Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > Fabrication Tools
Fabrication Tools Discuss and learn about all types of tools used in fabrication, from angle grinders to english wheels.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 07:24 PM   #1
artistic
AF Regular

Bench and Angle grinders.

At princess auto there is a regular $69.99 angle grinder for sale for 34.99. It's 5inch,5.8amps,11,000 RPM,and adjustable for right or left hand. I don't really know what to look for in a grinder but is this any good?

There is also a bench grinder for sale. It says its 1/2HP,5amp,3,450RPM with 6 inch by1 inch grinding wheels. It's regular 79.99 and onsale for 59.99 Is this any good? In the regular catalogue it isnt there but there is a bench grinder that looks exactly like it with the same price, and model number but the the one in the regular catalogue says its 3/4HP and 4.8amps/2.8amps. My question is if its the one in the REGULAR catalogue a good bench grinder for 59.99(regular 79.99) and if the one on sale isnt a misprint in the SALE catalogue and actually is 1/2 ect. , is it still worth it? I know this was long but thanks for any replys .
artistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 07:57 PM   #2
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to mike@af Send a message via AIM to mike@af Send a message via Yahoo to mike@af
Re: Bench and Angle grinders.

I say get a 6" bench grinder. Most of the wheels out there are 6" and if you need parts, 6" is most available. Most of them look the same on the outside, and sometimes are the same on the inside. If its got ball bearings its worth the extra cash. Otherwise there are some others for about $45-$50 at Lowes that are pretty nice.

Angle grinders are always handy. Mines a 4.5" and I love it. Once again, ball bearings are a plus if its got them.

mike.lawrence@automotiveforums.com | AutomotiveForums.com | Flickr Gallery
mike@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:47 PM   #3
salesmantony
AF Newbie

Smile Re: Bench and Angle grinders.

This depends mostly on how you intend to use them. If you are just doing occasional work in a home garage, then what you've mentioned would be fine. But if you are going to give it a workout, then upgrade to better quality.

4 1/2 inches for the angle grinder is a very common and useful size. You can use the 4 1/2 inch wheels on the 5 inch grinder you mentioned. 5 inch wheels are not as common although certainly available.

6" bench grinder is the way to go.

By the way, I sell welding and metal working supplies for a living. I'm very familiar with the topic.
salesmantony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:09 PM   #4
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: Bench and Angle grinders.

I would agree with both the above comments, and add.... Princess Auto's sales flyers are a bit funky, and don't always accurately show the items on sale. So take a good look at the specs of the actual items in the store before you buy.

FWIW Princess Auto actually carries good stuff even if the retail experience is a bit primitive. I would have no hesitation in buying their products, but again, take a good look before you buy.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > Fabrication Tools