Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 06:36 PM   #1
kurkovn2005
AF Newbie

Bad fuel consumsion. I need advise here.

GA_googleFillSlot("Forums_ROS_300x250_noad");I have a 96 Jetta and it has around 125,000 miles on it. Ever since I got it. It gets about 21-22 miles per gallon on the freeway. Msn says it should be around 30 for free way. But another thing that is weird about it and hopefully will help me to know the problem, is that when I start the car the starter keeps on spining through until I finnally press the gas and then it starts with alot of burned gas from the exaust. Also once I press the gas if I let it go quickly the car dyes out again. So usually I have to hold the gas for like 3 seconds. But this occurs randomly. Some times it starts ok. But like around three days ago it was really bad. So I really need advise on what to change. I thought to maybe change the O2 sensor since they need to be changed at around 100,000 miles. i got the car at 104,000. So maybe that. But I dont know if that really has any affect on the ignition of the car. Some of my freinds have advise for me to change the fuel ingector. I never heard of anyone changing that. Usually you can just put in fuel injector cleaner or slowly through time go to the 91 fuel that cleans it out too, which I did and it did not help. Also there is the fuel pump but I am pretty sure that it has nothing to do with the ignition. Please help if anyone knows anything about this kind of a problem. I really wanna get the fuel system to work right. And I also have the check engine light always on. I recently changed the spark plugs and the wires. So that is all brand new and works fine. If anyone has advise please let me know. I dont wanna buy a bunch of stuff that I dont need. Thank you.
kurkovn2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:04 PM   #2
gob 455
AF Newbie

Re: Bad fuel consumsion. I need advise here.

I dont know for sure, but if your jetta has a bad MASS AIRFLOW SENSOR it can cause all kinds of problems. If you have one it's usualy mounted in the intake tube between the filter box and intake manifold. If the car has a cold air kit in it, somone may have inadverntily removed the MAF. I've seen this twice. If it dosen't come with a MAF it may have a MANAFOLD ABSOLUT PRESSURE sensor. The MAP will cause the same problmes as the MAF. That sensor usually is conected to the intake manifold directly or with a hose.
gob 455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:59 PM   #3
kurkovn2005
AF Newbie

Re: Bad fuel consumsion. I need advise here.

Thanks for the advise, i do have an aftermarket intake system that was already installed when I got the car. But there is a MAF sensor there right by the filter. Like a month ago I cleaned out the whole intake system. and it had oil in that part but now it is ok and the problem still is there. Is there a way to know if it is broken or not. I just keep on wondering why when I start the car it feels like there is to much fuel that in the ignition part of the engine that it cant start it. But once it does. It burns so much fuel right away that there is like a blue cloud of burned smoke that comes out. So I dont really know what it is. Also I want to change the O2 sensor but I dont know where it is exactly located in a Jetta, would you know? The best though would be picture. I have a 2.0 litter 1996 Jetta. If anyone could show me that would be really helpful too. Also I am wondering where the place to get O2 sensors is ok. Like I found some on ebay for like 20$ but when you go to shucks they are like $115. Would you know if those on ebay are a rip off?
kurkovn2005 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General