Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Exterior | bodykits | Lighting
Exterior | bodykits | Lighting When your ready to showoff that 'H' ride, here's your forum!
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-26-2003, 02:51 AM   #1
filmfiend81
AF Newbie

1 Day Paint & Body experiences?

Has anyone dealt with 1 Day Paint & Body? I've definately eliminated Maaco as an option, but some reviews I'm reading say that Maaco's top 2 services (about $600 & $1100) are very respectable. I'm thinking of going from my Iced Teal to Black. Does anyone have any insight?

--Taylor
filmfiend81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 01:16 PM   #2
SD_Baby
AF Newbie

No!!!!!

I made the mistake of getting my car painted there a year ago. Within 3 months it started peeling everywhere. Plus the workmanship was really bad. They didnt tape right so there were places where it faded from the new color to the old color and places where you could see straight through to the original paint. I ended up with paint on my lights and trimming and emblems. And buffing markes on my trimming. I have been trying to get them to fix it completely for months. So far they have only agreed to "touch up" the parts that are peeling but that wont fix the places that you can see the original paint or fix the bubbles in the paint.
SD_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 01:26 PM   #3
Sexy beast
Banned

I had a ham sandwitch for lunch.
Sexy beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 09:54 PM   #4
castback
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to castback Send a message via MSN to castback
i was thinking of macco also but dont know yet. my car is poop brown with a primered gray body kit
castback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 03:00 AM   #5
Rein
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Rein
I got a black metallic paint job from 1 Day Paint and Body over a year and a half ago and it is still great. I don't have any emblems so that wasn't a problem. They fixed some minor rust spots perfectly at minimal costs. I had urethane lips and sideskirts painted as well and noticed bubbles on the rear lip, so I took it back and they gladly repainted it under the terms of the 5 year warranty against peeling, fading, and bubbling. Fast service, great product, and good to the customers. I wasn't expecting much out of the $500 single stage paint job. I believe now that they have a $1200 or so factory quality paint system. Once I get my 71 Challenger, I'm definately going for that one.
*Axis Seven 18s
Future mods:
*H&R full coilover suspension
*APR Stage III+ Turbo Kit (310 hp, 345 ft lbs)
*Stop Tech Slotted Big Brake Kit
Click here to check out my car on Cardomain.com

Secondary car: Black 1992 Civic Si

"Every man dies. Not every man really lives"

Rein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 03:53 AM   #6
njaccord
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to njaccord
i got my accord painted at maaco over her in jersey. it ran me 1500 for 2 stage base paint then clear coat with 4 year warranty. came out pretty good. had it for half a year and it looks like brand new. got one of those factory paints for the '03 hondas. definately DO NOt go with a cheap paint job. it will peel or crack within the first year. i've seen it happen. well, good luck with the paint job buddy.
-Clear lenses all around
-Tinted windows 35% all around
-Street Glow blue neon dome light
-Indiglo gauges
-Carbon fiber dash trim
-Kenwood MP3 head unit
-Pioneer speakers
-Front upper strut bar
-Tein S. Tech springs 2.1"F/1.7"R
-KYB AGX ajustable gas shocks
-2 1/2" straight pipe cat-back exhaust
njaccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 02:22 PM   #7
SD_Baby
AF Newbie

I got the Plus 4 system in a metallic blue from One day paint and the color changes package. The manager explained to me that urethane or plastic bumpers and door jams are not covered by the warranty so they wont repair the peeling there. Also "bubbles" are not covered by warranty just peeling, fading or wrinkling. The paint is under warranty not their work so they wont repaint the places where you can see through to the paint.
SD_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 10:01 AM   #8
Charon9
AF Newbie

I saw this thread and had to comment.

I have been painting custom cars for about 18 years and there is one thing to say to threads like this:

You Get What You Pay For.

I can see how 1 day paint shops “can” do this type of work – I just don’t see why people are ?_Dumb_? Enough to pay for it.

The reason they don’t warrantee any “Edges” (around doors and such) is the prep time involved. Prep time for painting a car is EVERYTHING to prep a car for a complete paint job, and do it right takes a minimum of 20 man hours with NO body damage or paint defects, this includes “properly” taping the car so the paint will “feather” and burn into door jambs and the like.
You have to sand inside those door jambs, trunk edges, take the bumpers and lights off the car and sand behind them too, without doing that the paint won’t stick. Any time you paint a car and don’t do it all the way to the edges your leaving them open, if they are open they will pull moisture under your new paint job, this will make it bubble up in places and flake off (water trapped under the paint will boil under the heat of the sun and the pressure will cause a bubble or crack).

Paints:
Macco (and places like them) use a 1 stage paint system that combine a BC / CC into one stage, it looks good for about a week and starts to discolor and get blurry (this is because the pigment (the thing that makes it colored to start with) is “supposed” to turn under the clear, but it does not).
Your new cars are painted with a 2 stage (or 3 stage) system:
Base Coat (the color of the car)
Clear Coat (the thing that makes it shine, is durable, and protects the base coat)
3 stage systems (All of the really cool colors that change as light hits them (Pearls and such))
Base Coat (a basic color (solid))
Tint Coat (a semi clear “highlight” color, specially light reflective)
Clear Coat (clear on top of “this” paint system adds depth)

The reason I tell you about these types of paint jobs is because of “cure times” or flash times. Using the fastest (and dirtiest) clear I could, allowing for cure, color sand, buff and polish, would NOT be under 4 hours.

Costs (Paint & related):
The “Cheapest” 1 stage paint out there will run you about $50.00 per gallon (including related chemicals (reducers, activators thinners and the like), this paint has a life on the car of about a year if done right (and less than 24 hours if done like most do)
PPG low brand “Laser Red pearl metallic” will run you about $50.00 a pint ($400.00 a gallon) with NO reducers, activators, thinners and the like. This paint should last you 5 years or so if you keep up with it.
Akzo Nobel, Sikkens Autoclear “Laser Red pearl metallic” will run you about $500.00 per pint ($4,000.00 a gallon) with NO reducers, activators, thinner and the like. This paint will look as good in 10 years as the PPG did in the first week, with the same care.

Now, it is up to you what you do – Most shops will take your money for whatever it is you decide you want to do, I would suggest you think over what I have said here and talk to a few of the independent body shops in your area about what I have said here, or even check http://members.tripod.com/~bobstory/faq.html (if you think I’m blowing smoke up your kilt).
Charon9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 11:14 AM   #9
briea
AF Newbie

my boyfriend works at maaco. they do offer more than one stage paint jobs. and it also depends on which maaco you go to. they are a franchise so each owner may have different standards than another. my dad also owns a custom restoration and paint shop. he works on old classics but he also does accidents and somtimes the cars that come in, he does the same that any other shop does, sends the car to maaco. if you have 15 cars that need to be painted the less "important" ones will be sent else where. they cant tell the difference (unless youve been painting custom car for about 18 years). who besides charon9 knows what orange peel is and can see it on a car. maaco actually does a better job at painting cars than most dealerships. if you were to pick up a brand new car from chevy you would find orange peel. and if you wanted to wet sand and buff it out ur screwed cuz the paint is too thin. so if you want something done right and fast and cheap, i would say look at your local maaco and try to see some of the cars they have done in the past and see what you think. i have had two cars painted at maaco with the one stage paint job and a year later they still look fine no peeling or bubbling. it all depends on the shop. and really the painter if he had a crap day he aint gonna care what your car looks like at the end of the day. even a a custom paint shop. the manager may not care either. so for sure do some research. and good luck
briea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 02:49 PM   #10
jajimo
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1 Day Paint & Body experiences?

