Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 11:20 PM   #1
xplay
AF Newbie

Question FX45 vs v8 Toureg vs X5 vs A6 Allroad vs You Decide...

Looking for the next car. Know it needs to be AWD and it needs to have some decent space. Here are my big requirements:

1. Handles excellent on dry/wet pavement. Has to corner well, accelerate well, responsive. Car-like, but not stiff or jarring like some sports cars.

2. Inspires confidence on those trips up to the ski mountains and summer hiking and mountain biking destinations. Surefooted on snow and ice with great control. Doesn't need to go "offroad" but does need to effortlessly cruise through 12" of fresh snow or over rutted dirt roads.

3. Needs to be worry-free.

4. Ideally can be had for $45k or less new. Typically I avoid used cars.

It's looking like the Toureg, but I want so bad to want the FX45 because it's so sexy. But I have big questions as to value--why is the FX so expensive? It should cost no more than the Acura MDX or Lexus RX. And I have never heard of Nissan making an amazing AWD system, so that worries me as well.

The Toureg on the other hand shares its platform with the Cayenne and is supposedly god-like offroad, but I have heard that the v6 is sluggish and I haven't heard anything about the v8.

And what about the X5. It's not too outdated yet, is it? I have heard nothing but bad things about the X3, but there's been nothing said about the X5 lately... is it just outclassed by the newer cross-overs on the market?

Am I missing any? (I considered the Volvo XC90, but consumer reports just gave it a really bad reliability rating...)
xplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 02:48 AM   #2
NISSANSPDR
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to NISSANSPDR
Re: FX45 vs v8 Toureg vs X5 vs A6 Allroad vs You Decide...

FX45...just the damn sexiest SUV ever!

NISSANSPDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 05:43 AM   #3
crayzayjay
CFA

Re: Re: FX45 vs v8 Toureg vs X5 vs A6 Allroad vs You Decide...

The X5 is far from outclassed, dynamically it's probably still the best off-roader on-road, if you exclude the Porsche Cayenne of course. The A6 Allroad is supposed to be very good on the road as well but i'm not a big fan. The Touareg looks too anonymous for my liking though the V10 Tdi offers heaps of torque, im not sure if its sold in the US though.
The FX 45, i'll be honest, i dont know a lot about, but it does look good. And as for Nissan never making an amazing AWD system? Uh... hello? Skyline?
crayzayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 06:41 AM   #4
freakonaleash1187
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to freakonaleash1187 Send a message via MSN to freakonaleash1187

the x5 is outdated and outclassed, never thought i would say that of a bmw. the toureg is too plain of styling and i still cant get that its a vw. the audi looks to much like a station wagon for my tastes. the fx45 is the best one out of these, actually, i think it is the best suv beside the cayenne. i love how it looks and it is the only suv (again, besides the cayenne) that i actually stare at when i see one.

ZedEx Crew Member #2
freakonaleash1187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 06:52 AM   #5
Jimster
Here for the pussy, man.

Send a message via ICQ to Jimster Send a message via AIM to Jimster Send a message via Yahoo to Jimster

The Touareg here is the only one that can actually tackle the rough stuff and if you were to get the V10 TDi (Coming to the US soon) you're instantly onto a winner, I also like the styling and the innovative interior. So naturally, the Touareg is my choice.

Of course, due to it being a proper Off Roader the on road ride isn't as good as an X5, but it's not so bad that you'll notice any real difference.

2007 Audi A4 3.0 TDI Le Mans
Jimster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 07:16 AM   #6
crayzayjay
CFA

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakonaleash1187
the x5 is outdated and outclassed
Oh i see, you've driven one, have you?
The X5 may have been around for longer than most but it's still the creme de la creme on the black stuff.
Old 02-13-2004, 07:20 AM   #7
freakonaleash1187
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to freakonaleash1187 Send a message via MSN to freakonaleash1187

im just saying that from people i have talked to. plus, the design is really aging and when i see one, i just look aways cuz it is not interesting to look at. give me a chance to drive it and i will, i will drive any car that you give me a chance to.

ZedEx Crew Member #2
Old 02-13-2004, 07:22 AM   #8
crayzayjay
CFA

In that case, "these people you've talked to" dont know how to drive. The truth hurts..
Old 02-13-2004, 07:55 AM   #9
NISSANSPDR
AF Fanatic

The FX45 is powered by the same V8 engine that is in the Q45...so 4.5 liter V8 creating about 315hp & 329tq...other cool things...optional 20 inch wheels...yeah....dubs from the factory baby...lol...11 speakers...weight distribution 54/46...0-60 in 6.3 seconds (remember...SUV here)

Definitely the best SUV out of the bunch...

(sidebar: Cayenne Turbo is just sick)

Old 02-13-2004, 08:28 AM   #10
xplay
AF Newbie

AWD on the FX?

So could somebody tell me about the FX's AWD, traction control, and suspension systems? I know it's fast. What I don't know is this: is it just an altima with nice sheet metal and a big engine (this is the complaint I have heard of the new Z, which many have said is beautiful but underwhelming compared to similar cars in its price range (PLEASE: do NOT reply about the Z!!! I do not want to turn this thread into a debate about the Z, if you have an issue, feel free to PM me, but I'm not in the market for a 2-seater) or is it really a well-engineered all-weather vehicle?

Can the FX take the rough stuff as well as, say, the Toureg? I don't know anything about the skyline and it has never been sold in the US.

Outside of the US, what is the price difference between the Toureg v8 and the v10. We don't have the v10 here and I would consider it, although I'm concerned if I start to push the gas mileage any lower than the v8 and I will probably never tow anything.
Old 02-13-2004, 11:24 AM   #11
freakonaleash1187
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: FX45 vs v8 Toureg vs X5 vs A6 Allroad vs You Decide...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayzayjay
In that case, "these people you've talked to" dont know how to drive. The truth hurts..
i was just saying what i heard and the truth isn't hurting me. but hey, if you say the x5 isnt outclassed, then thats cool. i dont pay much attention to suv's except the fx45 and the cayenne. sorry if you thought i was bashing on the x5.

ZedEx Crew Member #2
Old 02-13-2004, 02:40 PM   #12
NISSANSPDR
AF Fanatic

Re: AWD on the FX?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplay
So could somebody tell me about the FX's AWD, traction control, and suspension systems?
The AWD system is probably the same they use on the G35x and the Skyline GTR...the ATTESSA system...which is really an on demand AWD system...normally it's a RWD car...but when trouble hits...it can distribute torque to the front wheels...very sophisticated and very good.

Old 02-13-2004, 03:59 PM   #13
Jimster
Here for the pussy, man.

Send a message via ICQ to Jimster Send a message via AIM to Jimster Send a message via Yahoo to Jimster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISSANSPDR
The FX45 is powered by the same V8 engine that is in the Q45...so 4.5 liter V8 creating about 315hp & 329tq...other cool things...optional 20 inch wheels...yeah....dubs from the factory baby...lol...11 speakers...weight distribution 54/46...0-60 in 6.3 seconds (remember...SUV here)

Definitely the best SUV out of the bunch...

(sidebar: Cayenne Turbo is just sick)
It's the best SAV

Gotta love BMW for coining that class name

2007 Audi A4 3.0 TDI Le Mans
Jimster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 10:43 PM   #14
xplay
AF Newbie

More FX AWD questions

So autos.msn.com says that the AWD system is from the QX45.

One reviewer, Dan Jedlicka, says, without explanation:

Quote:
The FX comes with rear-drive or an all-wheel-drive system not designed for off-road use.
What does *that* mean? And where does onroad become offroad... how much snow must fall between me and the road before it's considered offroading?
Old 02-13-2004, 11:31 PM   #15
NISSANSPDR
AF Fanatic

Re: More FX AWD questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplay
What does *that* mean? And where does onroad become offroad... how much snow must fall between me and the road before it's considered offroading?
I'd say that what they mean is if you want to go offroading, go get stuck or do some hill climbs a la Camel Discovery style...this is not your SUV/SAV

But if the roads become snowed, iced or slippery due to rain, mud, sand, etc...it'd be ok there...

That's how I may interpret it