Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 02:01 PM   #1
Easy_Target
AF Newbie

Angry 1998 Grand Caravan ES - intermittent no start

My father has this vehicle and been having an intermittent no start for a while. Has been at the dealer for months & they won't admit that they cannot fix it. They have been working with my dad on cost but now they have changed Service Managers & it is now costing him on this repair where it seems that they just keep throwing parts at it.

I understand its intermittent & difficult but come on!!

Symptoms (about time you say):

Turns key, fires right up, drives fine, gets where he's going, turns off vehicle, on restart it fires right up then just as quickly quits then its dead from there. Nothing will get it started again. Dealer thinks it something replaces it now it starts they drive it for few days, now it quits again or my dad picks it up & it quits before getting out of the driveway.

Dealer has been attacking the security system to no avail went to the door lock cylinder and some others but I don't think that they have gone after the starter, or starter solenoid that I'm seeing alot of issues with.

Any input would be appreciated.
Easy_Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 09:46 AM   #2
weppb1
AF Newbie

Re: 1998 Grand Caravan ES - intermittent no start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy_Target
My father has this vehicle and been having an intermittent no start for a while. Has been at the dealer for months & they won't admit that they cannot fix it. They have been working with my dad on cost but now they have changed Service Managers & it is now costing him on this repair where it seems that they just keep throwing parts at it.

I understand its intermittent & difficult but come on!!

Symptoms (about time you say):

Turns key, fires right up, drives fine, gets where he's going, turns off vehicle, on restart it fires right up then just as quickly quits then its dead from there. Nothing will get it started again. Dealer thinks it something replaces it now it starts they drive it for few days, now it quits again or my dad picks it up & it quits before getting out of the driveway.

Dealer has been attacking the security system to no avail went to the door lock cylinder and some others but I don't think that they have gone after the starter, or starter solenoid that I'm seeing alot of issues with.

Any input would be appreciated.
I am having somewhat similar problems with my '96 Caravan (see my post under UserID: weppb1. I have had lots of folks view my post but no replies yet. In reading other posts there are lots of references to the Auto Shutdown (ASD) relay (causing vans to "quit") that is being affected by some possible electrical problem (e.g. bad ground somewhere). We are scared to drive van much as don't know when it will act up. Will keep in tune with this post and vica versa. Hopefully we will ear some good news!!
weppb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 07:22 PM   #3
gforster
AF Enthusiast

ok what engine do you have? Let's put this one to bed....

Geoff
gforster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 07:22 PM   #4
gforster
AF Enthusiast

oh ya and how many miles on the van? Fuel pump ever been changed? if so when?

Geoff
gforster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 12:04 PM   #5
Maddog32
AF Newbie

Unhappy Caravan electronic gremlins

Hello-
We have a '97 Caravan ES 3.8 with the same problems. During the non-start/start period the gauges are also dead. In addition to the intermittent starting, all the dashboard gauges periodically die and the ABS, check engine and alarm lights come on when I am driving. Everything, except the check engine light, eventually reverses itself for no apparent reason. The cruise control also dies during this period. During the intermittent start problems I can hear the fuel pump start, so I don't think that is the problem.

I have had it in to the dealer several times and, apparently, the only solution to the problem is to either sell the van or send it to the crusher!

My dealer has a pretty good service organization, however, they have basically have told me they don't have any idea how to fix this problem. With all the electronic diagnosis machines they have at their disposal, you would think they could figure this one out. They have even had the van during one of its periodic fits and couldn't figure it out. About the only thing they tell me is that they get an error for "no message from the body control module", which I determined for free using the blinking light procedure.

They did eventually replace the body control module (approx $700 total and you can only get the part from them) which, up to this point, has seemed to fix the intermittent start problem, but not the death and resurgence of the gauges and cruise (although I am not yet totally sure the intermittent start problem has gone away.)

Oddly enough, I also have had, and continue to have, a problem with the alarm system. Generally, I can not use the key to unlock the doors without setting off the alarm. I haven't had any problem unlocking using the clicker. The dealer also has no idea how to specifically fix that problem. The said all they could really do was start replacing components until the problem stopped (or not) on my dime.

My guess is that the problem actually does have something to do with the alarm system. If you have ever tried to start the van when the alarm was going off, it acts the same way as the intermittent start problem we have been having and the dead gauge problem I have been having. I believe the alarm system shuts off shuts off some of the electronics in addition to just making noise. Also, I took off my right door panel and found that the connector from the lock switch was retaining water and was rusted and probably shorting out. I will probably start replacing the door lock switches.

Let me also mention that I had to have the starter replaced last summer.

I will let you know if I cure any of this stuff and I would appreciate it if you would do the same.

Thanks-
John
Maddog32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 05:36 AM   #6
Maddog32
AF Newbie

Lightbulb Give it a Whack!

I saw this in another post and it worked for me. I turned the key to the "on" position before I did it so I could see what was happening. After I whacked it, the gauges came to life and the thing started. Clearly, this does not fix the problem, but it kind of narrows it down a bit. A few days later I had to do it again, but I really did not hit it that hard and it worked.

" have had this same problem for the past year. We have tried everything you could think of without much success. My problem is number two and don't have your other problems. When this happened one time, out of frustration I slammed my fist on top of the dashboard and all the gages came back up, you nshould try this with the key on. You have to do this on both sides of the steering wheel at the same time. Do this as soon as the car doesn,t start the first time not after the car goes dead. If the gauges come up the car will start. I can hit hard enough that it works, my wife can't. If this works your printed circuit board of you instument cluster has a short. The car will run without the cluster, but if you have a factory alarm the starter cut off goes into effect or the car computer thinks that the car is in gear. You can purchase a new on from the dealer for about 400.00. I took mine out and had it repair. I don't know if this is the cure as I only did it about a week ago, I saw your post thought this might help.

Good luck and let us know how you make out, remember hit it hard.
Paul"
Maddog32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 10:57 PM   #7
familyvan
AF Newbie

The most recent post seems to be the cure. We have a 97 and with us, it's somewhere in the center consul where we loose the lights. We whack the dash, problem solved. It appears to be a short somewhere in the cuircut board. Ours in not a real problem, but the dash guages and the engine dying, major dependability issue. Kick it's butt when it miss-behaves, and then tear it open and remove the board. Look for the broken solder joint.
familyvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 10:15 AM   #8
slantsixness
AF Enthusiast

there's a problem with the instrument cluster wiring connector. usually a little movement will keep it fixed for quite a long time. The permanent solution is to replace the cluster (or repair it if you are capable).

There are also problems with the ignition key lock that will cause the no start condition.

These fixes are in addition to the ASD relay/fuel pump/body control module/IAC valve/PCM/ TPS problems causing "no start"
Old 07-20-2005, 09:43 AM   #9
rjpjnk
AF Newbie

I am having the same problem. Intermittent no-start (i.e., no cranking), and occasional engine cut out for not apparent reason. Please let me know how to fix this. Is it just the circuit board in the dash instrument cluster? I am also hearing about an ASD relay. Is there a Service Bulletin on any of this? Has anyone definitely fixed their car as of yet?
Thanks
Rich
rjpjnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 11:45 AM   #10
weppb1
AF Newbie

I have not had the problem for quite a while and never did find a fix for it that I knew was going to solve it. Sorry Rich.
Old 07-24-2005, 05:17 PM   #11
bridgetdoyle
AF Newbie

Re: Caravan electronic gremlins

[this might sound silly but i had the same problem with a 2000 chrysler stalling then starting ( sometimes i had to put my foot down on the gas heavily and then it would power up) and i also had quitting gauges(the enginge light had been on for awhile and the code reader wouldn't readon my car). my dad had me put fuel injection cleaner in the gas tank and i have only been using chevron gas, amazingly it worked, ( it took a weak of running the old fluid out) but the gauges are seemingly unrelated. i am still working on that and so far i've switched out all the relay's checked all the fuses and nothing has helped. i am taking it to an electrical shop in august they think there is a short in the relay box.

My chrysler dealer told me that an after market alarm, that i didn't know was on my car, (i bought it used) was usually the cause of electrical problems on these voagers. So i payed 180 dollers so they could remove it before my dad put the feul cleaner in and that turned out to be a huge waist! Listen to this! i was parked outside of a monastic abbey when my car suddenly goes crazy the lights turn on the windshield wipers go on the horn goes on. Luckily my dad was there and he runs out and rips the realys out tempararily fixing the problem, but when i put them back in not only does my spedometer not work my gas gause, my low beams, my horn, and my dome lights don't work. thanks chryler and most of all thanks DAD! LOL
bridgetdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 08:54 AM   #12
weppb1
AF Newbie

Bridget - interesting story - let me know if you ever find a fix. THX.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:44 AM   #13
sanman1
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 1998 Grand Caravan ES - intermittent no start

Quote:
Originally Posted by weppb1
I am having somewhat similar problems with my '96 Caravan (see my post under UserID: weppb1. I have had lots of folks view my post but no replies yet. In reading other posts there are lots of references to the Auto Shutdown (ASD) relay (causing vans to "quit") that is being affected by some possible electrical problem (e.g. bad ground somewhere). We are scared to drive van much as don't know when it will act up. Will keep in tune with this post and vica versa. Hopefully we will ear some good news!!
Hi this problem has just started to happen to me.. I have a 98 GC with 195,000 kms. changed starter and battery and still have the same symptom.. Really need help to get this one resolved as the shop said it could take days in the shop to diagnose and could cost alot!!!
sanman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 04:58 PM   #14
smurfcorpse
AF Newbie

I have had the "gauge dead/ABS light on" problem and have the "turn the key and nothing problem" on my 98 GV. I resolved the gauge problem by re-soldering the connecter on the cluster. The other problem will go away for months at a time and then return I think it is a relay or a loose connection but I havent spent too much time with it. When the van wont start I open the hood and pull the cover off the relay/fuse box. I pound the relays a few times then turn the key and it starts. The problem seems to be related to how much of a hurry I'm in
smurfcorpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 10:01 AM   #15
weppb1
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: 1998 Grand Caravan ES - intermittent no start

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanman1
Hi this problem has just started to happen to me.. I have a 98 GC with 195,000 kms. changed starter and battery and still have the same symptom.. Really need help to get this one resolved as the shop said it could take days in the shop to diagnose and could cost alot!!!
I have never found a fix for my problem but the "deadness" has not occurred for over a year now. Sorry... not much help. Did you see "smurfcorpse" reply to my thread? Sounds like he had same problem and has a temporary fix.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager