Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 07:08 AM   #1
mentor2
AF Newbie

Clear Coat Problems

Hi all.

I'm having a bit of a problem.

I was helping my friend spray a small section of his car. The paint turned out great and blended perfectly to the old colour, but the clearcoat came out really bad. It came out looking like a golf ball. I was very particular in using wax and grease remover in the prep.

The same thing happened to a motorbike part I was spraying at the same time.

I am not using professional products, and don't mind if i shoot down orange peel as it is rather easy to fix, but I didn't expect it to turn out quite like this.

I have sanded the motorbike piece (blue) down to 1500grit, resprayed clear, then sanded down to 1500 again and it still is showing some dimples. I was thinking of doing the same to the car but but don't want to have to respray 3 or 4 times in order for it to be smooth.

Does anyone have any suggestions??

I'm using a preval setup and air dry.
50mL HiChem Super Clearcoat
25mL HiChem Medium Hardner
8mL HiChem Thinner

I'm wondering if I sand the car down as flat as I can and use the clear coat in a can, if that'll turn out okay. Would the can version adhere to the 2pack clear coat?

I appreciate all comments and criticism. I can't afford a full spray setup, and have found preval to work in the past, but am unsure why it is doing now what it is doing.

Thanks
Andrew

mentor2 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General