Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 12:39 AM   #31
RIP
AF -Advisor

Re: Plymouth Voyager transmission Problem Please Help!!

07 Fusion / 06 RAV4 / 06 Accord / 96 Gr Caravan
RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:20 PM   #32
iamsis
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethanyam View Post
I have a 1998 Plymouth voyager. 3.3L engine. with a 4 speed transmission.
I have NEVER had any trouble with the transmission.
Saturday - Kept going into "limp mode" about 1 mile from home
Immediatly changed fluid, gasket, screen, ect. (used atf not mercon or whatever it's call) Hubby drove about 5 miles No problems.
Sunday - I drove 15 miles and went into limp mode again. This time the speedometer was flopping all around. Would go to 100 then to 30 then to 0 and back to 100.
I took the van home and parked it.
Wednesday - We put in a new output speed sensor. the only difference is now the speedometer does NOT work at all.
Thursday - put in a new input speed sensor. NO change.
I'm going to carefully and slowly drive to parts store to have it scanned today. The local garage wants $60.00 just to scan it. I just don't have the funds to go there right now and I don't really have the money to keep playing a guessing game either. According to the readout I get today does anyone have any ideas on what could possibly cause this? There is no hesitation, jerking, ect when going into park, reverse, or drive it just does not change out of second gear when you speed up. Other than replacing or rebuilding the transmission the only other things I can think of that might cause this is the transmission control solenoid or the transmission control module. One more question. DOes the computer have to be reset after adding the sensors to "pick" them up? THANK YOU TO ANY AND ALL ANSWERS.
Bethany
I own a 1993 Plymouth Voyager LE. Same thing happened to me. My transmission would not change out of 2nd. gear. Thought the transmission was shot. Also, a $3500.00. I could not afford that. A friend took my van to a friend of hers. In 15 mins. he had it fixed. Hopefully yours will be the same!!! On the firewall at back of your motor, is some relays. You have a transmission relay, and a horn relay. They are the very same thing this transmission expert (that fixed mine told me). About 15.00 or so and it is fixed. Until you can get one, have someone or yourself pull out the tranmission, and horn relay and switch them. I still have not gotten a new one, mine still works fine the way he changed them around. My horn still works off the transmission relay that did not have enough power to work the transmission, but has enough left to work the horn. Don't let someone screw you over on this one. Switch those two relays, if like mine your transmission will change out no problems.......Hope this works for yours.I was so pleased with the information, and I am very angry that the transmission place even getting the codes off my van said it was the transmission that was bad. Mine has run fine since he switched the relays. He even told me to call the Plymouth place, and ask them the price on a transmission relay, then wait a day then call back and ask price on a horn relay. The transmission relay, 45.00, the horn was 10.00 best I recall. Very same part..........I really hope this info. will help your problem. I don't like seeing someone get ripped off. iamsis... You can contact me at my home email if you wish, I can take pic's of where they are located and email them to you to see if that is the problem 1st. before spending money you don't have. iamsis1954@bellsouth.net
iamsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:29 PM   #33
iamsis
AF Newbie

I own a 1993 Plymouth Voyager LE. Same thing happened to me. My transmission would not change out of 2nd. gear. Thought the transmission was shot. Also, a $3500.00. I could not afford that. A friend took my van to a friend of hers. In 15 mins. he had it fixed. Hopefully yours will be the same!!! On the firewall at back of your motor, is some relays. You have a transmission relay, and a horn relay. They are the very same thing this transmission expert (that fixed mine told me). About 15.00 or so and it is fixed. Until you can get one, have someone or yourself pull out the tranmission, and horn relay and switch them. I still have not gotten a new one, mine still works fine the way he changed them around. My horn still works off the transmission relay that did not have enough power to work the transmission, but has enough left to work the horn. Don't let someone screw you over on this one. Switch those two relays, if like mine your transmission will change out no problems.......Hope this works for yours.I was so pleased with the information, and I am very angry that the transmission place even getting the codes off my van said it was the transmission that was bad. Mine has run fine since he switched the relays. He even told me to call the Plymouth place, and ask them the price on a transmission relay, then wait a day then call back and ask price on a horn relay. The transmission relay, 45.00, the horn was 10.00 best I recall. Very same part..........I really hope this info. will help your problem. I don't like seeing someone get ripped off. iamsis... You can contact me at my home email if you wish, I can take pic's of where they are located and email them to you to see if that is the problem 1st. before spending money you don't have. iamsis1954@bellsouth.net
iamsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:29 PM   #34
allenprimo913
AF Newbie

hello,

i cant think of anymore remedy to fix my 1998 ply voyager about the transmission jerking when it shift to 3rd gear and then jerks when you slow down.

i just got done draining all the tranny fluid and replaced the filter one more time but still does it

BUT HERES WHAT I HAVE BEEN NOTICING LATELY.

everytime i park the car for a while like an hr or all night then use it when its cold ? it does NOT do it, i mean it does not DO not until i ran for few miles like maybe 5 miles or so then it will do the jerking when shifting to 3rd then slowing down.

i come to assume that maybe when the tranny fluid heats up, then it does it.

i need help on checking the connectors for the input and output sensors, i replaced then a week ago but i did not check them. what would i be looking if i stick my meter on those connector?

help.. we are planning to go out of town wednesday.

thnks
allenprimo913 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager