Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > F-Body Problem Diagnosis
F-Body Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 06:19 AM   #1
chevyrulespops
AF Regular

Ramjet 350 with no timing marks

Hello everyone! I have a RamJet 350. I changed out the MFEI 4 computer (garbage), wiring harness and the stock ECM controlled distributor and replaced it with the FAST EFI Multiport Retrofit System, MSD 6AL box and a distributor from Davis Unified Ignitions that was custom tuned to the Camaro and the engine. My question is, do I retain the same timing as I had previously, which appears to have been close to or near TDC where there is a factory "dot" inscribed? I think I may have been robbing myself of some power by using that as the reference mark for timing. The reason I say that is because when I originally turned over th motor with someone turning the distributor, the car turned on BTDC and it sounded great. When I brought it down to the "dot" it didnt seem as smooth anymore. Has anyone seen a SBC that has BTDC to the right of the timing notch on the flywheel. The "dot" is slightly to the right of the V Notch that's on the timing cover. I'm not too keen on timing controlled distributors. From all of the research I've done, some people say it stays at the dot and others say you have to get timing tape. Does anyone have any experience with these engines? I just finished the install and it turned on after it had been sitting for over a year.
chevyrulespops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:38 AM   #2
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Re: Ramjet 350 with no timing marks

When in doubt, use the crankshaft keyway as the reference or use a piston stop and degree wheel. When TDC on the balancer is established, you can install a timing tape which will come off in three months or engrave/file/cut a groove in the balancer outer ring at the verified TDC mark. Of course, the timing tab will then be in question and may reqiure adjustment.

Once the timing marking on the balancer and tab are verified (or corrected) the base timing can be set with your little flashing light. That may be helpful to know where it is at, but it doesn't determine where it should be. Experimentation may be the only way to establish that. There are too many variables for anyone to definitively tell you what the base timing should be.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:15 AM   #3
Tech II
AF Fanatic

What year?
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:31 AM   #4
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

That's maybe not as relevant as one might believe. The Ram Jet 350 is a GMPP crate engine, never OEM installed in anything.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > F-Body Problem Diagnosis