Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 01:21 AM   #1
Apocrypha0
AF Newbie

Permanent Oil residue in the Coolant?

Hello

I just bought a car (2000 Renault Clio, 1600cc) about 2 months ago from a dealer and had been problems ever since. I've been hearing some weird noises like oil running down a surface from the top left corner of the bonnet when driving. And after a month, the car suddenly started smoking.

When I opened up the bonnet the whole area was exploded with yellow goo from the coolant, which turned out to be a oil contamination in the cooling system. I called the dealer and asked about it and after a while they took it back saying they would fix it for me.

Well, it returned two weeks later and they told me it was because of the previous repairs done to the car which left oil residue in the system, and it's going to come back time to time.

Couple of weeks later, it came back again so I took the car to a garage to get instructions on how to clean the tank by myself, and the mechanics thought it was weird to have any residue, since the other mechanic should have flushed the system. So they did a pressure check and found out the dealer had simply feeled in the hoses with sealant to give it a temporary fix to a real costly problem, and it will eventually ruin the whole engine in the long term. And apparently heat casket had a serious problem.

So I called back into the dealer and made them take the car back for the second time to repair, since they sold me a damaged car. I just got the car back yesterday and they told me again, the car still have some residues since it's impossible to get all the oil out. And what the other mechanic told me about the sealant was a lie, and the car is fine. Yet they said the problem will come back again and it will be real minor, nothing to worry about. The coolant is starting to form yellow goo again, right now.

I can't believe the dealers anymore, so can anyone please tell me whether they are telling truth or lying through teeth? I heard rumours the dealers I bought from are sharks.

Thanks!

Nate

Last edited by Apocrypha0; 07-26-2012 at 01:23 AM. Reason: spelling and grammar
Apocrypha0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:23 AM   #2
danielsatur
AF Enthusiast

Re: Permanent Oil residue in the Coolant?

Usually oil/fuel contamination is a sign of a blown head or intake gasket.

If there was any repairs for a bad head or intake gasket, a little residual oil isn't going to hurt anything.

If there was no repairs done, you might consider www.steelseal.com , or blue devil.

1) Make sure there' s no coolant in engine oil.
2) Coolant pressure test 1st
3) Fix any bad rubber, or water pump leaks.
4) Make sure both coolant fans are working with the HVAC on cool max.
5) Catalytic converter back pressure test.
6) Clean and flush coolant system, and add some steelseal.
danielsatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:48 PM   #3
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: Permanent Oil residue in the Coolant?

Before repairing your car, you need to take action to get your money back. Look at the consumer protection legislation in your country regarding sale of defective used cars and investigate your rights for compensation or a refund.

Yes, it sounds as if you have been ripped off. Repairing this car properly is an expensive proposition, so it might be best to start legal proceedings against the dealer (based on your consumer rights). First, start by contacting them regarding the problem. State that the problem has occurred since your firs tbuying the car and you demand a permanent repair (with a guarantee) at their cost, or you want a full refund.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
coolant
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical