Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 01:04 PM   #1
divineaddiction
AF Newbie

2002 Pontiac GrandAM Died

I have had various issues with my car over the years but on my way home last night my car just died coming down the interstate. It didn't make any noise, it simply kicked off the cruise, the battery light and oil light came on, and I lost gas and power steering. The security light did not come on and my car's forgotten who I am often enough I know how to do the key relearn by heart. My service engine soon light stays on because I no longer have a catalytic converter. When I turn the key over I smell gas (which I can only assume means there's not an issue with my fuel system), everything turns (alternator, belts, etc.) but it doesn't fire. I had someone suggest that it could possibly be the EGR valve, but when I went to investigate, turns out there isn't one installed on my engine, where it should be there is a metal plate bolted to the "hole". In the past my ignition control module had to be replaced about every 11 months, so I had two and carried the spare in my car. This stopped happening when we finally replaced the entire coil pack. My car has always idled rough (I'm assuming I can attribute this to the lack of EGR valve). Over the past two weeks it just seemed to get a little worse, it was making noises when accelerating when the car was cold, almost like a whining and the engine was idling hard. When looking for the non-existent EGR valve I did discover my air filter was ridiculously dirty and the air intake is full of oil. The oil was low but not enough to make the engine seize. I know that's a lot of information but was trying to be as clear as possible about previous issues and what I have ruled out. I did read that it could possibly be the CPR, but didn't know if someone else had other thoughts. I appreciate any help I can get as this is my only vehicle to get my son to daycare and myself to work and I need it running again.

Last edited by divineaddiction; 09-04-2015 at 06:34 PM.
divineaddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 02:43 PM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: 2002 Pontiac GrandAM Died

3.4 or 2.2?
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 03:41 PM   #3
divineaddiction
AF Newbie

2.2, sorry probably should have added that to begin with.
divineaddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 06:29 PM   #4
xeroinfinity
out saving the world

if u got oil in the air filter its always a 4 cyl

Did you check for spark?
and just because you smell gas, doesnt always mean its going where it should be.

and since you said you replace the ICM every year, i'd say thats prob the problem again.
divineaddiction (09-04-2015)

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
2002 , pontiac
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM