Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 08:52 PM   #1
logsta11
AF Newbie

Front Disc Brakes on the Rear of a car?

I'm building a 1982 Corolla DX rally car. I am just wondering, is it possible to put front disc brakes on the rear end of the car. I have lots of spare calipers, rotors etc but they are for the front end of the car and I can't seem to find anything suitable to put on the rear end of the car. I do however have drums for the rear end but they aren't really suitable for rallying.
Thanks
logsta11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 09:33 PM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: Front Disc Brakes on the Rear of a car?

Do you plan to need a parking brake of some form? It seems a parking brake in a rally car could be kind of useful, but installing brake calipers intended for the front will not have any form of parking brake function. You'd also need to rig up some way to install the caliper on the rear and fit the correct diameter rotor on the rear. There's probably not much chance just bolting the front steering hub in the rear would work. Oh, and you'd need to get a brake proportioning valve that will allow you to balance the front to rear braking.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:59 PM   #3
logsta11
AF Newbie

Re: Front Disc Brakes on the Rear of a car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorod View Post
Do you plan to need a parking brake of some form? It seems a parking brake in a rally car could be kind of useful, but installing brake calipers intended for the front will not have any form of parking brake function. You'd also need to rig up some way to install the caliper on the rear and fit the correct diameter rotor on the rear. There's probably not much chance just bolting the front steering hub in the rear would work. Oh, and you'd need to get a brake proportioning valve that will allow you to balance the front to rear braking.

-Rod
Yeah it would need a parking brake. Probably just going to invest in a whole back end including diff etc as this seems like the best option.
logsta11 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
brakes , corolla , disc , drum , ke70
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical