Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 11:51 AM   #1
VMI07
AF Newbie

Question Weird Oil Leak

Hello all,

I am new to the Nissan section of the forum. I have a 2004 pathfinder LE. Hopefully there will be someone who can help with this issue. I noticed an oil leak on the garage floor where the car parks. The leak in not from the engine section but under the passenger door directly under the B pillar. Upon inspection there is a large electical network with many connections above a heat shield near the frame. Also, this is the area where the brake and fuel lines travel along the frame rail back to front. I see no transmission lines. I have inspected all lines. No smell of fuel. No sign of brake fluid. But noticed engine oil on the top of the heat shield. Upon further inspection the oil appears to be coming from one of the elctrical connections. Last connection towards the rear of the car. Is it possible the oil is traveling along the inside of the wire insulation and the connection is possibly connected to an oil sensor on the motor which is actually the source of the leak.

Any help would be appreciated..

Virginia Military Institute 07
VMI07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 12:11 AM   #2
nissandoc
AF Regular

Re: Weird Oil Leak

Your leak is coming from the turbine sensor in the top of the transmission. You are right about it traveling through the wiring harness. the problem is that the sensor is too long to pull out with the transmission still in the truck, it hits the floor, so the trans has to come out. I've tried just removing the crossmember and lowering it down but still doesn't give you enough room.
nissandoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:33 AM   #3
VMI07
AF Newbie

Bummer. Thanks for the info. The fluid did have a slight red cast to it but the tranny fluid level was ok. The oil level was low so assumed oi not tranny. The leak is minor. Only a few drops on the floor. do you know if it will get worse. Is it necessary to fix immediately.

Thank again Doc.
VMI07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 05:42 PM   #4
nissandoc
AF Regular

I cant imagine it getting any better. It wont hurt anything. As long as you can live with the leak, just keep an eye on the fluid level and keep on going.
nissandoc is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail