Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Mustang > Mustang Talk
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 10:35 AM   #16
duplox
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to duplox
Re: Suggestions for Complete Upgrade:V6

In the very very long run, the cobra motor will be better. He'll make close to as much power with a well built turbo'd or supercharged v6, and spend less money. Although, if he's making close to as much power, most likely he'd need a new tranny and rear end anyways... so the cost really comes down to... is a turbo/supercharger kit cheaper/more expensive than a cobra motor? I mean, if I trusted the guy to rebuild a motor, and I don't, I'd say go buy a cobra block and build a rediculous street monster. You can probably do that for 4-5 grand, and easily get 400hp out of a cobra block. And if you can afford a supercharger or turbo, 600... but I don't think he wants/needs/can handle that much. I think 350fly hp will be plenty.

Oh by the way, you asked why people say wheel hp, as opposed to what? The answer is flywheel or crank HP. This is tested by bolting the motor directly up to a special engine dyno and taking readings. These readings will be higher than at the wheels, since it takes HP to turn the trans, driveshaft, gears in the axle, axle shafts, wheels and tires... Normally losses will be around 40-60hp with an auto, and around 20hp with a manual.
duplox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 02:34 PM   #17
kaper232
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to kaper232
Yada Yada Yada

I can see zx2srdotnet likes to be a dip shit on the boards.. Next time, take note.. If I want you to post a smartass remark to me.. I will be sure to message you and let you know that I want one! Thanks!

Newho.. to the swap question. You would have your hands full doing the swap with a Cobra engine. Yes, maybe a supercharger or turbo might run cheaper, but I think you would be happier with the swap in the long run.

-Smiles- <^>
Old 06-21-2004, 02:01 AM   #18
Got Torque?
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Got Torque?
Re: Suggestions for Complete Upgrade:V6

think about it this way, if you switch to a cobra motor, youll have a sleeper v8 advantage and your insurance would still be at the v6 price,im not exactly sure how much power the v6s can handle though. i think if you got deep pockets go with the swap. but deep down its truly your own decicion.
Got Torque? is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Mustang > Mustang Talk