Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Forced Induction
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Forced Induction Discuss topics relating to turbochargers, superchargers, and nitrous oxide systems.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 10:22 PM   #16
QueenNadine
AF Newbie

Re: Re: twincharging, twinturbo, fast spooling, high end power???

Quote:
Originally Posted by kachok25
BTW a 15% over baseline hp shot of NOS (yes I like calling it that) is considerd very safe if your fuel system is capable of handling it. Just my two cents
Can you explain to a novice about nitrous? What is involved in starting out? I have a subaru, baja, and I'm getting a '06 turbo, because subaru's gonna stop production of the baja. I haven't done any mods to it yet but thinking about dual exhaust to start, what do you think? Is nitrous illegal? I'm a gal who loves cars but I don't know alot, where to start and where to go....what I do know is I love driving FAST. This car has an H4, 2.5 liter engine, HP to begin with is 210. I cetainly do not want to ruin my car because of nitrous though, why do people say its dangerous exactly?
QueenNadine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 11:09 PM   #17
beef_bourito
AF Enthusiast

Re: twincharging, twinturbo, fast spooling, high end power???

there are many threads about nitrous that are very informative, use the search feature and you'll find them.

I'll give you a quick explanation. Air contains ~21% oxygen, that's what you need to burn fuel (sorry if you feel like im treeting you like a child but you said you don't know much) and make power. the more oxygen you can get into a cylender, the more fuel you can burn, and the more power you can make, this is the basic idea behind most power modifications.

nitrous oxide (chemical formula N2O) contains 33% oxygen, that means with the same volume of nitrous you can burn more fuel. nitrous breaks down into nitrogen (N2) and oxygen (O2) at around 500 degrees. when you add nitrous you need to add fuel or the engine will run lean, get really hot, and break. a wet nitrous system (where it injects nitrous oxide and gas at the same time) will be safer than a dry system (where it only injects nitrous) because you are injecting the fuel at the same time as nitrous, you're not waiting for the computer to detect the extra oxygen and add fuel.

Nitrous laws vary from state to state (I believe) and from country to country. here in canada i think it's ok to have it in your car as long as the bottle is closed, i don't know how it is in the states. you should deffinately check that out before setting yourself up.

As for setting it up, there are instructions on nitrous kits that tell you how to install it. it's a pretty easy installation that you should be able to do with some basic hand tools (depending on if it's a wet or dry system, dry is the easiest to install because you don't need to get an extra fuel line from the pump). if you decide to buy a system, ask the people there what tools you need to use and if you need to reset or retune your ecu.

There's a really good thread in another part of the forum: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=459319 it tells you what you should do toincrease power. some of this stuff doesn't apply to you because your baja is fuel injected and this one has some stuff to do with carburators but the basic ideas are the same. the way to make more power is to: 1) get more oxygen and fuel into the cylender (with intake systems, turbochargers, superchargers, nitrous, etc) 2) get exhaust out faster and easier (with a high flowing exhaust system) 3) to get more energy out of the combustion of the fuel (such as increasing the compression, advancing the ignition timing, etc) or 4) making the engine more efficient (removing rotating mass, reducing friction, etc)

For more info use the search feature and look up what you would like (so if you don't know how a turbocharger works, you should look it up, there are many subjects that have been disgused to death so we don't like repeating ourselves but if you still don't understand don't mind asking questions to clear things up).
beef_bourito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 02:48 AM   #18
QueenNadine
AF Newbie

Re: Re: twincharging, twinturbo, fast spooling, high end power???

Quote:
Originally Posted by beef_bourito
there are many threads about nitrous that are very informative, use the search feature and you'll find them.

I'll give you a quick explanation. Air contains ~21% oxygen, that's what you need to burn fuel (sorry if you feel like im treeting you like a child but you said you don't know much) and make power. the more oxygen you can get into a cylender, the more fuel you can burn, and the more power you can make, this is the basic idea behind most power modifications.

nitrous oxide (chemical formula N2O) contains 33% oxygen, that means with the same volume of nitrous you can burn more fuel. nitrous breaks down into nitrogen (N2) and oxygen (O2) at around 500 degrees. when you add nitrous you need to add fuel or the engine will run lean, get really hot, and break. a wet nitrous system (where it injects nitrous oxide and gas at the same time) will be safer than a dry system (where it only injects nitrous) because you are injecting the fuel at the same time as nitrous, you're not waiting for the computer to detect the extra oxygen and add fuel.

Nitrous laws vary from state to state (I believe) and from country to country. here in canada i think it's ok to have it in your car as long as the bottle is closed, i don't know how it is in the states. you should deffinately check that out before setting yourself up.

As for setting it up, there are instructions on nitrous kits that tell you how to install it. it's a pretty easy installation that you should be able to do with some basic hand tools (depending on if it's a wet or dry system, dry is the easiest to install because you don't need to get an extra fuel line from the pump). if you decide to buy a system, ask the people there what tools you need to use and if you need to reset or retune your ecu.

There's a really good thread in another part of the forum: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=459319 it tells you what you should do toincrease power. some of this stuff doesn't apply to you because your baja is fuel injected and this one has some stuff to do with carburators but the basic ideas are the same. the way to make more power is to: 1) get more oxygen and fuel into the cylender (with intake systems, turbochargers, superchargers, nitrous, etc) 2) get exhaust out faster and easier (with a high flowing exhaust system) 3) to get more energy out of the combustion of the fuel (such as increasing the compression, advancing the ignition timing, etc) or 4) making the engine more efficient (removing rotating mass, reducing friction, etc)

For more info use the search feature and look up what you would like (so if you don't know how a turbocharger works, you should look it up, there are many subjects that have been disgused to death so we don't like repeating ourselves but if you still don't understand don't mind asking questions to clear things up).
You know your stuff, and it sounds like I asked the right person for sure. Thanks for the kind reply, you did not offend me at all.
I'll keep researching it out and soon I'll have some pictures to post of my work in progress. Baja's are nice cars and its just a crying shame that this is the last year for them.
QueenNadine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 10:50 PM   #19
454Casull
AF Enthusiast

Old 03-25-2006, 08:36 PM   #20
UncleBob
AF -Advisor

twin charging usually refers to charging in series, so the two components multiply the boost together. The problem with this design is, for example, you're stuck with the inefficiency of a supercharger at all RPM's since its always engaged.

Sequential charging is when you have two different sized/type chargers, that work independantly or in parallel, but use valves, clutches etc to get independant boost as is best applied for low and high RPM power. Works well when you can get it to work and stay working, but they are more complex than is prefered, and can be prone to failures, bad drivability, etc.

Then, on another angle, is variable turbo's, which is a single turbo with a variable exhaust design that gives the best of both worlds, with one unit. There's many ways to do this, and depending how you do it, it can be cheap and simplistic....and there's the expensive not-so-cheap options too.

The last one is a lot easier than you might think to set up. I'm building one for my motorcycle as we speak....I'll post more data if others are interested.
UncleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 10:22 PM   #21
beef_bourito
AF Enthusiast

thank you for your input, this thread was a few months old before someone brought it back up, i think now just about everything has been covered on this topic, i think we should let this thread die.

Mr. T speaks only when necessary. His main form of communication is folding his arms and slowly shaking his head. And regardless of the situation, he is always understood.

On the A-team, Face , Haniabal, and Murdoch were all masters of disguise. Mr T didn't have to wear a disguise. The bad guys didn't recognize him out of fear.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:14 PM   #22
UncleBob
AF -Advisor

I'm sorry, didn't mean to interupt the dieing process. Thought I offered some relatively interesting info...but if no one is interested, fine with me. Let it die.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:26 PM   #23
beef_bourito
AF Enthusiast

I'm sorry, i didn't mean to sound condesending, it was interesting information. i was just saying that now pretty much all that can be said has been said.

Mr. T speaks only when necessary. His main form of communication is folding his arms and slowly shaking his head. And regardless of the situation, he is always understood.

On the A-team, Face , Haniabal, and Murdoch were all masters of disguise. Mr T didn't have to wear a disguise. The bad guys didn't recognize him out of fear.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:29 PM   #24
UncleBob
AF -Advisor

The interesting info I was refering to, wasn't in the post. I was asking if anyone was interested in the interesting info about building your own variable exhaust housing turbo for very little money.

I do not like them in a box.
I do not like them with a fox.
I do not like them in a house.
I do not like them with a mouse.
I do not like them here or there.
I do not like them anywhere.
I do not like green eggs and ham.
I do not like them, Sam-I-am.

Last edited by UncleBob; 03-26-2006 at 12:21 AM.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:18 AM   #25
534BC
AF Enthusiast

I always stated twin turbo as two turbos y'd together. Like 1 on each bank of a v-8 and then both push into a common plenum or into 4 cylinders each. Both doing half the work and the same low boost.

A 2 or 3 stage turbo is one turbo pushing into the next and then the next to increase boost pressures into the hundreds of pounds like a pulling tractor.

Last edited by 534BC; 01-16-2010 at 02:39 PM.
534BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:08 AM   #26
the-sti-guy
AF Newbie

i just wanna kno if it would be possable to twin trubo a STI.. an if soo what would the enddin problems be.. cuz im really consedering this
the-sti-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 02:41 PM   #27
534BC
AF Enthusiast

nearly any engine/vehicle can be twin turboed. Along with that can come a whole bucket full of potential problems.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:09 AM   #28
the-sti-guy
AF Newbie

well hmmmm as in wat kinda problems?? cuz i juss want alot of high rpm hp an torque... i mean wat do u think the best bet would be??

cuz i really wanna get an sti an twin turbo it but then again i dont want it to break on me u kno?
Old 01-18-2010, 04:53 PM   #29
534BC
AF Enthusiast

Most commonly turbocharging a nat asp engine can result in detonation , overheating.

High rpm or high torque results in high hp. The two together results in tremendous hp gains. I'm not familiar with specific car , but my guess is that the best bet is to leave it stock. Second best is to take it to a shop specializing in turbo systems for your specific car and let them go at it.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:32 AM   #30
the-sti-guy
AF Newbie

yeah u make a great point... also well the stock sti is runnin 300 wheel hp stock i i mean i juss want a lil more power... but thanks for ur input man

hmmm well alos wat kinda car u got?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Forced Induction