Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 10:03 PM   #16
bobdoles
AF Newbie

Re: A/C problem with 1999 malibu

i live in florida. It is really hot right know. Ignoring it is hard to do in Florida. I don't think anybody has fixed this problem. oh well thanks anyway.
bobdoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 10:00 AM   #17
sadavid2000
AF Newbie

I have a 98 malibu ls and had the same problem. They replaced the control under warranty but I didn't ask specifics.
sadavid2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 03:13 PM   #18
Dan McNerney
AF Newbie

The HVAC control module is a one piece plastic unit consisting of the Blower speed switch, variable temp setting, air delivery position switch, as well as the 4 buttons underneath these switches. It is located directly under the radio. The following link, which is really for replacing the radio, will tell you how to remove the trim around it as well as show the control module without the trim installed.

http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereor...MalibuStrR.htm
Dan McNerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 03:37 PM   #19
Dan McNerney
AF Newbie

Remove the ignition key trim cover. Pry off with a flat bladed tool.
Gently pull the plate (1) rearward in order to disengage the retainers from the instrument panel (3).
Disconnect the cigarette lighter (2) connector.
Disconnect the cigarette lighter (2) electrical connector.
Remove the trim plate (1).
Dan McNerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 03:02 PM   #20
donsixtyfive
AF Newbie

control module

The control module is the whole cluster of buttons and dials for the climate system.

Easy to replace, the trim around the whole center stack just snaps off. Then remove the two small screws holding the panel in. Takes about 15 minutes or so, depending on your ability. the part is about $159 from GM, not sure I'd buy from an aftermarket since GM may have updated the part to fix recurring problems and an aftermarket may not have.

Hope it helps.
donsixtyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 06:48 AM   #21
george_malibu
Banned

Sounds like a recall dont you think? My '98 is doing it too and it was replaced in 01. That one too does the blinky blinky on off.

LAW SUIT!!!!!
george_malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 07:02 AM   #22
BeatnikTermite
AF Regular

Do not replace the head unit. The problem is almost assuredly dirty contacts. There have been many people on this board, including myself, that had the same problem. Remove the trim, remove the unit, clean it as shown in the link below, and it should work just fine. I have done this and have been flicker-free for over six months, including the past week where it has been 85 degrees, with nearly 100% humidity. Plus this fix is free.

Go to:
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=324015
Old 06-09-2005, 07:24 AM   #23
Eyebolt
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatnikTermite
Do not replace the head unit. The problem is almost assuredly dirty contacts. There have been many people on this board, including myself, that had the same problem. Remove the trim, remove the unit, clean it as shown in the link below, and it should work just fine. I have done this and have been flicker-free for over six months, including the past week where it has been 85 degrees, with nearly 100% humidity. Plus this fix is free.

Go to:

I guess I found what fix I'm gonna try first...my wife's had this problem for a while, but has gotten progressively worse in her 2000 Mailibu. She's just been complaining about it agian because the temps here in Michigan have been up in the 90's lately with high 90-100% humidity...it's like August in June...
Eyebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 09:28 AM   #24
breugel
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatnikTermite

Go to:

I cleaned it a couple of weeks ago and it now seems to work fine.
breugel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 02:22 PM   #25
billeatsrat
AF Newbie

Re: Re: A/C problem with 1999 malibu

You need to be mechanically inclined, have a steady hand, and some patience to fix the problem. The problem is a bad connection on the temperature control between a springy copper metal contact and the carbon plating on the printed circuit board.

You need to remove the black plastic cover around the key hole. With some pushing and pulling you should be able to pop out the grey plastic cover that goes over the radio and AC controls. I cannot remember if the screw at the bottom left of the panel has to be removed in order to completely remove the plastic cover. You may need to start the car to move the gear shifter out of the way so that the gray plastic cover is out of your way.

With the ignition off and the keys out:
Remove the three AC control knobs. A small flat blade screwdriver to pry under the knobs might help if they seem stuck. Carefully.

Remove the two outer screws that secures the AC switch panel to the dash.
Very carefully pry the front and back covers apart and be careful not to lose any of the plastic pieces that fall out. If you are really careful none of the plastic buttons will fall out of place.
Once the front and rear halves are separated you should be able to see the copper fingers on the center control and the carbon plating on the printed circuit board.
Carefully bend the copper fingers outward just a little using your finger. Take a very clean white towel and wipe down the carbon plating. Use a little bit of water on the rag if the carbon plating is visibly dirty. WARNING: Do not use any solvent, anything abrasive, or switch cleaner on the plating and do not rub hard when cleaning the surface.

Carefully reassemble the control panel and the reinstall. It usually lasts me about a year or so before the problem reoccurs. I have a 98 Malibu and I have been doing this same procedure for the last 4 years.

It is a very bad design flaw and I am sure that GM service centers are making a bundle on this one.

Hope this helps.

Bill
billeatsrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 11:16 PM   #26
MyBluMalibu
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to MyBluMalibu Send a message via MSN to MyBluMalibu Send a message via Yahoo to MyBluMalibu

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbharry
This is a normal problem with '97-'99 (and possibly later) Malibus. The problem is NOT in the A/C unit. It's what GM calls the "control module". Basically a cheap dash part. Mine has been replaced three times, on my '98 LS, all under GMPP, so have no idea about the cost. The A/C is fine; it's the dash unit. GM is known for excellent A/C. If only the dash switch cooperated.....
Yes, I am having the same issue on my 98 as far as the 1 and 2 not working could you help me on why it does not blow? Only 3-5 work? I have also posted my other issues on here as well that maybe or maybe not you can help? Thanks so much!!! Carla (MyBluMalibu)
MyBluMalibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:38 AM   #27
micosan
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdoles
just wondering if any body knows were the control module is and how hard it is to replace it. any help would be greatly app.
http://www.aircondition.com/tech/get...xlLnBkZg%3D%3D
micosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:16 AM   #28
BeatnikTermite
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by billeatsrat
You need to be mechanically inclined, have a steady hand, and some patience to fix the problem. The problem is a bad connection on the temperature control between a springy copper metal contact and the carbon plating on the printed circuit board.

You need to remove the black plastic cover around the key hole. With some pushing and pulling you should be able to pop out the grey plastic cover that goes over the radio and AC controls. I cannot remember if the screw at the bottom left of the panel has to be removed in order to completely remove the plastic cover. You may need to start the car to move the gear shifter out of the way so that the gray plastic cover is out of your way.

With the ignition off and the keys out:
Remove the three AC control knobs. A small flat blade screwdriver to pry under the knobs might help if they seem stuck. Carefully.

Remove the two outer screws that secures the AC switch panel to the dash.
Very carefully pry the front and back covers apart and be careful not to lose any of the plastic pieces that fall out. If you are really careful none of the plastic buttons will fall out of place.
Once the front and rear halves are separated you should be able to see the copper fingers on the center control and the carbon plating on the printed circuit board.
Carefully bend the copper fingers outward just a little using your finger. Take a very clean white towel and wipe down the carbon plating. Use a little bit of water on the rag if the carbon plating is visibly dirty. WARNING: Do not use any solvent, anything abrasive, or switch cleaner on the plating and do not rub hard when cleaning the surface.

Carefully reassemble the control panel and the reinstall. It usually lasts me about a year or so before the problem reoccurs. I have a 98 Malibu and I have been doing this same procedure for the last 4 years.

It is a very bad design flaw and I am sure that GM service centers are making a bundle on this one.

Hope this helps.

Bill

All of this is addressed in the link I posted at the top of the page, and is the same in the link above by micosan, but those include pictures.

Also, I would not recommend cleaning electric components with water, ever.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:44 PM   #29
Philoushka
AF Newbie

This fix worked for me. No more mysterious auto-off-AC. Thanks to OP.
Philoushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 07:51 AM   #30
Speedy_1234
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Speedy_1234 Send a message via Yahoo to Speedy_1234

Well, My started to no cool they insterted the computer the fan clutch would not go in the car had freon the controls were fine the Special Fuse it use was ok the relay was ok But the Mech told me it might be the coil So I change the coil and what do you know the ac was working agian with out changing the ac compersor and with out taking it apart which save me in the freon stuff.