Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Porsche > 924/944/968
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 10:57 PM   #1
rvolk86
AF Newbie

Battery drained

I have an 84 944 NA

I leave it parked for more than a week and the battery is drained to the point where it wont start without being jumped...

I have no idea where to start.

any help?
rvolk86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 09:13 PM   #2
carsonmx114
AF Regular

Re: Battery drained

first look for obvious proplems like a glove box light or aftermarket stereo equipment, if you have a amp make sure it's wired to go off with the key. if you don't have a amp meter get a 12v test light, take the negative cable off of your battery, close your doors, turn off everything in the car and put the test light between the negative battery post and the negative cable (with the cable off the battery). if you have a voltage draw the test light will light up. start removing fuses one at a time, when you remove a fuse see if the light goes out if not reinstall the fuse and move on to the next one. unless you have a short in the alternator or something else that is not wired through the fuse box you should find a fuse that when removed causes the light to go out. now just figure out what is on that circuit that is drawing voltage. you should be able to rule out all the circuits that are switched through the key because when the key is off those circuits are open.
carsonmx114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 12:38 AM   #3
rvolk86
AF Newbie

Thumbs up

I appreciate the help.

I bought this car more to learn how to work on them than anything b/c i heard 944's arent too complicated and not hard to work on. So far so good, i'm learning something new every day.
rvolk86 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Porsche > 924/944/968