Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 03:56 PM   #16
searcherrr
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to searcherrr Send a message via MSN to searcherrr Send a message via Yahoo to searcherrr
Question Re: Need your help: What is part number for Vehicle Speed Sensor 95 3.8L Windstar GL

My gas gauge and miles driven are way off. Despite all the problems I've had electrical-wise for the past 2-3 years now, I think since I recently discovered a bad ground and fixed it (prior to the VSS going out) that the recent installation of the VSS may have been done wrong with regards to the speedometer cable possibly being loose. There's no way I could be showing almost 1/4 tank used (from full) and only having gone 39 miles.

Think the speedometer cable is likely loosened since the mechanic replaced my VSS? They said they could barely reach it when they did it.

Would a loose speedo cable affect odometer readings & at the same time SPEED readings? Or just odometer?
"I drive the newest 1995 Ford Windstar anywhere..... when its not broken."
searcherrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:39 PM   #17
wiswind
AF Moderator

Re: Need your help: What is part number for Vehicle Speed Sensor 95 3.8L Windstar GL

The speedometer cable drives the speedometer assembly....which includes the odometer.
If the speedometer is correct.....the odometer should be correct.
If you have a GPS unit (or can borrow one from a friend)......you could compare the MPH reading from that to your speedometer.
Also.....miles driven on the GPS to your odometer........a cheap and easy way to check it out. (I would not buy one just for this test......but a good use for one if you have one, or access to one).

I know that you already know this..........but for others......
For fuel economy.....you will need to fill the gasoline tank......drive until you have used a significant amount (more than 1/2 tank), then fill up.......and divide the miles driven by how much it took to fill the tank the 2nd time.
The most accurate value is one that you get by averaging a number of tanks of gasoline (I have had 1 tank wonders.....and 1 tank terribles).
The gauge can be somewhat inaccurate.......and can only be a general indication of fuel level.
At the FULL and near empty are common zones for in-accurate readings.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4157486...092975/detail/
2003 Toyota Sienna pictures (not much there yet)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4157486...781661/detail/
wiswind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:01 AM   #18
jnastoga1
AF Newbie

Re: Need your help: What is part number for Vehicle Speed Sensor 95 3.8L Windstar GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by searcherrr View Post
As title states, if someone could provide me that OEM part number for a 95 3.8L Windstar GL you'd be saving me a lot of time and trouble. Speed sensor went out on a very long trip and if you've been following my other very long thread about fixing my van you know what I've been through. Thanks. I have to go and can't find it right now. Hope someone can help me later.
sc208 is for the tranny input speed sensor I believe .. hope that helps !
jnastoga1 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar