Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Bonneville
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 08:55 PM   #1
mikeld05
AF Newbie

Question Amps=Need for more power

I've recently have been looking into replacing my stock bose system in my 98 Sse. The system im going to upgrade to will include 2 amps. One 2 channel 1200 watt amp powering the subs. While another to power the rear deck and front deck in combination with a pioneer deck(4x50watt 22rms). Of course the second amp will be a 4 channel amp but significantly weaker than the first.I was considering somthing that could push 75-90 rmsx4. But my main concern is will there be and affects of removing my stock radio and if the car can handle the electrical demand with out the help of a compassitor or another battery. I also been told that buying a more powerfull alternator could help. What i mention cost alot and makes me consider not adding so much. but Im oppen to suggestions on how to power this type of system and also reconmindation on rear deck and front deck speakers(with price in mind) Thank you
mikeld05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 11:27 AM   #2
maasp1985
AF Newbie

Re: Amps=Need for more power

I think you should be fine..I have a 15" kicker that is running off an 1800 Watt amp and I also have a 960W 4 channel running the interior speakers. My system sounds good but the lights dim when the amp hits hard. I have a 4farad cap that I have not installed on this car but I had it on my last car. The cap helps with big hits and makes your amp sound more consistent. It also helps with the lights dimming. If you install everything and you dont mind your lights dimming then you should be fine. If want to eliminate the light dimming or minimize it, buy a cap. The larger the better but I would say your system shouldnt need more than a 10 farad cap. You can also upgrade your alternator or buy a deep cycle battery. The cap is probably the cheapest route.
maasp1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 12:53 PM   #3
mikeld05
AF Newbie

Re: Amps=Need for more power

Yeah it worked out. I opted to just replace the speakers(all in ones) and keep all the tweaters. Then one amp to power the subs and a cd deck. So all in all it worked out and im happy, maybe later in life ill put some componite speakers in and another amp. Since upgrading i realized the Bose was half bad lol
mikeld05 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Bonneville