Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 08:28 PM   #16
tlbrewer
AF Newbie

Re: 2003 GC SE Overhead Console Installation

Where, other than ebay, can I get an overhead console for a 2003 Grand Caravan. Thanks.
tlbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 08:36 PM   #17
tlbrewer
AF Newbie

Question installation

Ok. Seeing this thread spurred me to purchase an overhead console with the homelink system, whatever that is. Now the important question. Did I just bite off more than I can chew?

I have a 2003 Grand Caravan with the rear a/c controls. How do I install the console? Do I have to cut into the headliner? Do I need to put in a new headliner? Which is what the dodge parts person said.

It is tough being poor and having more money that sense. Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-13-2004, 07:24 AM   #18
njcbaumann
AF Newbie

I purchased the 2003 service manual and have been studying the wiring diagrams and wiring location diagrams. Either obtain a service manual, or in most cases, the Dodge/Chrysler dealer will let you look at them.
This is my plan for the wifes 2003 SE.

I ordered a new bracket 5028069AA, wiring harnesses 4869258AC, 4869251AE and temp sensor 56042395 from dodgeparts.com.
My 2003 SE does not have rear a/c so I needed the wiring harnesses. You will need to check if you need them or not. If there is a 12 prong plug for the console tucked in the headliner, then you are lucky.
I havn't received the parts yet so I am not certain, but I plan on cutting the headliner, removing the old bracket, and glueing the new bracket to the roof with pl200 construction adhesive.
I will need to fabricate a wiring harness for the temp sensor and plug it into the correct pins on the PCM which is by the battery.
The wires that run to the headliner are located behind the right pillar cover down by the floor where the passenger seat belt goes into.
Fortunately the 5 wires I need for the overhead console were all there. The other wires in the overhead console are for power doors, power lift gate, and other things I don't have.
I could not find pins for the harness I am fabricating so I will be splicing them into the wires in the jack.

In another week or two, I should have the final outcome.

Jim.
njcbaumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 09:43 PM   #19
Ghostman
AF Newbie

This link may help you all with the installation of the EVIC.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jsalbre/jeep/evic/
Ghostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 07:40 AM   #20
njcbaumann
AF Newbie

Thanks for the link. Generally, this is what I was planning on doing.
I didn't think about using the dummy console for the rear seats. If I can get the head liner to flex enough, I will install the dummy console in the rear. The wiring is different for my 2003 Caravan but that is to be expected. I would be curious to know if the jeep consoles would work in the Caravans.
My wiring harness and temp sensor should arrive Friday, so I can start working on it this weekend if the weather is nice.

Thanks again,

Jim.
Old 01-21-2004, 08:59 AM   #21
mpanderson
AF Newbie

Jim,

I just stumbled onto this site and am glad I to see that I am not the only one trying to install an overhead console.

I was wonder how your installation was going? Was the bracket you order, 5028069AA, the only piece you needed to mount the console and about how much was it? The dealerships I have talked to about the bracket haven't been much help. Did the wiring harness. 4869258AC you ordered work? My orginal plan was to tap into a data wire on the diagnostic port under the dash, I can't remember the wire color off hand, for the trip computer infomation and use the existing overhead lights for the power source. Lastly did you determine the correct pins on FCM to plug the temp. sensor into?

Thanks for any infomation you can provide.
Mark
mpanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 07:23 AM   #22
njcbaumann
AF Newbie

Last weekend, I installed the overhead console.
The only wiring harness I needed was 4869251AE.
I ordered it from dodgeparts.com but had to call them because it was not on their database. The price was $63.06 + shipping.
It has all the necessary jacks for the overhead console and plugs into the jack behind the cover for the right seat belt down by the floor.
I had to snake it up into the headliner and it replaces the existing harness for the dummy console. I had to carefully cut the headliner and the plastic brace that runs along the front of the headliner so I could fit the new console in.
The trip computer and compass worked right away, however, it seems that the distance to empty registers for an 18 gallon tank not a 20 gallon tank.
I don't know if there is anything I can do about that. The bracket was already there. Right now, the front of the console is only supported by the headliner. I guess I may need to do something if the headliner starts to sag.
As for the temp, it reads -40 which in Minnesota at this time of year could be accurate. It was -10 this morning. Wires for the temp sensor are not connected yet. I think I will need to make a harness and may salvage pins and wires from the old overhead harness. If the compass says cal, drive in 3 complete circles at 5mph and it should go away. Temp sensor wires go to the pcm
Temp Sensor to C1 connector on the IPM.
Signal wire is vt/lg to C1 IPM Pin 9. Return wire is Vt/Br to C1 IPM Pin 18. These should connect to the proper pins on the FCM which is attached to it.

Let me know how it goes and if there is a wiring harness available for the temp sensor, or how to set the computer for a 20 gallon fuel tank. Remember I was doing this on a 2003 SE without Rear Air.

Good luck.

Jim.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:08 AM   #23
mpanderson
AF Newbie

Jim,

Thanks for the update.

