Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Taurus | Taurus Wagon
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 10:34 PM   #1
Greeneyes_2006
AF Newbie

1997 Taurus wagon -alternator?

So, I have a 97 Taurus wagon that has around 221,000 miles on it. Recently it has been having odd electrical issues...for instance, when the car is off but has the key ignition on/radio on for more than 10 minutes, the car will not start, turn over and makes clicking noises and the dashboard goes crazy. I had the battery and alternator tested a few months ago at Autozone, which they told me everything was running fine and strong. Today on my way home from work, the car randomly died while driving. First, the RPM gauge went weird and fluctuated between 0-2RPM's (the gauge was just bouncing around), then all the electricity died and the wheel locked up but the engine was still running. I managed to pull into a restaurant parking lot and it died completely. I had my sister come help jump it, and it ran until I started to drive around, and it died again. We attempted to drive it back to her house, after jumping it 4 times and making it across the street to another parking lot. Could it be the alternator or another issue? I am not very good with cars, i'm only a 22 year old female....I also am on a very tight budget....please help as to what it could be before I have to have it towed, ect....

Last edited by shorod; 04-11-2010 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Removed duplicate sentence.
Greeneyes_2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:55 PM   #2
Airjer_
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1997 Taurus wagon -alternator?

With the engine running measure the voltage at the battery. Should see 13.8 to over 14 volts. If its any less it would be fair to say they alternator is a good possibility. After being discharged and left to sit the battery probably is not in as good shape as you may think it is.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:54 AM   #3
shorod
SHO No Mo

Has this electrical issue been happening for a couple of months (when you had Autozone check the charging system) or only since then? As Airjer mentioned, the battery could not be bad due to a failed alternator so just because it was good a few months ago does not mean either or both the alternator and battery are still good now.

Also make sure the battery cables are clean and tight both at the battery and at the distribution panel.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:16 AM   #4
Greeneyes_2006
AF Newbie

I don't have a way to bring it to Autozone......The car won't run for more than a minute or two at a time.
Greeneyes_2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:50 AM   #5
Airjer_
AF Enthusiast

You can bring the alternator in and get it bench tested or you can bring the battery in and have it tested as well. I would put my money on the alternator. You're going to have to make a trip to a parts start to get a new one, might as well bring the old one with and have it tested to confirm and avoid getting charged for the core.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:22 AM   #6
doggfather69
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to doggfather69 Send a message via Yahoo to doggfather69

Take the Battery to the local parts store. Auto zone, Advanced auto etc.. They will be able to test and charge the battery for you. If its a good battery I would bet its the Alt. If bat is bad simply buy a new one and swap it out. Good luck.
doggfather69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:41 PM   #7
shorod
SHO No Mo

My comment was with regards to the prior test you had performed at Autozone, but as others have mentioned, you can take just the alternator and battery in without the car and have them tested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggfather69 View Post
If bat is bad simply buy a new one and swap it out. Good luck.
Be careful here, a bad alternator could damage the battery, therefore if the battery is bad, that doesn't mean the alternator isn't also bad. You don't want to put a new battery in only to have a bad alternator destroy the new battery as well.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
1997 , alternator , ford , taurus , wagon
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Taurus | Taurus Wagon