Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 10:51 AM   #1
300GTkid
AF Newbie

5th Gear Pops Out

Hello i'm new here. I was crusin on the highway for about 30min with no problems but once i get to the bumpy parts and acclerate a bit it will just pop out. I will put it back in and 2min later it will pop back out, i put it back and and it stayed in for about 30min before i took the ramp off. The shifter is weird it will stay between 5th and reverse instead of going to neutral. It kinda pulls away from fifth gear, It very tight, not loose like it should be. it should go back into neutral with ease yet it always stays between 5th and reverse or 1st and 2nd gear. The transmission was recently replaced. Dosen't grind going into fifth. I drove to 1hour on the freeway last time and it never gave me this problem. Yet before that time i drove about 5 min a bumpy road and it popped out and then i put it back in and stayed in. Under some accleration it sometimes comes out. What could this be?
300GTkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:44 AM   #2
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Re: 5th Gear Pops Out

Stake nut on 5th gear is loose. Do NOT use 5th until you fix this.

You have to remove the end case on the transmisson and you will see two large nuts (36mm if my memory serves me correctly). The one for fifth has most likely worked itself loose. You need to tighten it and restake the nut.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:30 PM   #3
300GTkid
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthee

You have to remove the end case on the transmisson and you will see two large nuts (36mm if my memory serves me correctly). The one for fifth has most likely worked itself loose. You need to tighten it and restake the nut.
If i drive in fourth gear on long trips like i normaly would in 5th gear would it mess up 4th gear , until i can get 5th gear fixed fixed.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:41 PM   #4
VR43000GT
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to VR43000GT

No, it shouldn't. While 4th gear will temporarily get more wear, it will be very little in comparison to it's lifespan. You will be getting worse mileage on the highways for the time being but it is worth not using 5th gear until it is fixed.

VR43000GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:25 PM   #5
300GTkid
AF Newbie

Quote:

Is this hard to do or should i take it to a shop. if 5th gear was used( Which it's not being used at all now) what damage could it cost. And how much i'm i looking at in repairs
Old 09-29-2008, 09:49 PM   #6
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

If you continue to use fifth it could completely come apart and destroy your transmission case/
Old 09-29-2008, 09:59 PM   #7
300GTkid
AF Newbie

Quote:
If you continue to use fifth it could completely come apart and destroy your transmission case/
Oh $h!T , no i'm not using it but if i took it to a reputable shop how much would they charge. Another question. MY shifter is really wierd it wont go into neutral unlessed forced it will stay between 1st and 2nd and 5th and revesre pretty firmly. The dealership where i bought it from said the transmission is new. Your answer popped up alot on my other searches so i think your right , but what is making my shifter so wierd.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:28 AM   #8
jason_bet
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to jason_bet

How are your motor mounts? check your shift linkage also.. make sure nothing is getting in the way.. but like stealthee said.. don't drive in 5th unless you find it is a diferent problem or you fix it

Jason
jason_bet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:04 AM   #9
300GTkid
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_bet
How are your motor mounts? check your shift linkage also.. make sure nothing is getting in the way.. but like stealthee said.. don't drive in 5th unless you find it is a diferent problem or you fix it

Jason
how do i check the motor mounts and shift linkage
Old 09-30-2008, 09:38 PM   #10
Crackhedbob341
AF Regular

Check the under hood transmission - shifter bushings.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:14 PM   #11
HOTROB
AF Newbie

I am new on here to get some input as well on the 5th gear issue. I had a new transmission put in by Bob Baker, Kia Mitsubishi in Carlsbad, CA on January 7, 2008. The dealer knew I was flying out to pick the car up and drive it across the county to Delaware. That night as I started on my way and as soon as I got to Yuma, AZ my 5th gear started slipping out all on its own. I had no choice but to keep going as I was already scraping to make it with the funds that I had for fuel. I have put a total of 5,000 miles in 4th gear and sometimes holding 5th gear in. The dealer always avoided my calls and it's not like they would have gotten a place around here to fix it. Anyways, I have heard about the loose nut before, and also thought to mention that when I left the dealership it was like the whole shifter setup was offset more to the right/passenger side. The whole shift setup was centered before I got the new transmission. Could that have any reason that it's pulling out of 5th since it wants to go back to the center? And reverse sometimes grinds or I will have to slide it into 5th and then into reverse... Would appreciate any help anyone has to offer. - Rob
HOTROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:27 PM   #12
Hans_GZP
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTROB
I am new on here to get some input as well on the 5th gear issue. I had a new transmission put in by Bob Baker, Kia Mitsubishi in Carlsbad, CA on January 7, 2008. The dealer knew I was flying out to pick the car up and drive it across the county to Delaware. That night as I started on my way and as soon as I got to Yuma, AZ my 5th gear started slipping out all on its own. I had no choice but to keep going as I was already scraping to make it with the funds that I had for fuel. I have put a total of 5,000 miles in 4th gear and sometimes holding 5th gear in. The dealer always avoided my calls and it's not like they would have gotten a place around here to fix it. Anyways, I have heard about the loose nut before, and also thought to mention that when I left the dealership it was like the whole shifter setup was offset more to the right/passenger side. The whole shift setup was centered before I got the new transmission. Could that have any reason that it's pulling out of 5th since it wants to go back to the center? And reverse sometimes grinds or I will have to slide it into 5th and then into reverse... Would appreciate any help anyone has to offer. - Rob
You could have a bent shifter cable bracket on the trans or your shifter cables will need an adjustment. Either of those can cause the problems you are having. It could also be the nut, but I would get the shifter situation fixed first.

Driving in 4th gear can still cause the 5th gear to get worse. If you have this problem, get it fixed IMMEDIATELY or you will just cause more and more damage the more you drive it.
96 3000GT Spyder SL, black, stock, might sell
97 3000GT VR4: stock, for sale, red
92 Galant VR4: TBE, bunch of crap
95 Montero SR: run stuff over vehicle
Hans_GZP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 04:13 PM   #13
HOTROB
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans_GZP View Post
You could have a bent shifter cable bracket on the trans or your shifter cables will need an adjustment. Either of those can cause the problems you are having. It could also be the nut, but I would get the shifter situation fixed first.

Driving in 4th gear can still cause the 5th gear to get worse. If you have this problem, get it fixed IMMEDIATELY or you will just cause more and more damage the more you drive it.
Thanks for the advise on my post. The car has sat for a while since the same Bob Baker dealership also changed my timing belt which jumped teeth and made my engine make a weird knocking noise like it lept in the engine bay. I have that problem fixed as I found they put a set pin in the auto tensioner and never removed it!!! I can't believe that they would do something that stupid.

After solving that problem, I'm back to thinking about my transmission that they replaced. Thinking that it has to be just something wrong with how they put it in. This is my first time around on a transmisson and I am not sure what a shifter cable bracket is on the transmission. Also, could you tell me where this cap is that allows you to access the infamous nut? I'm not sure if it's a small cap, or removing the bell housing that is being referred to. Also, I have read some places that a BOV gets in the way of something causing issues as well. I don't even know for sure if BOV means blow off valve... I believe that's what it is. I saw little black rubber things on my bell housing area that look like they have blown black soot out of them from usage. There was one that was being pushed into by a cable boot when I would shift the car into 5th gear when it was sitting/not running. Not sure if that could have been the problem? Thanks in advance for anyone who can give me any pointers in this situation.
HOTROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:00 AM   #14
nicole7675
AF Newbie

I have a 99 mazda 626 & today while driving on the highway it came out of 5th gear. If I hold my had on the gear shift it'll stay but will come out again when I remove my hand. I know I cant drive like that. What possibly could be wrong?
nicole7675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:59 AM   #15
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

You'll probably have better luck posting this in the Mazda section. It may be a similar problem as to whats been posted here, or it might be completely different.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth