Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Land Rover > Range Rover | Range Rover Sport | Evoque
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 05:08 PM   #1
dimitricd
AF Newbie

Air suspension problems

I purchased my 2001 Range Rover 4.6 SE in April 2005 with approcimately 45000 miles. I experiensed the first problem with the air suspension system a few months later, at about 51000 miles. It was repaired for about $450.00.
Since that time, I have had repeated problems with the air suspension.
During the warm, summer months, the system would colapse during the night. However, after I drove it about a mile or 2, it would come up. Now, during the cold days, it usually takes about 5 to 6 miles before it comes up.
Last week, (with 64400 iles) traveling on the interstate, the system failed completely (I heard a beap, and the 4 lights started blinking, and within seconds, the vehicle had come down, to the point that I had to have it towed to a service station).
I took it last week to the dealer to diagnose what was wrong with the system and how much it would cost to have it fixed. They quoted me a cost of $4,200.00 to have it repaired, or replace it with springs for a cost of $1,860.00. I got very upset and I called Land Rover North America and tolf them about my problem. They told me that since I had not ewpaired it before at a Land Rover dealer, there was nothing they could do, and what each dealer charges for repaires it is their own decision.
I have decided to go with the Coil Spring Conversion Kit that I can get for under $500.00 and have it installed for between $400-$450.
I wish, enough people would complain to Land Rover North America that they will do something about it. Thanks for the opportunity to give my thoughts on the Range Rover failures. Otherwise it is a GREAT automobile.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:39 AM   #2
illanrob
AF Newbie

Re: Air suspension problems

You have done well to repair the suspension for $1000 versus repairing an air suspension system that has poor reliability. For sure a hydraulic suspension would be more reliable. I am looking to buy a 2001 Range Rover with the spring suspension upgrade.

Terp in Alabama
illanrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:21 PM   #3
golfermcr
AF Newbie

Hi Dimitri - I went through the same crap a year ago on my 2000 RR 4.0. Same costs, around a grand. Best thing I've ever done and no more headaches. Can go anywhere with no worries. Did you learn how to disengage all the idiot lights and warnings too? Let me know, so you have total peace (and quiet) of mind. Golfermcr
golfermcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 05:09 PM   #4
KiwiBacon
AF Enthusiast

If the system sags overnight, then it has a leak which needs to be found and fixed. Driving it when the suspension is leaking is as safe as driving with a leaking tyre. It's also making the compressor work harder which may cause it to fail.

Airbags are made of rubber, just like your tyres they do perish and need replaced eventually.
KiwiBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:15 PM   #5
NOLArover
AF Newbie

FINALLY!!! i see more and more people posting on these car sites about the problems with their land rover! i think it is a ridiculous that the company has been aware about! they tried to change this problem from the DISCO 2 to the LR3 HOWEVER they still have issues with them as well. my DISCO is FLAWLESS and i am very proud to say that. the air bags are the only thing on the car that drives me crazy. from time to time, whenever i have something important to do it seems actually, my bags will depress leaving me with the end of my car sagging to where my mud flaps are just off the road. i dont know what to do. they offer coil over kits which i do not know of any doing this or how well they perfrom or for the same price (LR dealer quote) i can have new bags put on. I need to have this fixed very soon because i feel unsafe in my car traveling over a long distance.

coil conversion kit or new bags? what should i do
NOLArover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:03 AM   #6
mike_hussey
AF Newbie

hi
i have a land rover . In that i always have problems with my engine and suspension so i would like to know what could be the problem .
mike_hussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:50 AM   #7
Chris V
The Big Meaney

I recently replaced the air ride suspension in my 2001 Range Rover 4.6 HSE with all new air bags, lines and, most importantly, the M.A.R.S kit (Manual Air Ride System). The air bags were $100 each brand new and were replaced in my driveway with no special tools. The MARS kit is a bolt in that allows you to manually put air into each corner or all 4 just in case of the issues you saw.

What happend to the OP was that he developed a leak, as is typical with older air bags, and ignored it, making the air compressor work harder and harder.

But here's the deal, none of the parts are that expensive. The air bags are $100 each, new. the air line is only $30 for enough to do the whoel truck. The compressor is only a few hundred, and even the valve body can be replaced for a few hundred (or rebuilt for $50, which is what I did).

Here are pictures of my original airbags and one from the rebuild of the o-rings in my air distribution block:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg airbag1.jpg (94.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg airbag2.jpg (97.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg airdistblock.jpg (122.6 KB, 4 views)

2013 MINI JCW Roadster
2023 Chevy Bolt
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:36 PM   #8
HB_RageRover
AF Newbie

hi Chris- What were the signs that you needed the new air bags? My 02 RR 4.6 HSE was sagging on the left front side when left overnight. My solution was to raise it up to highest position every evening and it would be fine. But after 6 months, I just saw it doing the sagging again overnight. I'm guessing I need a new air bag in that corner? Where did you get the parts from? Those numbers seem awfully cheap, but then I always have to assume I get high quotes cuz I'm a female! >:/
I'd like to try to do this myself...
Thanks!
Patricia
HB_RageRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:16 PM   #9
Chris V
The Big Meaney

I got the parts from http://www.arnottindustries.com/

the basic stock replacement bags are $91 each for the front ones:

http://www.arnottindustries.com/part...22_gid327.html

Mine was lowering overnight, but occasioanlly right after shutting it off, the left front corner would drop. So I looked at the bag condition and I saw whet was pictured there, all the age cracking at the folded ends.

To replace them, you let the air out of the suspension, jack up the corenr of the vehicle, and remove teh inner fender liner. There is a locating bolt holding the bottom and a removable pull pin. Pull the entire deflated bag assembly out after removing the air line from the top. Pull the old bag off of the top and bottom plastic mounts (may be hard, you could even cut them off). Then lube up the plastic mounts and push the new bag onto them (making sure the top air line exit lines up with the bottom in the same way they came off. A good idea is to mark the top and bottom mounts before removing the bag itself).

It's a bit harder to get the new bags back in as they are not folded over yet. You have to fold them and force them up in the vehicle, get the bottom bolted and pinned back in, then attach the air line. Add air to the system a bit, then let the jack down slowly. if all goes well, the bag will start to fold over itself on the bottom mount like it should. This is MUCH easier to do if you've also bought and installed the MARS kit.

2013 MINI JCW Roadster
2023 Chevy Bolt
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Land Rover > Range Rover | Range Rover Sport | Evoque