack, near the trans cooling lines. You have to remove the battery and air box to get at them. Once that is done, they are pretty easy to replace, just make sure you ahve the correct sized socket to extract them. I would do both of them as chances are if one is faulty the other will follow.
Vats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 11:41 AM   #5
mcooke
AF Newbie

update

just wanted to let everyone know that I tightend the wires on the tcm on the 22nd and everything cleared up,I have since driven approx. 400 miles with no further trouble. I will keep these sensors on hand though just in case.Thank you guys very much you have saved from having to take it to the shop and I appreciate it.

Thanks
Mark
Old 03-22-2005, 09:41 PM   #6
mcooke
AF Newbie

ok it started doing it again yesterday so Irecheched all the wiresand that didn't work so I replaced the output sensor and have the input sensor ordered and will recieve it in the morning, what should I do next? I'm thinking about changing the tcm but I'm wondering if there is something else that I should do first as the cost at the local dealer is $230+core I am also taking it tomorrow to have it flushed and filter replaced. I would appreciate any help

thanks
Old 03-23-2005, 10:45 AM   #7
mcooke
AF Newbie

where is the pcm located?
thanks
Old 03-23-2005, 05:40 PM   #8
mcooke
AF Newbie

I have now changed the input and output speed sensors and there is no change.I am now going to the dealer to order the tcm, any suggestions would be great

thanks
Old 03-23-2005, 06:58 PM   #9
1thunder
AF Enthusiast

check ignition switch do all your prnd32 lamps stay highlighted or light up
1thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 09:15 AM   #10
mcooke
AF Newbie

o.k. I have changed the input sensor,output sensor, the transmission control module,and I took it yesterday to the local dealer to have them do a quick learn but they said my van wouldn't accept it because my tranny wasn't communicating with the tcm which means that the tcm wasn't the problem.
please,please help with this
Old 04-06-2005, 12:37 PM   #11
buddhaknows
AF Newbie

Re: Re: speed sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcooke
o.k. I have changed the input sensor,output sensor, the transmission control module,and I took it yesterday to the local dealer to have them do a quick learn but they said my van wouldn't accept it because my tranny wasn't communicating with the tcm which means that the tcm wasn't the problem.
please,please help with this

Has this issue been resolved, if so, what was the problem.

Thanks
buddhaknows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 07:42 AM   #12
mcooke
AF Newbie

actually this is still an issue so it is just sitting in the driveway until I can afford to go to the dealer. I'm just really nervous about the dealer in this town as they are known for doing expensive repairs before doing the actual repair that was needed. I personally think that it is a ground problem but I can't seem to find all of the ground wires.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:42 PM   #13
rebuilder
AF Newbie

Question speed sensors

i notice people on here being told to change output speed sensors.
If you have a overdrive transmission and your speedo quits,and your trans act's funny change it.If your speedo does not quit when your trans is acting funny;;';;;;;;;;;;;their is nothing wrong with it!
people on here are giving advice about stuff they no nothing about..
caravans don't have alot of wiring problems.they have some shafing of wires atthe front of the trans where the wires cross in front of the pan.these can be repaired easily enough even by a shade tree.Don't just expect your trans to be shot because it's not working right.If you take it to the dealer you will be charged probaly a minimum of 3/4 hour to diagnose your problem.if the trans is the problem you will no it!
You drop your vehicle off at a trans shop or salvage yard ,how do you know.they call and say we installed your trans and you still have something wrong although it's not the original problem we think were going to have to put a new pcm ,tcm, or tuneup on your vehicle to get it working right before we gaurantee the trans.What do you do?The rock and the hard place come to mind.......................you say yes./you have no choice.the money has beeen spent;i'm in to deep it has to work.

Does this sound familiar?
Yes ,i work for a chrysler dealer;but guess what.I am a liscensed transmission rebuilder,and have been since 1992.I do all transmissions domestic and foreign and put quality before quantity..........terry
rebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 06:51 PM   #14
mcooke
AF Newbie

actually my speedo did quit and the trans is stuck in limp, I have changed the speed sensors and the tcm to no avail.I am still getting the same codes p0500 and p1698.I would much rather fix it myself but I don't know what to try next.I thought about changing the solenoid pack but I don't want to change something else for nothing.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:10 PM   #15
randy021186
AF Newbie

hey i got the same problem

my question is do u have a remote starter? my code is 1698
randy021186 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager