Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 05:03 PM   #1
Colt Hero
AF Regular

2011 Impala ~80k: Rear Bumper Cover Damage

Was just talking to my 86-year old Mother Saturday night and she told me she had gone to CVS to get her medications, and as she was slowly backing out of her parking spot, a 70-something year old man’s vehicle suddenly appeared behind her - and they collided: her passenger-side rear bumper struck his passenger-side front bumper. My son sent me pictures and it’s not *that* bad : no taillight or trunk damage, but a basketball-sized double-“dimple” in the bumper cover (and who knows what else behind it).

Does anybody have instructions for removing the bumper cover on this vehicle? It has the V6 engine, plain Jane model. Is that the 3.5L engine in there? I’ve got Helm manuals for all my cars, but my Mom certainly doesn’t. I pulled the *front end* off my ‘97 Taurus once years ago and it was fairly easy, but as soon as I say that there will be some hidden fastener somewhere on this Impala requiring some crazy tool I wouldn’t have during my visit.

Also - I’ve never tried this before, but I’m wondering if I’ll be able to punch the dent back out (maybe with the help of a Harbor Freight heat gun on a lower setting)? Then, of course, it’ll need re-painting, but I just can’t see putting a lot of money into this - even though the rest of the vehicle is in good shape and, at only 80k, the engine still has plenty of life left in it.
Colt Hero is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS