Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 03:57 PM   #1
thatJDMgirl
AF Newbie

300zx? need insight...bad

Im 18 years old and im going of to tech school next year and I need a car to move with me. Im currently driving a ’00 acura tl and truthfully, im sick of driving a lux car (although I cant complain about the 3.2L vtec) I have to pay for the next car entirely by myself and im seriously considering getting a 1991 300zx.
I need some insight from anyone who knows their stuff.
thatJDMgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:58 PM   #2
Broke_as_****
AF Enthusiast

Re: 300zx? need insight...bad

Insight on what? Are you planning to do anything with this car besides get from place to place with it? Are you going to need it to move stuff or transfer people around? What kind kind of budget are you going to be dealing with? How much maintenance can you do on your own? What's the car theft like where you're going?

Warning: Objects in mirror aren't as fast as they thought they were.
Broke_as_**** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:18 AM   #3
thatJDMgirl
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broke_as_**** View Post
Insight on what? Are you planning to do anything with this car besides get from place to place with it? Are you going to need it to move stuff or transfer people around? What kind kind of budget are you going to be dealing with? How much maintenance can you do on your own? What's the car theft like where you're going?

Well, im probably going to tune it, do dyno tests. Its purely for me… we’re using my truck to transfer, and I have a pretty low budget (6k). and im studying Nissan, infiniti, Honda/acura and I have previous knowledge on tuning. And hopefully, low theft area.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:58 PM   #4
Broke_as_****
AF Enthusiast

$6000 might get into the very low end of Twin Turbo cars, nothing you'd really want to buy. It will get you a nice non-turbo Z. Not a lot to pull out of a NA power wise, you can do some basic stuff and pick up about 20-30hp fairly easy but returns on investment go down from there. A few suspension pieces can really make them shine though.

Are you trying to autocross? Do car shows? Just drive around in it?

Old 02-27-2009, 08:32 AM   #5
thatJDMgirl
AF Newbie

racing is pretty much my life...so i wanna go as fast as possible.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:26 PM   #6
Broke_as_****
AF Enthusiast

Define racing.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:48 PM   #7
Hodo
AF Enthusiast

probly street/drag racing. Thank god its not drifting.

Thats all I have to say.

And I hope she does her research on the early Z32s cause they have a few issues.. not quite as bad as the 90 but a few none the less.

Hodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 07:35 PM   #8
joejonesalso
AF Newbie

I've owned a couple of Z's and all I can say about them is they are high maintenence. If you really want one go NA because all the turbo Z's in your price range are probably going to need work. I bought a 92 turbo auto for what you are looking to spend and I had to replace 4 injectors, lots of seals and the whole EFI harness. That stuff wasn't cheap and they are a pain to work on because of the limited amount of room. Have you thought about maybe an Integra GS-r? I actually thought that was one of the most fun cars I have ever driven. And you can get one in great shape for that price and it'll last forever. Also get rid of that TL while you can. I just sold my 2000 last month after going through another brand new tranny that only had 24k on it.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:22 AM   #9
thatJDMgirl
AF Newbie

thanks. and why "thank god its not drifting"
drifting is more fun but not many people near me are good at it
Old 03-03-2009, 06:13 AM   #10
Broke_as_****
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatJDMgirl View Post
thanks. and why "thank god its not drifting"
drifting is more fun but not many people near me are good at it
Because the average person who comes in here wanting to drift doesn't know a turbo from a tire.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:16 AM   #11
thatJDMgirl
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broke_as_**** View Post
Because the average person who comes in here wanting to drift doesn't know a turbo from a tire.
well, thankfully i do.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:05 PM   #12
masood
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to masood Send a message via AIM to masood Send a message via MSN to masood Send a message via Yahoo to masood

you can find a nice 90-92 TT Z for $6000.
masood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:01 AM   #13
Hodo
AF Enthusiast

My problem with drifting is... people think because they have watched a few Initial D cartoons, and seen Tokyo Drift 5600 times they know more about drifting than anyone else..... I often enjoy watching kids wreck cars because they are all "tokyo-dorifto!" I often feel sorry that many of them do it in cars that I like and are becoming harder to find in decent non-rice-drifted out shape.

Drifting will teach you car control, when done in a PROPER environment. Trying to reinact the touge scenes in Initial D, or any movie is just stupid. To me, a oldschool street racer.... you know straight line 1/4 to 1/8th mile drag not from stop light to stop light without other traffic on the road heads up from the dig with a flag man, its just stupid. And I am sorry that you live in OMG hell Wisconsin and cant get a decent racetrack or sports car.... perhaps you should wait till AFTER school... I am assuming Wyotech, or UTI. If its either of those two you will find a decent job after school... this will give you enough money and stability in finding a good car.

The Z is not a toy car... it will kill you, it will drive you broke, and it will drive you nuts. IF you are not ready for it.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:52 AM   #14
thatJDMgirl
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodo View Post
My problem with drifting is... people think because they have watched a few Initial D cartoons, and seen Tokyo Drift 5600 times they know more about drifting than anyone else..... I often enjoy watching kids wreck cars because they are all "tokyo-dorifto!" I often feel sorry that many of them do it in cars that I like and are becoming harder to find in decent non-rice-drifted out shape.

Drifting will teach you car control, when done in a PROPER environment. Trying to reinact the touge scenes in Initial D, or any movie is just stupid. To me, a oldschool street racer.... you know straight line 1/4 to 1/8th mile drag not from stop light to stop light without other traffic on the road heads up from the dig with a flag man, its just stupid. And I am sorry that you live in OMG hell Wisconsin and cant get a decent racetrack or sports car.... perhaps you should wait till AFTER school... I am assuming Wyotech, or UTI. If its either of those two you will find a decent job after school... this will give you enough money and stability in finding a good car.

The Z is not a toy car... it will kill you, it will drive you broke, and it will drive you nuts. IF you are not ready for it.
Well, for the record, I can drift just fine, thank you. I don’t know what the hell you mean by “old school” street racer, but racing is racing. I can drive a quarter mile just as well as many of the boys. I know how stupid racing on a street is, I lost 5 of my good friends to it within the past 2 years, which is exactly why I want a car that can haul ass ON THE TRACK. Oh, and another thing, I don’t know what you meant by “OMG hell Wisconsin”, but if it was meant to be rude because I’m a chick, that’s just straight up wrong. It doesn’t matter though because I already got a new car. 350 Enthusiast….Happy High School Graduation to me.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:03 PM   #15
Hodo
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatJDMgirl View Post
Well, for the record, I can drift just fine, thank you. I don’t know what the hell you mean by “old school” street racer, but racing is racing. I can drive a quarter mile just as well as many of the boys. I know how stupid racing on a street is, I lost 5 of my good friends to it within the past 2 years, which is exactly why I want a car that can haul ass ON THE TRACK. Oh, and another thing, I don’t know what you meant by “OMG hell Wisconsin”, but if it was meant to be rude because I’m a chick, that’s just straight up wrong. It doesn’t matter though because I already got a new car. 350 Enthusiast….Happy High School Graduation to me.

First I will say, I dont care if your a girl, a guy, or a hermaphadyte. I will treat you the same. If you cant take it, oh well! Better thicken up or else this world is going to make you cry alot. And my Wisconsin comment is exactly what it is. Wisconsin is not known for anything racing, drag, drift, NASCAR, Indy, F1, Rally, Baha, or even autocross. And old school racers used to meet up at a location, sit and park pick races, then go to a spot, WELL away from traffic, other people and anything that could destroy the run. These kids today, race from light to light, or on public roads with other traffic on the road, without regaurd for others safety. So girl, you dont want to test me I have driven more miles in more countries then you have dropped eggs. I started racing on the street, back in 1994, before Gay and the Curious, or its sequal 2Gay 2Curious, or the better than the second Gay and the Bi-Curious:Tokyo Dorito. Back before Initial D was even a thought in a Americas eyes. BMI was something nobody has heard about, Street Racing was ruled by Honda Civics, Integras, and other dirt cheap cars. Before body kits and shopping cart wings took over... back when the Z, Supra, RX7 were all rich old men rides. Probly back when you thought your Barbie was the coolest thing in the world and dady was your favorite man.

And in 15 years of racing, I havent lost a friend on the street to racing. Had a few lose their license, one went to jail, another just lost his car. I have seen stupid kids take out parked cars, and people who stand on the sides of the run. I have been lucky in that sense, but I have also had to put 2 friends in the ground due to war, 1 soldier under my command, and tell a mom that her son died defending his country. I performed a year on funeral detail in the Army putting vets into the ground, folding flags, gun salutes, and listening to taps. So what have you done?

Now I am not going to talk you out of making your car to go faster on the track or even off. I am willing to helpout with information. I have worked on Nissans for a while, Volvos for longer, and Fords for a bit. I have a few ASEs, I dont use anymore, because I got tired of the automotive technician field.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
advice
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)