Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Civic | CRX > '01-'05 Civic
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 07:43 AM   #1
Shrewz92
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Shrewz92
'01 LX 1.7L > Cam Plug Replacement

I replaced my cam plug, yesterday, and removed the 'Resonator' / airbox to give myself some space. I put a small bead of Black RTF along the lip, and pressed it into place. When I reassembled the resonator back into place, I decided to degrease what I could see using an engine cleaner. After spraying off the accumulated sludge, I started the engine, and smelled what may have been fuel fumes. I sniffed around and found it was strongest by the cam plug area, where the heaviest dried oil sludge was, and where the cam plug is, on that block. Does heated Black RTF emit a smell similar to fuel fumes? I got a small whiff, this morning on way to work, through the vents, but it wasn't strong. I've never worked with this stuff, before, and what it smells like in the tube wasn't like what I smelled in the bay. I looked for fuel spray, and sniffed it while it was idling after spraying off the degreaser, but could see no fuel, but smelled the fumes around the cam plug area of the engine. Thoughts?
Old 02-13-2017, 11:49 AM   #2
Shrewz92
AF Regular

Re: '01 LX 1.7L > Cam Plug Replacement

I checked the plug, after driving to work. Still have a leak around the bottom of the plug. Any suggestions on stopping that, still?

Have a ring of black RTF around the inner-lip of the plug, and mashed that plug in as far as I could using my fingers, all around the edges. Do I need to rubber-mallet it? I hope not.

Maybe my bead of RTF was too thick?
Old 02-14-2017, 04:00 PM   #3
Shrewz92
AF Regular

responding to my own post, but it's an update.
Found that the o-ring on the plug had ripped a .25 incl gap in it, at the bottom. I have no idea how that happened. Went to AutoZone and they had a pack of o-rings, but none would fit. I just gooped up the plug with RTF and let it sit all day, today. I'm letting my daughter drive it a short distance, tonight, to see how that will hold. Advance Auto Zone is holding a Beck-Arnley replacement for me. Repairing, again, tonight....
Old 02-15-2017, 01:13 PM   #4
Shrewz92
AF Regular

Smile Re: '01 LX 1.7L > Cam Plug Replacement

(Like Billy Idol sang, " I'ma dancin' with my se-elf...") I looked at the plug and gasket maker-only seal, when daughter returned from her evening at dinner with friends. She said the oil light didn't come on, and when I checked the plug and its Black RTF-only seal, there was no oil leakage around the plug. I have the Beck-Arnley replacement in possession, and will hold off on full replacement until I get hint of a failure...or I may replace it when it warms up around here.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:47 PM   #5
JimmyCreedog
AF Newbie

I used black Hondabond when i did mine. I smeared it all over the inside lip of the plug and then let it sit on the work bench for half an hour to tack up a little. I did smack mine in with a little rubber mallet and then left it to set up overnight before I started the engine.
Oh, and I used a turkey baster to suck some of the oil out of the head. before inserting the new plug.
And yes, engine degreaser and brakekleen will smell a bit as the heat up and burn off. Be patient and give it a few days.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Civic | CRX > '01-'05 Civic