Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 06:46 PM   #1
96tsport
AF Regular

rear wheel well seams rotted

Bodyshop was looking at my van after I got rear ended & dude made some comments about not worth fixing the damage & plus can't even be certified as is (to re-sell) cos, the rear wheel well seams are rotted & exhaust fumes risk thing..

Can't say I noticed before & not sure about the wheel wells (dunno if all metal) but upper & lower sections are joined & then appear to have a thick sealant type tape on top of the seam & definitely the seam is rotted away (looked like mostly the upper section of the seam).

Is this structural or just a matter of maybe wire brushing/grinding the rust at the seam, doing a fiberglass repair & sealing it up by maybe brushing on tar type goop?
tinkering (04-01-2022)
Old 11-12-2008, 04:19 PM   #2
Jeffrv
AF Regular

Re: rear wheel wells rotted

Well, I'll add my 2 cents here..I don't think they are a major strctural member. The manual describes the vehicle as unibody, then goes on to show an illustration of a complete frame. In addition, what GM calls the spaceframe is part of the structure, looks like a NASCAR roll cage all around the roof and sides, so based on all this I don't think the wheel wells carry much load. They are metal BTW. so a fiberglass repair should seal them up.
Good luck
Jeff
Jeffrv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeffrv For This Useful Post:
tinkering (04-01-2022)
Old 12-01-2008, 11:30 AM   #3
96tsport
AF Regular

Dunno about major structural but body shop sez it is structural (carries the load of the floor pan section). They didn't want to fix anything claiming the frame rails are rusted & weak as well as the wheel wells seam to floor section for a proper repair. Can't weld on unsound rusted metal type thing. ~ 2k to fix if existing metal was good.

Main damage to the van is have a welded on (rear frame rails) frame mount trailer hitch & the ball got pushed forward ~ 3-4 inches pretty much even with the bumper now. Said the frame rails are high strength steel & used to be able to buy a section from GM but discontinued now.

Looks totally normal from the outside, all the damage is underneath & other than that, few scrapes here & there.

Anyhow, didn't know that this was an option (thought if it cost more to fix than worth, you lost the vehicle); apparently I get to keep it with a cash settlement & I can do what I like.

Some funny comments came into it (I thought). I said all I want a hitch for is bicycle & dude said that even that & leaving it as is, or say putting on a bumper hitch, whole deal is so weak that there is a risk of it breaking away.`

Also said he wouldn't even stand on the ball as is so first thing i tried..

Got some pix I'll post once I figure something out.

Last edited by 96tsport; 12-01-2008 at 08:07 PM.
96tsport is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 96tsport For This Useful Post:
tinkering (04-01-2022)
Old 12-02-2008, 12:53 PM   #4
96tsport
AF Regular

Should work.. underneath looks pretty nasty. Anyone know if that's a factory hitch, or is there such a thing?

Last edited by 96tsport; 12-07-2008 at 02:38 AM.
96tsport is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 96tsport For This Useful Post:
tinkering (04-01-2022)
Old 12-02-2008, 07:22 PM   #5
Jeffrv
AF Regular

Not that I know for sure, but not aware of GM offering a factory trailer hitch. Most were aftermarket, usually bolt on like my van, but I think Woods welding offerered welded on hitches, perhaps that's what you have.
Yeah, GM has discontinued supporting these U body vans, if it wasn't used in a later model, they don't have the part. I have been trying since spring to get door weatherstripping, no luck.
Perahps the body shop might be able to fabricate a reinforcing to put over the existing frame rail, like a flanged "U" shape to slip over the rail for as long as you need support, just a suggestion.
Jeff
Jeffrv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeffrv For This Useful Post:
tinkering (04-01-2022)
Old 04-01-2022, 06:26 PM   #6
tinkering
In the 200 Club

I know this is an older theead but it still applies a lot to me and my 93 TransSport. I am going to replace the rusted out sections and brackets etc. as need be. I watch Fitzie a lot on Youtube. He fabricates body parts by hand, replacing things on vehicles that other people would say are 'not worth it'. I disagree with them, especially when you can do the work yourself.
The original poster's pictures are invaluable. Thanks.
If that were my TS, I would just straighten the bent pieces under there, and then reinforce it all where required, by welding, riveting, or both.
I wasn't sure where/how the trailer hitch would connect to the frame on the TS, so your picture set me free on that. Again I say thanks.
1986 Ford Ranger 4 cyl
1993 Pontiac TransSport 3.8
1996 Chevy 3/4 Ton 4x4
1999 Oldsmobile Alero
2004 BMW 330i
tinkering is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport