Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Auto Collision Network
Auto Collision Network The forum for Automotive and Collision repair schools, instructors, teachers and individuals in the industry helping to produced better qualified employees. In association with A.D.Smith NACAT, CRIN, ASA.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 05:12 AM   #1
iroc343
AF Regular

Shrinkage

I am a hobbyist who, from time to time, will tackle my own body repair. The problem I'm encountering is paint shrinkage. It usually shows up a couple of weeks after the finish is applied as sand scratches. I always use quality products, body filler, primer, and top coats, and I'm not using an excessive amount of filler. I am wondering if the application of a sealer would help. It's frustrating to go through all that work and produce a professional finish only to have sand scratches appear weeks later.
iroc343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 06:05 AM   #2
LearnAutoBody
Auto Body Mod

Re: Shrinkage

Be sure to allow each layer of filler or primer to fully flash. Putting primer on to thick or rushing the flash times between coats can cause sand scratch swelling. Do you use a catalyzed primer? The old lacquer primer was real bad about doing this. Be sure to use 2 part primer surfacer.

I think the problem is applying the products too thick and or not waiting long enough between coats. I usually let primer dry longer than the minimum it says. Overnight if possible.

Flash and dry times are key. Do you think you may rushing flash times or not allowing to dry long enough before sanding?

"Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working together is success."
`Henry Ford
LearnAutoBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 06:28 AM   #3
Mark Lapes
AF Newbie

I have a question on this subject.

Can shrinkage cause cracking in the paint??????????
Mark Lapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 08:15 AM   #4
LearnAutoBody
Auto Body Mod

Mark, I have never seen that. However, I'm not saying it could cause cracking. I am not real sure about that question. I guess if 3,4,5 coats were hosed on back to back it may cause that to happen. Not sure! To be safe wait the recommended flash times. Remember these recommendations are usually set for 70's degree weather. If it is really cold in the shop, you are going to have to extend the flash times.

"Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working together is success."
`Henry Ford
Old 10-19-2009, 07:11 AM   #5
iroc343
AF Regular

I did use a catalized primer. Sounds as if I didn't let the primer dry long enough before applying the top coats. It was a weekend project on a daily driver, so time was limited. Thanks for the info.
iroc343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:56 PM   #6
chaswe75
AF Newbie

The question is what products are you using? Scratching swelling in body work can be caused by:
-cheap primer that shrinks too much and not applying enough primer film build
You should be putting 3-5 coats of a quality urethane or acrylic primer. Also most people do not realize that the final scratch in body work should be softened up before priming. 180 or some people do 220. I DA all hard block scratches that are on the edge of the body work with 180 then 320 feather-edge. You can prime over some hard scratches with a good primer and possibly get away with it. I have seen body work scratch swell months later by doing this though, especially with cheap primer.
chaswe75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:49 AM   #7
LearnAutoBody
Auto Body Mod

The old lacquer primers are bad about shrinking. You can still buy that kind of primer too. Be sure the primer that you use has a catalyst.

`Henry Ford

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Auto Collision Network