Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 02:50 PM   #16
lt8828
AF Newbie

Re: body control module "98"

I have the same exact wiper problem that GMAC454 had. I called one junk yard for the part (BCM). I was told that this module also records the mileage of the vehicle. My caravan has a very low mileage considering its age. I am hesitant to replace the BCM with one that is going to report 140,000 miles. Does any one know if this is true that you will see a different mileage than your original once you have the BCM replaced? What can be done to avoid this problem?
lt8828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 11:12 AM   #17
lt8828
AF Newbie

Finally received the BCM that I ordered from a used parts dealer. After replacing the part, the wiper problem goes away. Put the old one back, the problem persists.

Another thing is that my worry comes true. The BCM does record the vehicle's mileage. My vehicle now shows 140,000+ miles, compared to the 80,000+ miles with my original BCM. Still haven't figured out what to do. Any advice is appreciated.
lt8828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 07:55 PM   #18
conncarl
AF Newbie

lt8828, I'm sorry I missed you post and it took me so long to respond.

If you have a digital odometer, the mileage is stored in the BCM and swapping it will cause your speedometer to display the mileage from the donor vehicle.

This is generally well known in the used parts industry, and when searching Internet sites such as "www.car-part.com", you will normally find the mileage listed next to each BCM offered for sale, in order to make it easy to find one that is close to the mileage on your vehicle.

At this point, you have four options;

1. Save the original BCM and document the mileage difference between the two. No one will really care until it is time to sell the van, and if you keep your receipt and document the change carefully, that should satisfy the buyer. If its got 80k on it already, it isn't going to be a low-mileage creampuff anyway when you sell it, so it should be less of an issue than it would be if the van had 25 or 30K on it.

2. Pay a dealer about $75 to "reflash" the BCM, which may allow them to reset the mileage to the number that was on the old BCM. You'll have to call a Chrysler dealer and ask about this.

3. Buy another boneyard BCM with a more palatable mileage number and install it.

4. Bring or ship your BCM to an electronic speedometer repair shop. For roughly $50 to $150, they can often re-program the mileage for you.

Good luck! Carl
conncarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 02:10 PM   #19
MoMom
AF Newbie

Could this BCM also be the problem with my dash gauges going out once in a while?
MoMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 01:34 PM   #20
conncarl
AF Newbie

Yes.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:35 AM   #21
Mr_Stab
AF Newbie

I was installing a new stereo in my 94 Grand Caravan, didn't disconnect the battery, put the new harness on before I connected them to the new stereo, crossed some wires... now my interior lights wont work, power locks don't work, and radio wont work.

Body Module?

Or I have been thinking,, could it possibly be a fusible link some where for constant power because power locks, interior lights and radio all have constant power associated with them.

I tried the reset, unplugged the battery over night just to be safe, and the problems still persisted.

But if it is the Body Module, were would I locate this device on my 94 Grand Caravan? The Haynes DIY book I bought says absolutely nothing about this so called Body Module anywhere.

Thanks
Mr_Stab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 09:14 AM   #22
conncarl
AF Newbie

Sounds more like a fuse to me.

In any case, your BCM should be under the dash, on the left hand side.

Good luck! Carl
Old 08-25-2004, 04:41 PM   #23
Mr_Stab
AF Newbie

My 98 Grand Caravan is at the dealership by my place right now to check out the BCM. If it is the BCM, I have already tracked down a Wrecker who claims to have two vehicles that the BCM can come out of to go into my Van.

Thing is, the Wrecker said the BCM is located in the engine compartment on the left side, pretty much in plain view making it pretty easy to change out. But conncarl has said the BCM is located under the dash on the left side, which sounds like an extreme amount of work comparatively.

Which one is it?
Mr_Stab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 05:22 AM   #24
hernandez3674
AF Newbie

the bcm is located on the driver side under the fuse box. The ECM is located in the engine compartment right side. Looks like an amplifier..
hernandez3674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 08:29 AM   #25
conncarl
AF Newbie

BCM=Body Control Module (under dash)

ECM=Engine Control Module (engine compartment)
Old 08-28-2004, 08:15 PM   #26
caravanbob
AF Newbie

My '01 GC Sport is awaiting a new BCM (no dash lights or back-up lights). They are not stored at the dealers since they have to be ordered from the parts depot, and the parts depot flashes them with the existing mileage from the vehicle it's going into. Since I couldn't leave my van in the shop over the weekend, I'll have a mileage descrepancy of maybe 200 miles, which I will document. I don't think that the mileage can be input by the dealer or anyone other than the parts depot (at least thats based on what the dealers shop told me).
caravanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 08:39 AM   #27
conncarl
AF Newbie

A modern, well-equipped speedometer repair shop should be able to correct the mileage. With a 200-mile discrepancy, however, I for one certainly wouldn't bother.

Just my 2¢. Carl
Old 11-21-2004, 08:14 PM   #28
micklepickle
AF Newbie

Unhappy Re: Re: body control module

Hi, I have a 2001 Dodge Caravan-

I was told the bcm is programed to your specific car?

my power light on the cooling control panel (below the radio) wont go on, no fan, no heat or ac- my mechanic found it was getting no power from the bcm- he jumped it from the bcm i think, so atleast i have defroster and heat until i get a new bcm. One of our headlights stopped as well a while ago and I belive the mechanic jumped it as well.

Does this sound consistint with a bcm? I only have 75k on the car- I want a bcm that matches that.

do you think i should go to a dealer with this?

Mike
micklepickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 03:01 PM   #29
GMAC454
AF Newbie

the BCM module

The BCM controls so many functions it is hard to specifiy what seams consistant with a BCM , but it does control almost all electronic functions of the vehicle, heat, lights, wipers, alarm (security) system, heater controls. so it would be the first place i would go to. the idea that all those companents are going out is pretty far fetched so the BCM is the one common denominator in all of it. Get one from a reputable salavge yard, they are about 100 to 125 bucks and the install is simple. The BCM is located under the driver side of the dash!! it is not that hard to remove and if you buy ine you will see by the bolt holes and the cable plg-ins how it goes in. the toughest part is the bolt along the upper left side. you will need a 1/4 inch drive ratchet and long extension to get at it. other than that it slides right out. The BCM does hold and your mileage information!!! you are stuck with the mileage on the bcm you buy!! unless you can find a speedometer shop in the area that will reprogram it. So it is best to find one at a good salvage yard becasue they usually list the mileage that is on it.
thanks
GMAC454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 09:45 AM   #30
drummertom
AF Newbie

Mileage on BCM

I replaced the BCM on my 95 and it did change the mileage.
drummertom is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager