Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 04:39 PM   #121
C32Bperformance
AF Enthusiast

i dont understand that one my self.
Old 07-03-2003, 04:40 PM   #122
C32Bperformance
AF Enthusiast

Hey, ive been wonderin this, how do you quote a person with their name attached? All i can see to do is that reg quote thing and its got no name attached to it,
Old 07-03-2003, 05:00 PM   #123
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by C32Bperformance
Hey, ive been wonderin this, how do you quote a person with their name attached? All i can see to do is that reg quote thing and its got no name attached to it,
I don't know, I just click ''quote'' and at the screen you type at it comes up ''originally posted by XXXXX'' with at the beginning and at the end. Maybe it's soemthing in your preferences. ???
PWMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 05:01 PM   #124
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

oh the [i] stands for italic print, and the [b] stands for bold.
PWMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 06:37 PM   #125
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Send a message via AIM to eckoman_pdx Send a message via Yahoo to eckoman_pdx
Ok, correct me if I'm wrong PWMAN. I agree with you and shhh_burn all the way on the LS issue, as you probably figured since I started this thread askin about turboing the LS versus LS/Vtec or LS/Vtec turbo. Besides the LS having a stronger bottom end, more torque, and hitting torque at a lower RPM, the Transmisson is also better suited for turbo apps due to the gear ratios it possess, correct?
eckoman_pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 07:31 PM   #126
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

There is a lot of controversy over this, but IMO longer is better for turbo. So yes the LS tranny is better. You stay in the gear longer alowing the turbo to do a lot of work and make more power, if you have a GSR tranny or ITR tranny you shift quick before it gets a chance to spool very much.
My 87 Dodge Daytona has very long gearing. All factory turbo cars that I know of have had long gearing, like 3000GT VR-4, Eclipse GST, Nissan 300 ZX TT, and Daytona's. Actually, just to really prove it to you, my version on the Daytona is a T1. It makes 146 HP, the next version is a T2, which makes 174 HP. The T2 is considered their starting performance car, (there is also T3 and T4) it has MUCH longer gearing than mine. Now there is a reason OEM manufacturer's put longer gearing in a higher performance car right? yes.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:07 PM   #127
hybridsol
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to hybridsol
Quote:
Originally posted by whtteg
I don't know how this would play into a turbo application,but the gsr head is going to have secondary runners on the intake and the B16 head won't. I have seen some guys on teamintegra.com talking about disabling the secondary runners so maybe they are not as good as the regular B16 runners. Just a thought, maybe someone will correct anything that is not true or explain why or why not the secondary runners will help or hurt the performance from a turbo motor.
Wow this thread has gotten (interesting) since my last post. Anyway to answer your question whtteg first you need to understand (and I'm shure you already do, not trying to insult your intelligence) that long and narrow runners favor lower RPM's, and the smaller width helps increase the air speed. Shorter wider runners favor higher RPM's because they have a higher resonant frequency, and the larger diameter allows better air flow. The GSR uses 2 sets of runners with different lengths in one intake manifold in order to have two different peak torques. With the 2 sets of runners overcoming the either or decision. But when your using two sets of runners you get an increase in surface area which diminishes flow quality at higher rpm. You would be better off losing the GSR manifold, and getting an Intake manifold with bigger diameter runners as well as shorter length runners (even over the b16 runners). Hope that clears it up a little.
hybridsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 10:08 PM   #128
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Send a message via AIM to eckoman_pdx Send a message via Yahoo to eckoman_pdx
Hey, thanks PWMAN. You stated it perfectly. I was thinking along the same lines, but you explained just why it is considered a better suited tranny prefactly. I was thinking that, but for some reason couldn't put it into words. Again, I thank you, shhh_burn, and whtteg for being of much help so far thoughout this entire thread. BTW, shh_burn, is yours is an LS Turbo, not an LS/Vtec turbo, correct? I understand the B16 head is probably the better of the 2 heads for an LS/Vtec, but the reliablity issue I keep hearing is steering me towards an LS Turbo instead of an LS/Vtec turbo. You can still break 400HP without the LS/Vtec (thats of course building it correctly). I just hear mixed reviews on the longevity of LS/Vtec's everywhere I go, so keepin it non-vtec seems the safer bet.
eckoman_pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 12:50 AM   #129
DblOvrhedCamron
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to DblOvrhedCamron Send a message via Yahoo to DblOvrhedCamron
Quote:
Originally posted by ssshhhh (_burn_)

fuck you and your small motor
fuck you and your imaginary car.

DblOvrhedCamron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 12:59 AM   #130
ssshhhh (_burn_)
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ssshhhh (_burn_)
Quote:
Originally posted by PWMAN

If you don't rev over 7K the LS is just as strong. It wasn't meant to be revved, and it doesn't have to be. Most guys that do LS/VTEC try to scream their motors because they think they have too and thats why it blew up. It makes it's peak HP at 6300, so it makes no sense to rev over 7K anyway.
ls/vtec's with stock internals are built by idiots trying to follow a trend in the "import scene"

6.7 @ 211mph whooping kubo's ass all over the track
ssshhhh (_burn_) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 01:04 AM   #131
ssshhhh (_burn_)
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Thats as close as you can come in this forum on deciding which motor is better, but i honestly think if (_burn_) had put as much time and money and tuning efforts into a b16, he would be faster.

The b16 makes equal hp as the ls with much, much less boost. And that is not really even considering my original arguement, that it can in fact handle more boost than the ls.
im really not trying to be rude.....but you are seriously wrong. the simple fact is that NOTHING NOT EVEN REVS can create power like displacement.... and PLEASE do not tell me how my car would be faster with the same amount of money and time. thats just flat out bullshit. the only way i could get the same kind of power out of a b16 that im pushing is if i stroked the fuck out of it, and then it wouldnt be a b16 technically. btw....my engine is NOT 1.8 liters. it is 2.1 liters. find a b16 that is actually 1.6 liter making 500 to the wheels and ask the person how much money he/she spent on that dart block with bronze head.

Old 07-04-2003, 01:08 AM   #132
ssshhhh (_burn_)
AF Enthusiast

Quote:

Sorry buddy, thats wrong. You can ask any real engineer or tuner. VTEC helps no matter what. All thats happening is that some, SOME boost is being lost between overlap. You arent having trouble making boost. It boost just fine.
VTEC DOES NOT MATTER. if you know how vtec works and why it does what it does....youd know that its the aggressive side that makes power. lets just put it this way......
the crane cams i may try out in my car have the effect of the skunk 2 n/a race cams vtec throughout my WHOLE powerband. im running modest crower turbo cams right now and it has a grind similar to many many aftermarket vtec cams agressive lobe. so essentially im getting the vtec you boys crave ALL THE TIME

Old 07-04-2003, 01:16 AM   #133
YOUNGSTER
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to YOUNGSTER Send a message via MSN to YOUNGSTER Send a message via Yahoo to YOUNGSTER
why is it shh you never anser dbl you always answer all questions accept for his im starting to think your car doesnt exist can you post some pics ?
MODS: Motor :jdm b16 block, itr head, skunk 2 cam gears, msd ignition, intake, exhaust, straight pipe, skunk 2 ecu. act race clutch Suspension : grnd cntrl coilovers, 4 way adj shocks , spoon strut bar, skunk 2 sway bar, itr control arms, energy bushings misc. : super nice jdm seats, momo detachable steering wheel, Jdm clutster, Spoon Cf duckbill wing, vision smoked amber turn signals. COMING VERY SOON IN DAYS LS vtec ARP ROD BOLTS HEAD BOLTS AND 75 SHOT OF GIGLE JUICE look in my galler
YOUNGSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 01:16 AM   #134
ssshhhh (_burn_)
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by DblOvrhedCamron

fuck you and your imaginary car.
hahaha get off my testicles kid. your gonna get shat on by some "imaginary vdubs also". i already asked john the guy with the turbo vr6 (the slow one) and he wants a piece. you'll like his plates

Old 07-04-2003, 01:18 AM   #135
ssshhhh (_burn_)
AF Enthusiast

i already posted an older picture of my car in a previous thread but for your viewing i will post it again. look for an edit as soon as i can find it.