Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 07:28 PM   #91
dokar
AF Newbie

Re: EveryOne with Transmission problems... A Chrysler Secret...! Read This...!

1995 vision. Saturday went into limp mode for first time. 167,000 miles. over the passed year I have been experiencing. wiring issues. hard uneven running for first 10 minutes then CEL comes on and car ran fine. Did the code reading. and it would state a new problem shortly after fixing the previous one. To start TPS changed. Symptoms came back a week later. Went to a mechanic this time. Change TPS connector. Week later again. I changed air flow and MAP. week later if i touched barely the MAP connector, the car would die. Pulled pins out and found 2 female were loose. a month later ignition pack. Then the ignition connector 1 out of 4 was loose. Then Crank position sensor. That was done by the mechanic again and I asked him to check all grounds feeling this is a signal problem. That is still how I feel about this now limp mode issue. I cannot retrieve tranny codes (dont know how) eng codes are 12 - batt disconnected and 55 - end of codes. Did a voltage test at eatx relay. Get 12V on one and only .05 on the control when ign is turned on. Opened and checked harness to PCM and pulled pcm. Opened and checked harness to tcm and pulled tcm. No pin on tcm gives me a reading of more the .5V. pin 56 and 57 are suppose to be my 12v. but 56 is not used on my tcm. I dont know which one is the 12v supply. Have a feeling its a connector issue or wire. I dont have a lift and try to worm my hand to the connector under the car at tranny is a pain. Got to input through wheel well. Output is nestled between body and cat. Was looking for the infamous splice everyone is talking about. The only thing close I could find was three wires leaving the tcm. red black and white/b that go into their own wrap with a shield wire. But those 3 all come out together by the top right strut. Thought i was onto something though when I noticed the radiator blow off runs right onto the wring harness along the pass. chassis rail. Opened the loom and everything was caked with old anti freeze. but all wires looked still good. Did anybody ever figure this out? Car runs great, quiet now except for the limp mode. Dont want to drop a tranny in it if its still going to screw up. Where is this SPLICE everyone is talking about? Thanks in advance

Last edited by dokar; 04-12-2016 at 09:43 PM.
dokar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 02:48 PM   #92
dokar
AF Newbie

Well I just spend hours on the car. Pulled the harness from the tray all the way to the junction box and found nothing. No mysterious splice. Pulled the fuse box and traced the black signal wire from the eatx relay. Pulled the loom from fuse box to pcm drivers wall to tcm pass wall then from there to junction box. Again, nothing. This has to be an electrical problem. The eatx still only gets .05v with ignition on. Checkerboard the grounds as well
dokar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:19 PM   #93
Herpu Sesoa
AF Newbie

the spliced wires are located about 3 inches from the TCM on the passenger side firewall for my 94 Dodge caravan. my van has not gone into limp mode since cleaning these two wires and reattaching them together. I also recall a post where its stated about a purple wire being cut and which kept the TCM from thinking that the transmission is over heating, i see the same cut and splice in the wire loom for some people wires. I'm wondering if that could possibly be corrosion causing those wires issues as well.
pics attached:

https://goo.gl/photos/GumTeTBivWZXNrwG8

https://goo.gl/photos/4EP8U9EZ3GaHGG5C6

https://goo.gl/photos/jBRPLsK5AhueJTST6

Last edited by Herpu Sesoa; 06-19-2017 at 05:25 PM. Reason: added a pic
Herpu Sesoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:44 PM   #94
cowboystuff
AF Newbie

Well, been working this problem for about a year and a half, trying this and that and everything everyone else suggests. So about 8 months ago I bought off ebay, a Chrysler DRBII diagnostic scan tool. $500, and I also bought the most important thing to go with it. The 1993-1994 41TE / AE Transaxle Powertrain Diagnostic Procedures manual. Also a Chrysler book. The scan tool, shows you the codes that don't show up with your check engine light. I had to start reading the books instructions right from the front just to understand the whole deal. The book is easy to understand and easy to use. You can check a lot of things using a multimeter, but knowing the actual codes sure is necessary. Before you start replacing the TCM and ECM, there are paths to take to diagnose your problems and they are easy to check. The codes I finally showed up with three days ago were; besides 12, (battery was recently disconnected) 13, 15 & 19. So 13 was Internal Controller (watchdog circuit test), 19 was BUS communication with PCM or ECM, and 15 Relay always off. 15 was the clue for me, as I'd already threw money at this thing replacing things. 15 was the TCM relay, so I had to start checking all the wires connected to it, and the connections in the TCM 60 pin plug, for proper connections and no shorts. First I made shure the power wires were flawless, and respliced where necessary. What I found was the ground wires coming from the relay needed resplicing. I also checked the connections on the shift pack. I also cheecked and cleaned all the ground connections on engine and trans and the one on the AC low pressure valve on the firewall. I also used Dielectric grease on the 60 pin plug when I put it back in the TCM. It seems to be working fine now. I've also replaced the speed sensors and every other sensor I could find, in the effort of throwing money at it. Never hurts to have all brand new though. When I originally used the DRBII Diagnostic scanner, I went through a lot of tests checking the trans, and did find, that the OD clutches were slipping badly and the trans did need a rebuild. They replace a bunch of stuff, along with some fractured planatary gears. Check ebay for the book for your car and if you can find a Chrysler garage that still has a DRBII, or a friend that has one, that would help. If you replace the TCM, you absolutely do need the use of a DRBII to do a relearn, after the install, rebuild, or even a fluid change in the trans, which does require special fluid too. I've included here a pic of my book.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q..._p-VnJaXwzFQnn
cowboystuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:54 PM   #95
cowboystuff
AF Newbie

Something else I did along the way was on the accessory cable that plugs into the positive battery cable, had some bad and broken connections in it and there were a bunch of fusable links feeding off it to various points, like the TCM and more. So I pulled the harness up and started fixing positive connections in there and replacing burnt fusable links. Quite possible in newer vehicles they added that fuse panel under the hood, replacing fusable links, and that sure would have made things a lot easier for me.
Old 04-22-2021, 03:07 PM   #96
Emilykathlene
AF Newbie

I I own two Vans with the a604/ 41 t e FWD automatic transmission. My 95 Plymouth Grand Voyager Le has a 3.8 L engine in it and my 98 Dodge Grand Caravan SE has a 3.3 L engine. The Plymouth Voyager transmission has a problem. No drive or reverse the vehicle will not move. I have gone to other sites and read some possible ways to troubleshoot this problem. A link to one such site is http://jerickweb.50webs.com/autobin/Chry_Trans_Tip.html

I don't know if it was in here or not where it said one thing you can do is try to start your car while it's in gear and if it starts it means the transmission is stuck in neutral. I don't remember if there was a solution for that problem though LOL but that's easy enough even for my skill level
It's important for me to tell you that I am not a mechanic in any way. So anything I give you here if it's not applicable please don't tell me in a rude way how ignorant I am. I would agree with you I am ignorant when it comes to being a mechanic. But with the wonderful internet and forums I have actually fixed some mechanical problems just by following the directions to fix the problem I Googled. The things I'm going to reference, I plan to try next time I get brave enough to go try to fix the Grand Voyager again. The times between attempts for me can be weeks or months as I don't even know many engine components are located let alone be able to detect a malfunction . It's very frustrating ! This thread appears to me to be created by knowledgeable participants. Thanks to you I think I can locate my Van's "brains" on both firewalls. I will then attempt to not destroy my voltmeter or the car as I test for wiring issues y'all have described very well, with warnings. maybe even well enough for me to follow

thank you all for being here and being so willing to help .
Emilykathlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 06:35 AM   #97
cowboystuff
AF Newbie

Hi Emilykathlene
I gather there are no problems with the 98 Dodge Grand Caravan. But I'll mention, that you can use the OBD II scan tool to diagnose code problems for that one.
With the 95 Plymouth Grand Voyager that scan too will not work. You would have to use the OBD I scan to tool to diagnose problems, but that still may not tell you about any problems with your car.
My scan tool does both OBD I and OBD II scans, but it's pretty much useless on my 93 Plymouth Grand Voyager.
I did eventually find on ebay a DRB II Chrysler scan tool to diagnose mine, but it was $500, but well worth it. It will diagnose your TCM and the ECM, plus read the codes, can clear the codes, do electrical adjustments and do the quick relearn on the TCM. Transmission Control Module. Ok, enough of that.
First thing, is your shift linkage properly connected? Did you or somebody change the transmission fluid. I checked that link about fluid. The absolutely only fluid you can use in that transmission is ATF+4
They don't go by the old numbers for that anymore.
Ok, your problem could be any number of things, including resoldering all those multi wire red wire connections. May or may not even do anything.
I replaced the plug connections on both speed sensors and the bigger one that plugs into the Transmission shift pack.
I have also replaced the TCM, ECM and Transmission Shift pack to no avail. That's an expensive ordeal.
TCM is Transmission Control Module (not a brain) ECM is Engine Control Module, (again, not a brain).
Have you tried to start your engine in neutral or drive or low or reverse just to see what happens. That could be a neutral switch problem, maybe.
After spending months trying to diagnose and fix the problem, to no avail, I did end up buying that DRB II Chrysler Scan tool off ebay.
With that, you go through a series of tests, and in 10 minutes, it told me that I needed to have my transmission rebuilt, because the discs and clutches were worn out.
I did have it rebuilt twice. The 2nd time under warrenty tho. But that still did not end the problems. After that all my problems were/are electronic.
Bad wires, bad connections, replacing plug connections, etc. I also made sure that the black and white wire, bus connection was proper. I checked continuity of the wire connections at both ends.
Even after that I bought out right, a new TCM and Shift pack just for spare to switch back and forth.
It's always been a problem going into Limp mode for apparently no reason.
So, if your shift linkage is ok, and it only starts in park, or maybe neutral too, and no one has put the wrong transmission fluid in it (which would require a transmission rebuild).
So, unless you have a transmission shop or Chrysler dealer that's been in business for 30 years, you'll need to find a Transmission shop with a MAC Diagnosing set that can check it out for you, maybe.
Try this too; disconnect the negative battery cable then the positive battery cable and then touch the two of them together, not the battery, just the cables while disconnected, and leave them disconnected for at least a half hour. This drains all the residual power in the system. You're probably going to end up having the transmission rebuilt, but if nobody had already put the wrong fluid in it, you could try replacing the shift pack down on the transmission and the two speed sensors down there too. There are videos on youtube showing you how. Do a search on google images for pics of your transmission showing you the speed sensors and shift pack.
I don't know if it was in here or not where it said one thing you can do is try to start your car while it's in gear and if it starts it means the transmission is stuck in neutral. I don't remember if there was a solution for that problem though LOL but that's easy enough even for my skill level
It's important for me to tell you that I am not a mechanic in any way. So anything I give you here if it's not applicable please don't tell me in a rude way how ignorant I am. I would agree with you I am ignorant when it comes to being a mechanic. But with the wonderful internet and forums I have actually fixed some mechanical problems just by following the directions to fix the problem I Googled. The things I'm going to reference, I plan to try next time I get brave enough to go try to fix the Grand Voyager again. The times between attempts for me can be weeks or months as I don't even know many engine components are located let alone be able to detect a malfunction . It's very frustrating ! This thread appears to me to be created by knowledgeable participants. Thanks to you I think I can locate my Van's "brains" on both firewalls. I will then attempt to not destroy my voltmeter or the car as I test for wiring issues y'all have described very well, with warnings. maybe even
well enough for me to follow