I should clarify that I am working a base Chrylser Town & Country with rear air, but I assume most items are the same. What do you mean by dummy console? Currently where the console will go I have a dual dome/reading light. This piece attaches to a bracket in the headliner like the console will. What I can see of the existing bracket, its smaller than what the new console needs. Did your van have a larger fixture before you installed the console therefore the console used the same bracket?

Second question. Where is the IPM? I assumed the the temp. sensor was wired into the FCM, which I believe is in front of the battery on the driver side of the engine compartment.

Thanks
Mark
Old 01-22-2004, 08:26 AM   #24
njcbaumann
AF Newbie

By dummy console, I ment the one with the dual dome/map lights. I am guessing that there is a plastic plate that fits in the headliner for the bigger/trip console but I did not locate one.

When I cut the headliner, I could see the metal bracket I purchased but didn't need. I drilled a hole in it and ran a screw through the hole in the storage compartment at the rear of the console I installed. My console has a screw securing it at the rear and is supported by the headliner on the sides and in front. The headliner is fairly stiff and is supporting it well for now. If the headliner starts to sag in the front, I will probably glue a block of wood to the roof and headliner at the front.
Because your van has rear A/C it may already have the needed wiring. I was told by the Dodge Dealer that I only needed the wiring harness because I did not have rear air.
As for the IPM (integrated power module), it is located on the drivers side right next to the battery. It contains all the fuses. The FCM is the metal rectangle that is fastened to the front of the IPM and is connected to the IPM. The diagrams showed the wires in the harness I listed plugging into the bottom of the IPM which in turn are connected to the FCM. I won't be looking at it until this Spring. If I am real lucky, the harness for the temp sensor may be there already. According to the diagrams, the temp sensor plugs in on the bottom of the radiator support in the middle on the front. I am at work and do not have the diagrams handy, but I hope this helps.

Jim
Old 01-22-2004, 10:10 AM   #25
mpanderson
AF Newbie

I will have to check to see if the wiring is there. I don't remember if there any extra wiring when I installed the rear seat entertainment system.

The dealers I have talked to have not been able to get a part number for the plastic bracket needed to go above the headliner. If I am luck maybe I will find one at a salavge yard. I will have to explore your idea of just screwing the console to the existing structure above the headliner. Your are correct about the headliner being pretty stiff. I don't dropped it when I installed the rear seat entertainment system and there is a lot of rigid plastic structure there.

If there is an existing harness for the temp. sensor, it must be taped into the main harness. I looked under a 2003 Caravan at the dealership and the sensor wiring runs directly into the main harness behind the bumper. Now that I have the IPM pin numbers I can see if the wires are there. Otherwise it should not be to hard to run two wires. But like you this will probably have to wail until spring since it is curretnly -4 here is Wisconsin.

Thanks for all the infomation.
Mark
Old 01-22-2004, 10:23 AM   #26
njcbaumann
AF Newbie

The metal bracket (part# 5028069AA) was what I purchased but didn't need because there was one already there. That is what I was hoping was the support bracket for the new console. That is what I drilled a hole in and fastened the rear of the new console to with a screw. In the front, I just made sure that I didn't cut more than I needed so I could wedge the console in at the front and put the screw in at the rear.

Let me know how it goes and if your distance until empty reads for an 18 gallon or 20 gallon tank.
I did the math and the number just doesn't come out right.
I would like to get this adjusted if possible.

Jim.
Old 01-22-2004, 03:44 PM   #27
tlbrewer
AF Newbie

Bracket

FYI Guys,

I just saw a console with the plastic bracket listed on ebay.

Tom
Old 02-29-2004, 01:08 PM   #28
tlbrewer
AF Newbie

FYI, I found the plastic bracket for my console at a junkyard yesterday. The part number is 005028057AA. Good luck to all.
Old 03-05-2004, 05:21 PM   #29
mpanderson
AF Newbie

Jim,

Thanks for the bracket part number. I was able to to order it from Dodge, $46 and have installed console.

I seem to have a problem the the trip computer, when I press the C/T button I get a blank screen. When I press it again it goes back the temp. and compass. I used the existing dummy console's plug to operate the console's lights and those work fine. The console came with the plug and short piece of the wiring harness for the trip computer. From the pieces of wiring diagrams I have and looking at the wirings by the passenger seat seat belt, I believe I needed to run 4 wires. Black/white and black/blue for ground, white/violet for the PCI bus, gray/red for ignition off power and white/pink for ignition off power. I assume the PCI bus wiring is suppose to link the trip computer up with main computer. From what you know, is there anything I missed that would cause the trip computer to not work?

Thanks
Mark
Old 03-27-2004, 05:32 PM   #30
tlbrewer
AF Newbie

It took a while, but I got the console in. With only a minor problem. I cut the whole a little to big in the front. Glued some excess headliner back on it. It looks like it has stitches. The AE harness was what I used, but it had an extra plug that I do not know it function. It is tucked into the headliner. I still have a question about the temp sensor though. I got one from dodgeparts, but where does it go and how would I wire it up? BTW, this is for 2003 Grand Caravan. Thanks for all your help, I could not, would not have done this without your input.

Thanks,

Tom

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager