Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Primera | G20 > Cosmetics
Cosmetics interior, exterior, wheels.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 01:41 PM   #31
mercedessean
AF Newbie

Lightbulb maaco paint jobs

I was reading the reviews on maaco paintjobs and think people seem very one sided on their opinions. Chances are if the car has paint that is dulling, some minor blemishes here and there and a little rust starting but the person is wanting to make the car less of an eye sore, maaco is a decent value, no it is not show quality and yes you do get what you pay for, but its stupid to spend 6k on a paint job on a car you couldnt sell for 6k once it is done, i have trusted them painting a 1996 mustang cobra i rebuilt that was wrecked when i bought it and made $2000 profit doing nothing myself, so it must not have looked that bad to the buyer, i have did an 88 iroc and i am about ready to send a 1979 porsche 928 to them, if the car is going to be driven daily and the value of the car is under $7000 it is worth considering a maaco paint job especially if you are not planning on keeping the car for over 3 or 4 years, no they do not do the same as a 6k paint job, but they can make an eye sore look average or better on 10 year old cars, the only real major problem i have had with them is flaking of the paint, they will swear that you need not prep the car yourself and if you do they will void the warranty, personally on a car for myself such as the porsche i will take my chances and prep the car myself, including the body work, their body work is not bad if they have a decent body man which where i live they do, but they do not sand off the shine on the paint, this can be easily done over a weekend using 400 grit sandpaper wetsanding the car, it is messy but will help prevent flaking of paint, every car i had sent to maaco without doing this flaked within a year or two, they say they cover that under their warrenty but the reality is they offer to paint only the panel that is flaking with no guarentees as to the color match, which is a big issue, in short if you know anyone who knows anything about body prep at all you can wetsand a car in one weekend usually and it will tremendously reduce the likelyhood of flaking paint, dont be fooled by them talking about their miracle chemical bonding product they use because it dont work 100% it helps but isnt perfect, i also has a s10 that i had them paint, the first person that looked at it bought it from me and i lost no money on it either, it all depends on what you want, if you want a show quality paint job maaco is not the thing for you, if you want a car that you will get compliments on provided the body has been prepped right etc, you can obtain that through a maaco paint job, no i would not have them paint on a 2005 benz but i would on a 1990 benz. one other thing i would like to mention is dont go with the cheapest paint special they have, that paint will oxidize and dull out way quicker then the super pack, the flaking i was refering to is a couple small spots, not like tons and maybe a few spots about the size of a quarter or dime, not a big issue on an old car but if you are changing colors it will stick out real bad, hopefully this information is of some help to you, as for everyone with their own opinions they are exactly that, so go spend 6000 on a show quality paint job and end up with a car with nice paint that the dealer wont give you a trade in allowance of 3k great investment, if you have a special interest car or show car, then great and the 6k paint job is money well spent, but if you have a 10 year old driver with over 100k unless its a rolls or a testarossa then its probably a bad investment unless thats what you want to do and keep the car for a very long time
mercedessean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:10 AM   #32
Somf/714
AF Newbie

Re: Maaco Paint Jobs Any Good?

I have to tell mimi3737 that I know exactly what she is talking about regarding her MAACO experience in Hawaii. I would not recommend a MAACO paint job to anyone. My kid painted his little red wagon with a can of spray paint and it is a more professional job than MAACO did on my car. When I took the car back to them to complain about it the owner's son immediately became beligerent and told me he didn't owe me anything! My next step is to find the contact information to MAACO corporate headquarters and let them know how one of their franchises is conducting business. They have a lot of nerve calling themselves a body and paint shop!
Somf/714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 04:28 PM   #33
Camman68
AF Newbie

I'm surprised by your comments. I checked various Ohau body shops for an estimate on my 68 Camaro and here is my initial assessment about MAACO in Aiea.

- They were the only ones willing to take the time to show me some of their completed work from low to high end paint jobs. I was also allowed to check a Ford SUV that just rolled out of the paint booth. My opinion: Excellent/very fine work.

- The owner's son, Colin, completely assessed my body work/paint and gave me an excellent appriasal. He also stated I was welcome to visit the shop while they worked on my car--I found this unusual, but I was very pleased...credibility and confidence in their work. That's what it's all about!

- My Camaro is in their body shop and I dropped by unannounced today...Colin came out, greeted me, and walked me to the body shop. He explained every detail and provided me an updated completion date.

- My opinion is this is an outstanding operation with great customer support.

- You'll see my car on the road soon...it'll be the only Sun Bright Yellow 68 Camaro on Oahu...Body & Paint by MAACO of Hawaii!

Don
Camman68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:01 AM   #34
armoredgemini
AF Newbie

I have heard if you do all the prep and body work yourself and supply the paint, Maaco is a good deal, since you are pretty much just employing their spray booth. Has anyone done this?
armoredgemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:20 AM   #35
rlcrlcrc@yahoo.com
AF Newbie

i have a 2001 buick century custom, and i am thinking of having maaco of st albans wv do the work, i am getting the 300.00 deal, i have taken real good care of the car, keeping it waxed 4 or 5 times a year, and it don"t look that bad, just some swerl marks, i am getting the300.00 deal, doe"s anyone know if they do good work in st albans wv, thanks ray.
rlcrlcrc@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 05:51 PM   #36
rlcrlcrc@yahoo.com
AF Newbie

i was wondering what the 249.00 paint job includes, sanding,primer and so forth, thanks ray
rlcrlcrc@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:49 AM   #37
raziejonjon
AF Newbie

I just spoke with a local MAACO in the Atlanta, GA area. The $249 deal is half of the Presidential package. It is a single stage paint which means the base coat, paint, and clear coat are all mixed. It isn't the best option but if you want a new and better look its fine. The guy also told me they have started adding an additional spray of the clear coat to the end product which gives it that extra shine. I plan on taking my 1991 Mustang up there this weekend and getting it painted.
Also, the idea to prep before you take it up there is a great idea. A friend of mine is a custom painter and he is doing ALL the prep before we trailer the car up there. I will let you know how it turns out!
raziejonjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:07 PM   #38
Nalulani
AF Newbie

Aloha, I just had my 1988 Firebird painted at Maaco and it was the worst paint job that I have ever seen. It has drips, cracks and scratches all over the car. There is also paint on the steering wheel, on the inside drivers door, on the tires, on the windows, on the bumpers and inside the wheel wells. The gentlemen that I spoke with was very nice until I complained about the inferior work that was done on my car. Then they became very rude. When I asked to speak with the owners son Colin Reilly, he has always been to busy to speak with me and never returns my calls.
I wanted to have this car done as a surprise for my husband but I am now to embarrassed to give it to him. I am presently looking for another place to paint the car!!! The paint job cost me $1500.00. I was told by Sean at Maaco that I got what I paid for!!! There is one spot that is lifting up and he told me that if I don't pick at it, it should be alright!!!! What a joke!!!
Don't go to MAACO!!!!! They are rude and a rip off!! Now it is going to cost me over $3000.00 to fix the car. Boy have I learned a lesson!
Nalulani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:31 PM   #39
david861
AF Newbie

Exclamation Re: Maaco Paint Jobs Any Good?

is maaco in torrance ca any good? Considering painting my black 2005 f150 the same color just has a few chips and scratches here and there. thnx
david861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:43 AM   #40
maaconokaoi
AF Newbie

Yes. Maaco Paint Jobs are killer. They did my body work and painted my FJ Cruiser red. They did a phenomenal job! I highly recommend the Pearl City shop. No Ka Oi!!!
maaconokaoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:49 AM   #41
maaconokaoi
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camman68 View Post
I'm surprised by your comments. I checked various Ohau body shops for an estimate on my 68 Camaro and here is my initial assessment about MAACO in Aiea.

- They were the only ones willing to take the time to show me some of their completed work from low to high end paint jobs. I was also allowed to check a Ford SUV that just rolled out of the paint booth. My opinion: Excellent/very fine work.

- The owner's son, Colin, completely assessed my body work/paint and gave me an excellent appriasal. He also stated I was welcome to visit the shop while they worked on my car--I found this unusual, but I was very pleased...credibility and confidence in their work. That's what it's all about!

- My Camaro is in their body shop and I dropped by unannounced today...Colin came out, greeted me, and walked me to the body shop. He explained every detail and provided me an updated completion date.

- My opinion is this is an outstanding operation with great customer support.

- You'll see my car on the road soon...it'll be the only Sun Bright Yellow 68 Camaro on Oahu...Body & Paint by MAACO of Hawaii!

Don
I totally agree. Maaco Hawaii in Pearl City rocks! They showed me everything from how they do the body work to the paint job. They do outstanding work!!!
Old 01-27-2012, 06:52 AM   #42
maaconokaoi
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by armoredgemini View Post
I have heard if you do all the prep and body work yourself and supply the paint, Maaco is a good deal, since you are pretty much just employing their spray booth. Has anyone done this?
They did everything for me and in return my red FJ Cruiser looks better than when I first bought it in 2007. Mahalo Pearl City Maaco.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #43
GregRutlidge
AF Newbie

I had a car painted at Maaco. The paint job was great. But they paint EVERYTHING!!!! You are better off taping the car yourself, or your chrome will be painted along with the rest of the car. And if you can do body work, do that yourself. The more prep you do yourself, the better it will be.
GregRutlidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:39 PM   #44
serendipity99
AF Newbie

I had a 1986 Ford T-Bird painted at Maaco. Up close you could see drips in the paint but, over all it looked good. I have an old Pathfinder I plan to get painted there, not because I expect it to be a show stopper, but because I just need a decent paintjob to get me by until I can afford to get another truck. Maaco should only be used as a cheap fix until you can get something better!
serendipity99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:45 PM   #45
Corey614
AF Newbie

Re: Maaco?

I said I have an Infinity G20 1992, not a Cobra!!!!!!
Corey614 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Primera | G20 > Cosmetics