Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Small Engines ATVs Go Karts and Lawn Mowers etc
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Small Engines ATVs Go Karts and Lawn Mowers etc From ATVs to Watercraft, Go karts to Lawn Mowers, discuss your small engines here.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 11:15 PM   #1
PeteA216
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to PeteA216
Question Very off topic, Don't know where else to turn: ATC Idle

Hey guys, I know this is REDICULOUSLY off topic , but I don't know where else to turn. Every one here seems to be very knowledgable, and willing to help, so I'm hoping I might be able to get some advice.

I just got a very old, small ATC (three wheeler). It runs great, starts up on the first pull every time... except one thing. The idle is insanely high when its cold, and as it warms up the idle gradually slows down to the point where it can barely stay running even with the idle screw turned all the way in. Can anyone here make any sense of this? Oh and if it helps, its a 1985 Kawasaki 110cc ATC. Its bigger than it sounds, and quicker than I ever expected for its size. Just a little thing ta bomb around on for kicks.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm not expectig much seeing this is a Caprice Classic forum, but I've been posting here for a couple of years and like I said, everyone seems to be very knowlegable and willing to help. I don't really know where else to turn. Thanks in advance everyone! (even if I don't get any help)
Old 10-29-2006, 11:40 PM   #2
capriceowns
AF Regular

Re: Very off topic, Don't know where else to turn: ATC Idle

It could be a leak from were the carb mounts to the engine. They could be a big hard plastic piece and 2 gaskets on either side, or it may be just a gasket between the carb and side of the engine. I dont remeber when Kawasaki changed the big gay plastic piece which loved to leak a lot to just one gasket. or there can be a intake like tube betwene the carb and engine. Im just rambling, lol. Ive never worked with kawasaki, mainly Honda and suzuki.

I would replace all gaskets that are between the carb and engine. and go through the carb as well and clean out the jets.

To me this sounds like a vaccum leak and as the engine gets hot it goes away cause something is expanding and blocking it.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:08 AM   #3
PeteA216
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to PeteA216

Cool, thanks! Gaskets for this ol'd thing are hard to find, and expensive because of their rarety, so I'll take everything apart, reusing old gaskets if possible, and use a bunch of gasket sealer. I hope it helps. Thanks again!
Old 10-30-2006, 12:28 PM   #4
capriceowns
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteA216
Cool, thanks! Gaskets for this ol'd thing are hard to find, and expensive because of their rarety, so I'll take everything apart, reusing old gaskets if possible, and use a bunch of gasket sealer. I hope it helps. Thanks again!
I wouldnt re use old gaskets, but try to find some Gasket Paper. You just trace the surface that needs a gasket onto the paper, then use contact cement and hold it to the piece while you use a xacto knife to cut out any holes or bolt holes.

Bolt holes are hard, I use a hole punch, like a little hand one to make bolt holes. It makes clean holes and is easy you might have to trace were bolt holes are first before you contact cement it on, cause once its cemented on you cant take it off.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Small Engines ATVs Go Karts and Lawn Mowers etc