Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 02:44 PM   #1
Chef Voyardee
AF Newbie

Changing Loyalties? Chime in!

As I prepare to sell my 67 Mustang project car to acquire something more finished that I can have fun with, I am having an internal conflict I am struggling to rationalize. My first car was a '66 Mustang that got totaled not even a year after I acquired it. I did not have a classic car until 7 years later when I picked up a 1967 mustang coupe project car. I have been wrenching on it on and off for the better part of 10 years. It's been one thing after the next, the primary culprit being rust and funds. I may have driven it for a total of 200 miles in that entire time. Part of me held on I think because I wanted to prove to everyone that this project would be successful. But now that I have a family and plan on returning to school, a full on resto is just not feasible, or ideal.

So I decided to sell the 67 Mustang, and buy a more finished vehicle. Probably a convertible that I could cruise with the family and punch the gas when the urge strikes me. Rust and major body work are things I want to avoid like the plague as I have had enough of that. My conflict is that up until now, I always identified myself as a Ford/Mustang guy. Funny thing is that my dad hated Fords, being a GM guy all the way. I have fond memories sitting in his '65 Buick Special, '76 Pontiac Grand Prix and '79 Firebird. However, the idea of learning an all new set of data, and engines, body styles, lingos, books, magazines, posters, and what not is new territory. I know every model year of classic mustangs by styling cues. I know the differences between 351w and 351c. I know that Galaxie is not spelled with a y, that Ford parts are EVERYWHERE, that even non-car guys knows what a Mustang is, and the sound difference between a 351 and a 352, and that FE engines are HEAVY, but great sounding. I know C4, C6, 9-inch, Autolite, FoMoCo and cruise-o-matic mean. I know the names Scott Drake, Carroll Shelby, and Lee Iaccoca. I have more than enough Ford books and technical guides to shake a stick at.

But, as I look for that special vehicle, I am constantly wondering over to Buick and Pontiac. I have always loves the styling cues, and not everyone and their grandma (maybe a bad analogy) has a Buick. I love the Pontiacs Firebirds, GTOs, and Bonnevilles. I am not at the point where I can drag myself to Chevy yet, but my resistance is wearing down. As we speak, I am seriously contemplating the purchase of a 1969 Skylark Custom convertible. Hands down, this car makes my mouth water. I just wanted to hear from other car guys who have gone through this heartache of switching brands, or not!
Chef Voyardee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 05:59 PM   #2
Black Lotus
AF Regular

Re: Changing Loyalties? Chime in!

Functionally and mechanically, a 1979 Firebird isn't that much different than a 1965 Galaxie.
Just different shapes and part numbers.
Learning new things is a good thing.
You should cast your net a bit wider a try to be a bit more diverse.
Get a ride in a Lamborghini or some such and see what you are missing.
I think it would revise your expectations a little.
Black Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:47 PM   #3
Chef Voyardee
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: Changing Loyalties? Chime in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Lotus View Post
Functionally and mechanically, a 1979 Firebird isn't that much different than a 1965 Galaxie.
Just different shapes and part numbers.
Learning new things is a good thing.
You should cast your net a bit wider a try to be a bit more diverse.
Get a ride in a Lamborghini or some such and see what you are missing.
I think it would revise your expectations a little.
Touché my friend
Chef Voyardee is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
buick , chevy , ford , pontiac
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General