Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-09-2002, 07:35 PM   #16
OffroadX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to OffroadX
I wouldn't use 0W30 unless you live where it stays below 0 for long periods. It isn't even recommended by Nissan for any temp range. They call for 5W30 down to -20 F and below.

I seem to recall someone mentioning that there are 2 Nissan filters that fit the X, one has an anti-drainback valve and one doesn't. Whatever one I've been getting has it. A pint of oil spills out when I change the filter, even after the engine hasn't been run for over 12 hours. That pint of oil reaches the top of the engine almost instantly. No valve means the oil has to travel all the way from the pan.

Then again, I don't worry about a couple of seconds of tapping at startup anyway.

Brent
OffroadX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002, 09:41 PM   #17
chris1990path
AF Newbie

Question engine noise/clatter at start up

Howdy...I have a 1990 SE-V6 5-speed 4x4 Pathfinder with over 206,000 miles on the original engine and she's still going strong...but at start up first of the day I often get some clatter noise for a moment or two and when driving the first few miles there is an apparant valve tapping (no. 2 cylinder...when spark pug is disconnected...sound seems to be gone) that is somewhat annoying...and after a few miles it goes away to almost unnoticeable. Anytime the car sits for more than 10 minutes or so and then driven again the noise is back and then fades away again. The engine runs really well, does not smoke or burn excessive gas...I get over 300 miles to a tank! not bad I think.

Its helpful to see that I should have my timing checked ...other regular tune up stuff has already been done and I run Valvoline 10w-40 extra guard for older engines (is that a real deal or is Valvoline full of crap?) I tried adding a synthetic additive and it made no difference. I have used a fuel system cleaner and it did help performance when I first got the vehicle last winter...also added a K&N air filter. I think I will try the BG 44K products that I have seen listed here since it couldnt hurt right?!? I also saw where they have an Air Intake system cleaner too...has anyone tried that as well?

also adding a RAVIN free flow muffler and headers soon

If anyone else knows of any suggestions on reducing my engine/valve chatter..(hydraulic lifters) please let me know ok!
chris1990path is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 09:03 PM   #18
diversetek
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to diversetek Send a message via MSN to diversetek
How many cans do i need? Do i just pour it in and drive? Sorry but i'm a newb, so help me out guys. Thanks
diversetek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 09:16 PM   #19
rrdstarr
AF Enthusiast

Cool

One can of BG44K on a full tank of gas. Do it every 10,000 miles.
rrdstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 10:39 PM   #20
diversetek
AF Regular

I have 2 other Suv's, 03' Grand Cherokee and 02' Pathfinder. It doesn't matter which car or type right?
Old 06-12-2003, 03:30 PM   #21
jj.harris
AF Newbie

BG 44k

Hey all,

About the BG Products. If the change in oil is helping. The HI L0W30 from BG is Mobile1 0W30 oil with MOA in it.

If you don't want to pay that much, go with your synthetic or traditional oil and add MOA to it. That might stop the tapping.

Also, if the BG44K doesn't stop the combustion clogging problem, have your local shop do a BG Fuel Induction Cleaning or EGR Cleaning on the vehicle. Those might take care of it too.
Old 06-23-2003, 02:15 PM   #22
diversetek
AF Regular

Do BG 44k's have an expiration date?

I just bought 2 cans of bg 44k but its not identical to the pics on the first post. Its part # is 208, i'm not sure if its the older version....is there a difference? I bought it on ebay, so i want to know if i got jipped or not. Thanks guys!
Old 06-23-2003, 11:58 PM   #23
jj.harris
AF Newbie

BG44K have an expiration date

From what I know, 44K does not have an expiration date.

My sources say that one of BG's products did have an expiration date for a short time, however that has since changed.

I would think that if the can has not been opened then the chemicals inside are good. As for the look of the can, can images have changed over the years, however BG 44K, product #208 is a patented formula and should not have changed.

If you are still worried, go to www.bgfindashop.com and find a service department at a dealership or an independent store that has BG products in their inventory. Ask them if you can trade them in, or if you can get the number of the regional distributor for your area and see if they would trade it in.
Old 09-12-2003, 10:09 AM   #24
SWEET03X
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to SWEET03X
reading this post is making me a little scared about getting my wife this 03 xterra,even it seems like a sweet ride,just reading this post is making think if i will be getting my self into any issues that i might like in the near future?
SWEET03X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 01:00 AM   #25
dolfo
AF Newbie

I have a 96 4.3 that has been idling rough for the last 5 yrs. I've had the fuel injectors cleaned and then replaced but it still idles rough. Reading through some of the posts I discovered that carbon can keep the EGR valve open. I took out the EGR and sure enough I could blow through the valve. After tapping, scraping and spraying with carb cleaner it finally sealed. After re-installing, the car ran much better for a few days then started to get worse. I pulled the valve again and it had a lot of carbon in it again and wasn't closing properly. I went and bought some Seafoam motor tuneup http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpConsumer.htm which I read on some posts did a great job of getting rid of carbon build up. After all the smoke cleared I took it for a drive and it was more responsive and seemed to have better power. I also put some in the tank and after I empty the tank I'll install the gasket for the EGR that I made with a fine mesh screen from my wifes tea ball ( she'll never miss it!) sandwiched between 2 EGR gaskets with RTV sealent. This is supposed to keep the big chunks out of the EGR valve to keep it running smooth . I also ordered some Auto-RX to run through the engine. It's supposed to do a great job of cleaning out all the sludge and gunk that builds up in the engine along with freeing up stuck rings helping valve guides and engine seals. It sounds to good to be true but considering how much I've spent on Mechanics and unneccesary parts another $25 will be a bargain if half the claims for it are true. Check it out http://140.239.139.96/ARXforums/ . Will let you know how it turns out.
dolfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:32 PM   #26
crashed german...
AF Newbie

Re: Carbon buildup? Dirty injectors? Try this!

Can anyone tell me if this BG44K, would work to clean-up carbon build-up due to burning ethanol. I just bought an '08 flex-fuel Impala..Doesnt seem to pick up the way it should..It has 82,000 miles on it as it was a company car for the 1 yr and 11 months previous to my owning it, I assume that they had been burning E-85...I have spoken with a few mechanics I know and they are split on the effects of burning E-85...2 have said it would build up carbon on the intake and eventually need to be cleaned....2 said E-85 burns cleaner and that it should keep the engine cleaner then regular unleaded...I dont know who to believe but I do know that the car runs fine, it just should have more horse-power and pick-up off the gun....Ive used a generic injector cleaner in my 1st two fill-ups...not sure if it made much differance...so many questions I have here..mainly, do I likely have carbon build-up??? and will a generic injector cleaner help??? Or should I try BG44K??? Or maybe just follow dealership mechanics recommendations on what to use??? Appreciate any help or advise you can give me...
crashed german... is offline   Reply With Quote