Charon9: Thanks for the info, very helpful. I was hoping you could give me some insight on what's required for painting a body kit (namely a wingswest skirt/lip kit, so everything bolts on). If I spend $700 on a kit, I don't want to spend another $700 on painting it, but I also don't want to spend $700 on a kit and paint it and have it look like shit. Thanks again!
jajimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 01:08 PM   #11
DUSTIN7878
AF Newbie

Hey custom paint guy, you're obviously very knowledgable about body and paint, not arguing that, but you say people that get cheap paint jobs are dumb. Not everyone can afford a five thousand dollar paint job and not every car is even worth it. so can't we just throw some cheap paint on our cheap cars to keep them from rusting and looking like cop bait ? I have a 73 Nova that I got for $800 and have put maybe $2500 into. Just a daily driver , I wish I could have somebody like you paint my car, but don't have that money and cars not worth that. these cheap place do completely suck, but theres a little insight into why people go. I am thinking of having some high quality black primer sprayed at a good shop and just driving it like that. better than crap paint.
DUSTIN7878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 01:48 PM   #12
kicker1_solo
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to kicker1_solo Send a message via Yahoo to kicker1_solo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charon9
The reason they don’t warrantee any “Edges” (around doors and such) is the prep time involved. Prep time for painting a car is EVERYTHING to prep a car for a complete paint job, and do it right takes a minimum of 20 man hours with NO body damage or paint defects, this includes “properly” taping the car so the paint will “feather” and burn into door jambs and the like.
I completely agree with you. At my shop when we do a car it's usually me and one other man that start early in the morning and the car is not ready to spray until probably close to midnight. Two men stripping a car and prepping it and it still takes all day. There's no way a place can say they can do EVERYTHING in one day and have it look nice. We spend almost a whole day with two men just doing prep work, and then the spray and dry time. We have gotten a couple cars done in a 24 hour period though, that's with two of us busting ass all day and all night. Ahh, I remember those nights with 2 hours of sleep, good stuff. But to strip a car, prep, paint, dry, put back together, is going to take much longer than 1 day for a quality job.

I have pics somewhere of some of the cars we've done if anyone is interested...

Yakima Valley Truck Club Yakima Washington
kicker1_solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 01:56 PM   #13
DUSTIN7878
AF Newbie

Not to defend one day paint & body, but they do not do it in one day. thats just the name. they told me about 3 days is typical.
DUSTIN7878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 05:53 AM   #14
CrimsonSam
AF Newbie

Paint and Body Maintenance and Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmfiend81
Has anyone dealt with 1 Day Paint & Body? I've definately eliminated Maaco as an option, but some reviews I'm reading say that Maaco's top 2 services (about $600 & $1100) are very respectable. I'm thinking of going from my Iced Teal to Black. Does anyone have any insight?

--Taylor
I agree it CAN be fixed but its hard to do unless you do it yourself or have a friend who's a body man do it since the body shops make their money on insurance payouts not on fixing cars really.

After a long time I finally got this guy to do my car since he can do custom work:

<A HREF="http://mastermatchauto.com" ALT="auto body repair, long beach, body work, paint, california, mobile auto body">auto body repair, long beach, body work, paint, california, mobile auto body</A>

The rest said "man that's going to cost more than your car is worth" or "sure I can just slap some bondo on there..." or "its not worth it..." - they didnt understand that I just wanted the dents fixed for an honest price. And half of them didnt even know wtf they were doing saying that they had this "special tool" that would do it and they werent making much sense explaining how the magic tool would work (it was pretty funny and obvious they were making it up as the went.)

but like the guys said, just NEVER take the insurance companies first offer, find the 10 highest priced 944 turbos in your area or on ebay (like the $20k ones) and show the insurance those prices, they have to come close to them (I think its the law).
CrimsonSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 06:08 AM   #15
Greenblurr93
Kind of a Big Deal

Send a message via MSN to Greenblurr93

Thanks for the insight and your opinion....but please... this thread is over 2 years old.... dont bring dead threads back to life.
Greenblurr93 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Exterior | bodykits | Lighting