Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 12:42 PM   #1
clcmbtn
AF Newbie

Sliding Door adjustment

I have an 01 Windstar and need to know how to adjust the sliding doors. The passenger side rattles like it isn't closed all the way and it is. I have looked and can't figure out how to adjust the latches.

Also, does anyone know where to find the factory code for the keyless entry on the door?

Thanks in advance..........
clcmbtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 03:59 PM   #2
Winny1234
AF Newbie

Re: Sliding Door adjustment

Hi there

I have a 1999 windstar and to adjust the sliding doors there is one hinge you can adjust at the top of the door and one at the bottom of the door. If you open the sliding door and look towards the inside of the door at the top there are 2 nuts you can open and tighten to move the door in and out. Just open these and adjust the door and tighten them again. Be careful with these nuts when you are tightening them i overtightened them and the screw which is rivited into the hinge broke so I had to drill out the rivets and had to go buy random screws and bolts to fix that problem.

For the bottom there is only 1 nut you can open and move the door in and out. If you openn the sliding door and look down you will see one nut you can adjust.

There are 3 bolts in the door to adjust the door up and down but i dont think you will need to adjust these.

I am surprised your 2001 sliding doors still rattle since I have a 1999 and my doors have been rattling since I bought the van new in 1999. The dealer could never fix the problem. My sliding door even stick out half of an inch another problem they resolves on the 2001.

The strikers which are those black plastic things on the frame where the sliding door sits on when closed are the reason for your rattling so you might need to adjust those.
Winny1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 06:39 PM   #3
hoofarted
AF Newbie

The right side sliding door has been rattling on my 02 since it was new. The dealers were never able to fix it.
hoofarted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:41 AM   #4
Harri
AF Newbie

Adjusting the door, make the back end tighter and aligning the door with the body is accomplished by taking a prybar covering it with tape or towel and striking the lock receiver at the back end of the door opening. This can only be done if your door is open and slid forward just until you can get the bar on the D shaped receiver. Place the prybar on the receiver and give it a good 3 hits with a heavy hammer (small sledge works too). The prybar needs to be covered to protect the paint.
Close door and repeat if necessary. Keep in mind that the receiver must move inwards not down since it will affect the way the door latches. If it moves down and rubs on the lock mechanism just tap it up a little with the door fully open.

The rattling noise I found was not actually from the door but from the emergency brake cable rattling inside the frame. Three dealers could not find it and recommended everything from changing shocks to replacing the door.
Harri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:43 PM   #5
gaurbie
AF Newbie

Good evening Harri,

I think i am experiencing the same trouble as you are, i.e. the noise is coming from the emergency brake rattling into the frame. I have a 2001 windstar and I'd like to know how you have fixed that noise. If you explain to me, that would be great because it's the only complaint I have about this car...

Thanks a lot, harri,
gaurbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 05:11 PM   #6
Shadowghost
AF Newbie

Re: rattling parking brake cable. When I've had problems inside the frame, i used spray foam insulation (low expansion) shot in through a small hole. Don't over do it. Just pulling on whatever needs eventual replacement will pull foam out also (not all of it,) bi but new cable can be feed through hole...
Shadowghost is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar