Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > 6
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 10:49 PM   #1
kldees
AF Newbie

Heater only runs when engine off idle ?

Our 2004 Six has a problem with the blower not blowing hot air until the engine is revving, or the car is going down the road. This is annoying now, because the car is always cold in the morning, and gets cold if I'm stuck in traffic. If it's snowing, I sometimes have to pull off and rev the engine to get the car warm and windshield cleared again.

Also, it seems that the inside air recirculation doesn't work as it should. May not be recirculating at all, only outside air coming in.

Please help if you have any ideas. Thanks.
kldees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:54 PM   #2
scott17818
AF Newbie

Re: Heater only runs when engine off idle ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kldees View Post
Our 2004 Six has a problem with the blower not blowing hot air until the engine is revving, or the car is going down the road. This is annoying now, because the car is always cold in the morning, and gets cold if I'm stuck in traffic. If it's snowing, I sometimes have to pull off and rev the engine to get the car warm and windshield cleared again.

Also, it seems that the inside air recirculation doesn't work as it should. May not be recirculating at all, only outside air coming in.

Please help if you have any ideas. Thanks.
sounds like you have a dead alternator.. I'd let the car run, and put a voltmeter on the rear power terminal on the alt... it should be putting out around 2.4v at idle, and when you rev up the engine (have a friend slowly raise the revs in neutral/park) the voltage should climb in association with the revs to around 14.4-14.9volts. if it does'nt then you have a bad alternaotr.. the other option is your battery has dead cells.. hook up the meter to the battery with the engine off.. it should present 12.6volts or so. if not.. then your battery is toast.. or needs a charge.. if you can get the car to a mechanic, and they can run a load test on the battery. if it fails it means you need a new battery.. the blower issues may just be a symptom.. the blower may need a cleaning as well.. the battery, and alternator are cheaper to do than pulling the blower motor.. but test them... don't waste money replacing working parts.. I also know the Autozone will test and alternaotr out of the vehicle, and load test/re-condition charge a battery is it works it'll save you some money...
scott17818 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > 6