Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 09:37 AM   #16
ace91
AF Regular

Re: McLaren MP 4/6

Hi again,

It's been a while since I last posted. Didn't have much time making this kit due to other commitments.

Anyway, first and foremost, my gripe for this kit is the misfit of the parts. If you can see the completed photos below, you will notice the cowling couldn't be put up properly. Secondly, the tyre fittings are really questionable as I had difficulty attaching all the four tyres even though in this completed photos, you will notice that the tyres are not completely fitted in. Honestly, I was pretty aghast and my patience was tested that time.

When making this kit, my patience was really tested a lot & honestly, I did not expect a lot of misfits in this kit. Also, I hate to say this, but I will be kind of embarrassed if I were to show the photos of the interior as I have to compromise the details of the interior due to fitting issues when placing the engine & monocoque on the under panel parts.

Hopefully my upcoming project that is 1/20 Fujimi Williams FW14B will not test my patience as much compare to this.

stevenoble & John18d : I really like to thank you for the advice you gave me in cleaning up the pink dots on the cowling. It took me a while when I sanded off the coloured parts & repaint it again. Thanks again

Adrian
ace91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:31 PM   #17
John18d
AF Enthusiast

Adrian you did a great job of salvaging the paint work - and refinishing it
I think this is your best F-1 build to date
Your skills are coming along well
Is the rear wing attached properly?? it appears to be angled upwards a little
Still well done Adrian
John
John18d is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John18d For This Useful Post:
ace91 (10-17-2013)
Old 10-17-2013, 12:04 AM   #18
generationx
AF Enthusiast

Sounds like you had difficulties but its come out pretty good. And don't worry, the FW14 goes together quite well.
generationx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to generationx For This Useful Post:
ace91 (10-17-2013)
Old 10-17-2013, 02:25 AM   #19
hirofkd
AF Enthusiast

You deserve credit for finishing the difficult kit.
Next time, spend extra time on dry fit. It's a standard procedure during preparation of any kit from old to new. Today's CAD-designed kits have extremely small tolerance, and deformation of plastic at the time of removal from the mold is very difficult to predict.
Most of the manufacturers (except for Tamiya and Bandai) don't spend extra time on correcting the mold by hand (and experienced mold masters are getting fewer), so some of the perfectly designed parts (on the computer) can have a bad fitment issue.
Dry fit should help you identify poor-fitting parts before painting, so the overall build quality will be better.

hirofkd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hirofkd For This Useful Post:
ace91 (10-17-2013)
Old 10-17-2013, 09:24 AM   #20
ace91
AF Regular

Thanks guys

john18d : The rear wing part needed some work to be done & I wasn't sure of the positioning of creating extra spacing as the sheet wasn't clear enough. he he

hirokfd : I will take note. Thanks.

Adrian
ace91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:31 AM   #21
stevenoble
AF Enthusiast

Well, despite the problems it came out very nice indeed. Big pat on the back for even finishing what is not an easy kit. You made good the paintwork, it looks much better and above all else you've learnt new things and different techniques to take forward to your next build. Well done, look forward to following your FW14b now..
ace91 (10-20-2013)
Old 02-09-2017, 03:38 PM   #22
Balls77
AF Newbie

Great job on this, I gave up halfway through and spend countless hours on trying to make the cowling fit on properly.
Balls77 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports