Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 08:04 AM   #16
abilyk
AF Newbie

I just replaced the AIC motor and cleaned the throttle body intake and all seems good so far. Running better than all last week and no stalling.
abilyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 08:17 PM   #17
Hailley
AF Newbie

Re: 98 caravan stalls at lights

Dear Abilyk-

Great to hear! My '93 is in the shop right now... this morning we replaced the cap and rotor, and before that we tried new plugs, a bottle of fuel de-icer, and a shade-tree fuel injector cleaning.

Where is the AIC motor, and, may I ask about how much it
cost you to replace it? Did you do the work yourself?

thanks!
-Hailley
Hailley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 11:57 PM   #18
abilyk
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 98 caravan stalls at lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hailley
Dear Abilyk-

Great to hear! My '93 is in the shop right now... this morning we replaced the cap and rotor, and before that we tried new plugs, a bottle of fuel de-icer, and a shade-tree fuel injector cleaning.

thanks!
-Hailley
Yes, I do everything myself. On mine the AIC is located on the throttle body (right hand side when facing the throttle body opposite side of thottle cable and linkage) pointing toward the air filter. Just unplug the electrical connector, loosen the 2 clamps that hold on the air tube from the air filter to the throttle body intake and take it off. Now just take out the 2 screws that hold on the AIC (T25 torx) and remove. I believe a new one is around $80 but not sure. I just happened to have another one I got from the wrecking yard during a free parts weekend this summer. Get some intake cleaner and spray the intake of the throttle body good while moving the butterfly with the throttle linkage to clean it. Put back together and start engine. May start a little rough at first which is expected. Shouldn't take any longer than 30min.
Hope this solves your problem. Good luck!!!

Al
Old 12-22-2005, 09:59 PM   #19
abilyk
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hailley
Dear Abilyk-

thanks!
-Hailley
Hailley did you get it fixed? Was it the AIC like mine? Please let us know.

Thanks
Old 12-26-2005, 09:17 AM   #20
Hailley
AF Newbie

Hi, Abilyk and everyone...

as of a few days before Christmas, my '93 Caravan is
up and running... turns out it was a little part beneath
the distributor cap and the issue was spark-side as
opposed to fuel-side.

Replacing cap, rotor, wires and plugs didn't do the trick,
so a mechanic with the same y/m van started sleuthing
and that's what he came up with. Will try to find out
the exact name of the part.

(=
Hope everyone had a teriffic holiday and/or a very
Mery Christmas!
Hailley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 06:24 PM   #21
plymouthsrock
AF Regular

Throttle housing should be cleaned- I use a rag and WD40 (less caustic and just as good as carb cleaner)- theoretically the IAC can compensate, but...
plymouthsrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 09:41 PM   #22
speedrik
AF Newbie

idle adjustment?

A very re current problem. Search this site and you will find this over and over, especially with the late 90's. I got a 97, just over 100k. Rus pretty well in the summer, gets cold and shuts off at every stop until it seems it gets very warm and over 35MPH. Have to hold down the gas slightly when trying to warm it up when cold. Done the brake/clutch/gas thing as well as popping into nuetral. I have read the same things over and over - the part changers at the dealers cant figure it out, tell you it is fine, then dies on the way home. Heard the O2 sensor, Air bag light on, check engine light on, water in the fuel, clogged injectors, cracked in fuel system somewhere (pressurized system), ignition, idler, - about everything except the tranny - which should be the primary issue with these things.

No answere, dont think anyone knows. But a question - is there anyway to adjust the idle in these??? You know, like the old days, just a slight twist of a screw??
speedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 10:52 AM   #23
Tammmy
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Tammmy Send a message via MSN to Tammmy
Angry Re: 98 caravan stalls at lights

ok - I am NOT a mechanic - I am NOT (by any means) knowledgable about cars... My fiance on th other hand... he can fix ANYTHING... EXCEPT my van. He is getting frustrated...

My van is a 2002 Caravan... started out stalling at lights... then started kicking a sputtering when I drove... He changed the fuel filter. I took my kids to Florida the week after Christmas... it drove fine the whole way there... until I got to about to Orlando (still had to go the rest of the way to Ft. Lauderdale). Once in Ft. Lauderdale... it wouldn't stay started long enough to pull into a parking spot at Wal-Mart... had to restart 5 times. My Fiance told me to put "fuel injector cleaner" in it, and then fill the gas tank. I did that, and the van ran great the whole time I was in Florida. Until I got back to Indiana... as soon as I crossed the state line... That was on Jan. 2...

He can NOT figure it out. I tried Fuel injector cleaner again... didn't do it this time... Now it is also "mis-firing". It is driving him crazy.
Tammmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 04:13 PM   #24
pentabob
AF Newbie

Hi Guy's
earlyrizr hit it right on the head, one of two things is the culprit for this stalling almost everytime, #1) the egr valve (either controller or valve sticking, dosnt really matter, they have to be changed as a set) or #2) the throttle body needs to be cleaned, obviously the t/b cleaning is quite a bit cheaper, so would be my first attempt.
I replaced the egr valve on my 98 GV 3.3 at aprox 125,000 (about a year ago), no problem since,
best of luck,
Bob White
pentabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 08:01 PM   #25
holdemjunkie
Banned

everybody its the cam sensor, been there done that ....lol, watch if ur doing it ur self, when ur pulling them out they tend to brake off
holdemjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 08:03 PM   #26
holdemjunkie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdemjunkie
everybody its the cam sensor, been there done that ....lol, watch if ur doing it ur self, when ur pulling them out they tend to brake off
Sorry ppl might of replyed to the wrong thread
holdemjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 02:30 PM   #27
Stevo2
AF Regular

Thumbs up Re: 98 caravan stalls at lights

First thing is to have the error codes read off the computer, this may give you some idication as to the problem AREA.
The IAC motor has been redesigned several times over the years for stalling problems. The throttle body should be removed from the engine and cleaned throroughly and a new gasket/s used to re-seal it. The EGR valve will cause stalling problems at idle if it opens when it shouldnt. The VSS-Vehicle Speed Sensor can also cause stalls when decelerating to a stop. The lockup torque convertor can also cause stalls which appear like when you don't depress the clutch on a manual tranny when coming to a stop.
Try running a can of Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner or SeaFoam through the vehicle to clean up the innards.

Could someone please fix my Instant Email Notification?

Please get back to us with your fix!

Why did you buy a $40K vehicle and not a $100 Factory Service Manual?
Stevo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 03:29 PM   #28
speedrik
AF Newbie

Service light is the O2 sensor on mine, been on for a couple years now. Airbag ight also on. In simple terms, it just seems to need an increase in the idle speed.
speedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 04:59 PM   #29
Stevo2
AF Regular

There is no way to increase idle speed like the old carb engines. The idle speed is controlled by allowing air to flow around the closed throttle plates. The IAC does this function along with the computer and several other sensors. Parts replacement, adjustment checks, and cleaning are the final cure. When you get more air flow, your idle speed will increase provided the other sensors like the O2 sensor are reading the air/fuel mixture correctly. A bad o2 sensor will decrease mileage up to 15% also.

Could someone please fix my Instant Email Notification?

Please get back to us with your fix!

Why did you buy a $40K vehicle and not a $100 Factory Service Manual?
Stevo2 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager