Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 08:45 PM   #1
3grlz
AF Newbie

02 Windstar SEL Power Doors Problem

I bought my van in November 2001. In the summer of 2002 I began to have trouble with the power doors. On one side at first - if it was parked outside in the heat for awhile - once we got back in the car and shut the door it would pull back open a bit. The warning that the passenger door was ajar would come on and it took several tries to get it to close properly. I took it in to Ford and they replaced the latch. The problem continued. I took it back and they changed the sensor. The problem contines. Since then the opposite door began reopening automatically when we closed it. It would close and then automatically reopen by itself. All of these problems ONLY happen in the warm weather above 70. I took it in and they changed the latch on the other door and again that has not stopped it from happening. Is anyone else having this problem? If they've changed both the latch and the sensor what else could it be? Thank you in advance for any assistance that you can offer!
3grlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 08:00 AM   #2
lewisnc100
AF Enthusiast

Re: 02 Windstar SEL Power Doors Problem

My guess is it's the door fit. My power sliding doors worked perfectly this winter and then one would have problems, but only when it reached higher temps like yours. That's because the motor that pulls the door shut has to pull harder when the door seals expand in the heat. Even a very slight difference in closing effort can cause this. Check the rear of each door and it should be slightly outboard of the rear quarter panel. Mine was actually inwards of the rear quarter panel and this puts extra effort on the motor (whereas the one that worked was correctly outboard). The latch is a two step latch, primary and secondary. If it takes too long to go from 1 to the other the motor quits pulling and the door pops open slightly as designed to prevent damage to the motor. Also the door seals should be lubricated which will allow easier closing effort. I adjusted my door fit out a little and it closes fine ever since. Not sure if this is causing both of your problems since it should only result in the door popping open slightly, not opening completely back up.

Was this a Ford dealership you went to? There have been several TSBs on the power sliding door problems and they should walk right through the steps laid out by Ford, first is check the battery then the door fit.
lewisnc100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 08:09 AM   #3
3grlz
AF Newbie

Thanks a million for your reply! Yes, it was a Ford dealership. I will talk to them again - thanks again!
3grlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 11:21 AM   #4
lewisnc100
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: 02 Windstar SEL Power Doors Problem

I would ask the dealership for a copy of the following TSB for your 2002, then review it yourself to help double check the steps the dealership has taken so far. This is a very detailed TSB that discusses all components of the sliding doors and has very good troubleshooting details.

02-18-4 09/16/02 1999-2002 Body - Power Sliding Door Diagnostic Tips
Old 08-03-2004, 10:19 AM   #5
micheleinva
AF Newbie

Thanks also for the advice. I am having the same problems, since 2000 when I bought it. They did recently, 3 months ago, replace (again) the motor in one of the doors and who knows what else. The dealership did this, out of warrantly, because I have had the same thing worked on within a year (this is the third time with this door). I refuse to pay for the other door to be fixed, since they never really "fix" it.
micheleinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 01:13 PM   #6
Wa jang chang
AF Regular

My 00 SEL has a similar but somewhat different problem. It has been always the passanger side. This power sliding door can be opened or closed several different ways; two switches inside, remote switch on the key, or manual pull on the handle. My problem with the door is the door get stuck sometime when it is opened halfway, especially when I pulled on the handle to initiate the motion. The manual pull on the handle suppose to activate the motor to pull it open. When the door is stuck like this, the only way to close or open is yank it all the way manually. Pushing on the switches has effect. Once the door is all the way open/closed, it responds to switch command. Anyone know why the door get stuck like that? Is this some sort of safety feature????
Wa jang chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 01:25 PM   #7
Wa jang chang
AF Regular

My 00 SEL has a similar but somewhat different problem. It has been always the passanger side. This power sliding door can be opened or closed several different ways; two switches inside, remote switch on the key, or manual pull on the handle. My problem with the door is the door get stuck sometime when it is opened halfway, especially when I pulled on the handle to initiate the motion. The manual pull on the handle suppose to activate the motor to pull it open. When the door is stuck like this, the only way to close or open is yank it all the way manually. Pushing on the switches has effect. Once the door is all the way open/closed, it responds to switch command. Anyone know why the door get stuck like that? Is this some sort of safety feature????
Old 02-09-2005, 01:31 PM   #8
lewisnc100
AF Enthusiast

Not sure about the terms here, but the power sliding doors go into a sleep mode after the engine is off for a length of time. So if you notice when you drive somewhere and immediately open the power sliding doors, they open easily from slight pull on the handle. But after sitting off for an extended period of time its much more difficult to pull the handle and get the door started, and then normally the movement of the door triggers it to move on its own about half way open on mine. Not sure where to go from there but it doesn't sound like it is reacting normally to this manual movement.

You might try the "Resetting the PSD" steps in your owner's manual.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:48 AM   #9
Wa jang chang
AF Regular

My problem with the power sliding door is not consistent. It works fine most of times. Once in a awhile, it gets stuck. The system being in sleep mode and my problem do not go pretty well as it works fine most mornings (after overnight parking).
Old 02-24-2005, 08:21 AM   #10
lewisnc100
AF Enthusiast

Have you tried the "Resetting the PSD" steps in your owner's manual?
Old 02-24-2005, 12:33 PM   #11
Wa jang chang
AF Regular

Will try PSD resetting and report results.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:10 AM   #12
Wa jang chang
AF Regular

Ever since replacing the battery, the problem is no longer there. The problem could have been attritbuted to the weak battery.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:04 AM   #13
lewisnc100
AF Enthusiast

You're probably right, according to the power sliding door cause and effect matrix the #1 cause for "Door Will Not Power Open" is "Battery at Low State of Charge".
Old 12-28-2019, 01:21 PM   #14
Rafa135
AF Newbie

I have the same problem with my Windstar. I was thinking it may be the rear door latch. With just a little pressure on the rear of the door the rear latch locks.
I'll post more if I find a more definite solution.
Rafa135 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar