Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 11:32 AM   #16
phantomcobra
AF Newbie

Re: 03-04 Cobra vs 07 GT-500

I'm throwing in the best deal yet on this thread. My car was $3,400 new and runs under 5.5 seconds 0 to 60 and about 13 seconds 1/4 mile (not sure the speed). So my car beats the Cobra, Corvette and GT500 in best bang for the buck!!! Even today you can buy one for $15K. For $40K you can get one like mine completely restored, have a car going UP in value AND hang with the cars you are talking about!

(see the avatar)
04 Cavalier (auto, 4 door, 2.2L)
*seems like my engines keep getting smaller
phantomcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 12:08 PM   #17
C2Z06
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to C2Z06

What motor and gearing do you have on the Charger?
C2Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 11:47 AM   #18
Muscletang
AF Premium User

As a Mustang fan I'll say this...

I think the 2007 Shelby is the biggest disappointment EVER! A car with that much horsepower with a car God's name on it SHOULD NOT struggle to break into the 12's. Ford really messed up on this one and really fumbled the ball.

I mean what happens when the Camaro comes out and they start dropping LS7s (which they will) into it? That's a 500 horsepower Camaro and what if it's almost or is hitting 11s? What kind of message will that send about the new Mustang? The message now is it's a big overweight brick.

Mustang GT 300 hp-13.5 1/4 mile
Shelby Mustang 500 hp-12.9 1/4 mile

So 200 extra horsepower ONLY gets me 0.6 extra in the 1/4? Can anybody see what's wrong with this picture?

silly rabbit, tricks are for kids...

I mean, WHY COULDN'T THEY JUST GIVE HIM SOME CEREAL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars Ulrich
What?! Record sales are slumping? Must be from all those pirates. Can't be because we started sucking 10 years ago.
Muscletang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 01:00 PM   #19
BurntGauge
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to BurntGauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomcobra
My car was $3,400 new and runs under 5.5 seconds 0 to 60 and about 13 seconds 1/4 mile (not sure the speed). So my car beats the Cobra, Corvette and GT500 in best bang for the buck!!!
Yea but does it have the saftey, creature comforts, styling, sex appeal like the GT500 or Corvette does? Dont think so. Plus the gas mileage must be atrocious.

Anyways, I think we were talking about new cars anyways...hard to beat.

Gabriel

http://www.freewebs.com/burntgauge

BurntGauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 01:40 PM   #20
GForce957
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscletang
As a Mustang fan I'll say this...

I think the 2007 Shelby is the biggest disappointment EVER! A car with that much horsepower with a car God's name on it SHOULD NOT struggle to break into the 12's. Ford really messed up on this one and really fumbled the ball.

I mean what happens when the Camaro comes out and they start dropping LS7s (which they will) into it? That's a 500 horsepower Camaro and what if it's almost or is hitting 11s? What kind of message will that send about the new Mustang? The message now is it's a big overweight brick.

Mustang GT 300 hp-13.5 1/4 mile
Shelby Mustang 500 hp-12.9 1/4 mile

So 200 extra horsepower ONLY gets me 0.6 extra in the 1/4? Can anybody see what's wrong with this picture?

Ive seen a 12.6 but yeah, its pretty sad. Dropping the 5.4 s/c into it added about 300 lbs. When/if they put in the ls7 into the camaro, it wont be as bad, because its aluminum.
GForce957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 03:02 PM   #21
kman10587
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to kman10587

Quote:
Originally Posted by GForce957
Ive seen a 12.6 but yeah, its pretty sad. Dropping the 5.4 s/c into it added about 300 lbs. When/if they put in the ls7 into the camaro, it wont be as bad, because its aluminum.
That's the problem, and my biggest gripe with the GT500: it weighs about 4000 pounds. I don't know if it was the motor, or the chassis reinforcement, or what, but that's just unacceptable. Even if the motor does match the LS7's power output, it's still quite a bit heavier and using forced induction. I think Ford could have done better.

My '05 Impreza 2.5 RS.
kman10587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 04:14 PM   #22
Muscletang
AF Premium User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman10587
That's the problem, and my biggest gripe with the GT500: it weighs about 4000 pounds. I don't know if it was the motor, or the chassis reinforcement, or what, but that's just unacceptable. Even if the motor does match the LS7's power output, it's still quite a bit heavier and using forced induction. I think Ford could have done better.
Hell they have that 6.0 V10 that's based off the V10 Mustang concept that pumps out 600 horsepower. It's all aluminum so weight wouldn't be that bad.

Right now I think this would be the best bet for Ford. Take the 5.4 engine that was in the 2000 Cobra R and tweak it to around 400 N/A horsepower. Have it as an option or something after the GT in performance. Maybe it could be the new Cobras or Boss' or something. Anyway, a 100 hp jump with not too much weight added. Sounds good to me.

Quote:
What?! Record sales are slumping? Must be from all those pirates. Can't be because we started sucking 10 years ago.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:22 AM   #23
blakscorpion21
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntGauge
Yea but does it have the saftey, creature comforts, styling, sex appeal like the GT500 or Corvette does? Dont think so. Plus the gas mileage must be atrocious.

Anyways, I think we were talking about new cars anyways...hard to beat.

not to mention it would get killed on a track with curves.

the gt500 is slow for having 500hp. its fast but not 500hp fast. i agree with muscletangs post about the gt being only .6 seconds slower and being alot cheaper and less powered. theres an article i read about the roucshe stage 3 mustang that is about the same price, looks better, and holds pretty close in acceleration and according to the article handles much better than the shelby. all this with only 415hp.
Old 07-16-2006, 03:03 PM   #24
Muscletang
AF Premium User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakscorpion21
theres an article i read about the roucshe stage 3 mustang that is about the same price, looks better, and holds pretty close in acceleration and according to the article handles much better than the shelby. all this with only 415hp.
The 2005 Saleen S-281 E has 500 horsepower like the Shelby and has an official time of 12.1 but it's said they can easily hit 11s if you can drive it well. The newer '06 models with 550 are said maybe hit mid 11s. Sure, the thing cost as much as a Viper but Saleen is pricey for their stuff even if it is a nice performance buy. Still, why can they do it and Ford can't?

Quote:
Old 07-16-2006, 07:11 PM   #25
kman10587
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to kman10587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscletang
The 2005 Saleen S-281 E has 500 horsepower like the Shelby and has an official time of 12.1 but it's said they can easily hit 11s if you can drive it well. The newer '06 models with 550 are said maybe hit mid 11s. Sure, the thing cost as much as a Viper but Saleen is pricey for their stuff even if it is a nice performance buy. Still, why can they do it and Ford can't?
My guess is no incentive. People will pay more than MSRP for a GT500 just because of the name, regardless of whether it's a good car or not. Why put time and money into making it the best car it can be when people were lining up for it the second it was announced?

My '05 Impreza 2.5 RS.
kman10587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 04:06 AM   #26
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to k3smostwanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman10587
My guess is no incentive. People will pay more than MSRP for a GT500 just because of the name, regardless of whether it's a good car or not. Why put time and money into making it the best car it can be when people were lining up for it the second it was announced?
and this is what is so sad about car companies...i honestly feel that with some cars they half-ass them. no matter the maker or where they came from. i see a declining trend of mercedes benz quality and reliability but sales so not seem to be disturbed. its all about the name or that particular model. car manufacturers can get away with half-a**ing some of their cars.

this is what i like about the smaller companies...they are more than likely the underdog that has to prove itself better than the competitor. even when they do, they dont get the credit in sales usually. only exception i can think of is the 350Z doing so well in a mustang biased market.

its frustrating in general for true car enthusiasts to see cars not do well in sales when the manufacturer worked so hard for it to be the best and it is the best. but the average american would rather have the other brand because of an ego or standard thing.
ZedEx Crew Member #4
k3smostwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 08:23 AM   #27
BlackGT2000
AF Enthusiast

To be realistic the Shelby has alot more than just a big engine to differentiate it from a GT. Almost every part of the Shelby is different. The Saleen and the Roush, although nice cars, started as a GT than were tuned by an aftermarket company. The Shelby has alot more to offer and I am sure isn't beginning to hit its performance peak. I mean look how much the 03 Cobras could put out, this car has a better blower and more displacement.
BlackGT2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 08:33 AM   #28
BlackGT2000
AF Enthusiast

Also, calling the Shelby half assed would be an inaccurate statement to say the least. A mustang is a mustang. You can't make it a sports car. You can give it more power, acceleration, cornering, and braking...even give it a nice interior and exterior.....but its still not a real sports car. The new Shelby has everything you could want in a car...name something it dosn't have (within reason). To complain about the weight is really short sighted. Who would want a supercharged 3V in their shelby? Even if it did hit 500 HP it would be stretching its limits of performance. It won't be long after it hits the market that you see near factory Shelbys hitting HP numbers far exceeding the already ludicrous 500 HP factory output. The only way to save weight on that car would have been to add price. Who wants to pay more I am talking viper prices for a mustang? I think that Ford put out a solid performing car and that you couldn't have a much better mustang even though its heavy.
BlackGT2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 09:12 AM   #29
C2Z06
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to C2Z06

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Mustang's original intent was to never be a true sports car but a car that was both a daily driver and a very sporty like car. It was meant to be a cheaper end performance vehichle whose price was within reach of many teenagers and early 20's. It fit the bill very well for a long time. It also picked up another crowd, semi-professional women such as secrataries and nurses etc. It's what gave the Mustang the nickname "Secratary Car." It wasn't a brute beast like a 426 Hemi or 454 LS6, but it was fun, attractive and fairly affordable. It's also what has kept it alive when the A-Bodies and F-Bodies went the way of the Dodo.

I wouldn't want the Mustang to compete with the Corvette/360 Modena/911 Carrera/Viper etc. Instead it needs to reaffirm it's standing in the niche it has created for itself. It generated it's own class of car...The Pony Car. It should stay there. I would like the Mustang if they would do 3-things to it,
1) make the clutch on the manual more driver friendly, it's like the stupid things want to fight you...needs too much force to work and hinder's double-clutching and heal-toe
2) cut weight on the vehichle since that also hurts it's cornering abilities and why they're loosing some ground to the compact market
3) drop the prices on them

...otherwise, they're beatiful cars and they're black on silver convertables is one of the most beautiful cars on this planet
C2Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons