Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Colorado
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 08:10 PM   #46
lynnamay
AF Newbie

Re: Chevy Colorado Issues

we have had nothing but trouble with this 2005 colorado from the start.
a years of trying to get them to fix the engine light issue and the motor idoling hard and shutting off in the middle of trafic. We made a hard decision and simply stoped making the payments and had them pick this truck up. I received a letter about the engine light issue. And I called the dealer. I was told they did not know what I was refering to. In a move I lost the letter and I was then told unless I could come up with the letter they just could not help me. We decided that $1900.00 + interest was way to much for us to pay to maybe lose our life in a trafic accident due to the engine stopping as we pulled out into traffic.

Lynn & Judy
lynnamay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:34 PM   #47
sosharp
AF Newbie

Beware - 2004/2005 Chev Colorado is know for misfire P0300 code. They need to replace all valves and seals. Get GM to fix this while under warranty. I am looking for the special policy that should provide coverage up to 160,000 kms.
sosharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:13 PM   #48
Sauceyleroux
AF Newbie

I have an '04 Colorado and I got some issues with my driver side turn signal/parking lights. When I test my parking lights the bulbs are on, when I put the car in drive just the automatic "parking" lights come on my driver side is completely out (both bulbs). My driver side turn signal is also flashing quickly and bulb does not work. I replaced both bulbs. Trying to figure out if i can fix this issue before taking it to a shop. Thanks.
Sauceyleroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:56 PM   #49
zundapman
AF Newbie

Angry Re: Chevy Colorado Issues - check engine?

I just recently acquired a 2006 4 cyl manual extended cab work truck with less than 30,000 miles on it. It runs great but the check engine code associated with valve timing keeps coming on and occasionally it switches itself off. I've replaced all the sensors only to have it come on again and then shut itself off again.

I'm not about to invest any more money until I get a reasonable diagnosis of what is causing it to happen. My mechanic has done all the computer based testing he can and gives the motor a good bill of health except for the fact that it doesn't seem to like the valve timing it sees sometimes right when I start the motor. Once it is running, according to the shop, everything is working as designed.

Any suggestions?
zundapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:08 AM   #50
GMCustomerService
AF Regular

Re: Chevy Colorado Issues - check engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zundapman View Post
I just recently acquired a 2006 4 cyl manual extended cab work truck with less than 30,000 miles on it. It runs great but the check engine code associated with valve timing keeps coming on and occasionally it switches itself off. I've replaced all the sensors only to have it come on again and then shut itself off again.

I'm not about to invest any more money until I get a reasonable diagnosis of what is causing it to happen. My mechanic has done all the computer based testing he can and gives the motor a good bill of health except for the fact that it doesn't seem to like the valve timing it sees sometimes right when I start the motor. Once it is running, according to the shop, everything is working as designed.

Any suggestions?
Good morning,
Is your mechanic one of our GM technicians at a dealership? If so, I'd be happy to follow up on this with you! Please send me a private message with more information.

Regards,
Sarah
GM Customer Service
GMCustomerService is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:21 PM   #51
zundapman
AF Newbie

Post Re: Chevy Colorado Issues - check engine?

Sarah:

I take my business to an independent shop called "Advanced Automotive Services" in Ypsilanti, MI. The "code" I'm seeing is P0017 which comes up when the computer senses some kind of problem with the valve timing. The problem does not show up when the truck is on the diagnostic system at the shop and it is running.

The code comes on and appears only when the car has been sitting (cold) and I attempt to start it. Starting is "different" from any previously owned vehicle in that there is a slight "hitch" or delay from the time I switch the key to start and when the engine actually kicks over. Compared to other vehicles I've owned, I'm informed, because of the way the computer controls things, first you make the starting contact with the key, then the computer triggers the starting system. If there is a valid problem with the valve timing, it occurs only immediately when starting up, and no "issues" can be seen when the motor is running and connected to a diagnostic unit. My truck is the so-called "bare bones" work truck with manual 5 speed and a four cylinder engine. Unfortunately I know little of its' maintenance history other than it "sat" for some time because its' owner was deployed overseas and eventually decided to sell it.

On a couple of occasions, starting the truck when the check engine light has been on turned it off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCustomerService View Post
Good morning,
Is your mechanic one of our GM technicians at a dealership? If so, I'd be happy to follow up on this with you! Please send me a private message with more information.

Regards,
Sarah
GM Customer Service
Old 02-24-2012, 03:34 PM   #52
zundapman
AF Newbie

One more thing... In our attempts to resolve this issue, all three of the sensors which contribute to P0017 have been replaced and an after-market backyard mechanic installation of an old Alpine radio/cd player was professionally undone and the radio replaced. Before the readio was fixed, the old radio could be turned off and on when the truck was sitting without a key in it. With the new Harmon Kardon system which lets me play MP3's off a memory card, plug in my MP3 player and/or iPhone/iPod/iPad with an internet connection to use Pandora, etc. was installed, things went back to the "way it should be" IMHO in that if I leave the radio on and shuth the truck off, the radio shuts off. Other systems like the wipers and the interior lights seem to function completely independently of the key. If I want the cabin and bed lights to come on, I have to turn them on manually and if I turn the key off the lights only go off if I turn them off. I see no evidence of "open door" sensors linked to the interior lights.

I'm not sure this is the "way it should be" for the work truck but the documentation I have isn't that difinitive on the subject.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:13 PM   #53
zundapman
AF Newbie

Visited Chevrolet dealership yesterday. Interior lights issue resolved as a training issue. There is a little button on the dash which toggles the automatic lights on and off. They also gave me a printout of the latest technical bulletin on P0017 issues, and shortly after my visit the P0017 check engine code cleared itself and hasn't come back on since.

IMHO the problem with my truck may be that it sits sometimes for several days between uses and the 5W30 oil in seeps down from the hydraulic lines that control the cam timing while it is in the garage. When I start it up cold, sometimes before it gets pressure back up it trips the code. The on-board computer, according to Chevrolet service will clear the code if on three consecutive starts the problem is not sensed. This may well explain my "intermittent" issue with the Check Engine light.. I guess I've got to run my truck a bit more.

BTW winter mileage for the last couple of hundred miles has been 17.5. My Ford Ranger which was a 1995 was getting 18 on similar use with its' 2.3 Liter Mitsubishi, but it didn't have nearly the power of the 2.9 Liter Chevrolet 4 in my new truck.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:17 PM   #54
zundapman
AF Newbie

One more thing... P0017 code came on and went off a couple more times. One of these occurred when the truck was being driven at about 1400 RPM's in 5th gear! I need to change my driving habits and stop "lugging" this obviously "designed to operate at 2k and above" motor!
Old 03-17-2012, 10:36 AM   #55
zundapman
AF Newbie

Cool Re: Chevy Colorado Issues = P 0017 code cure?

Yet another update. I finally broke down and used a commercial oil additive to slightly thicken my oil and increase viscosity. Lo and Behold... the Check Engine light as stayed off for several days. My mechanic, after all this, said he didn't think it could be an oil related issue because I had recently changed my oil. It looks like we may have spent over $300.00 for nothing! The additive I tried was recommended for "high performance" engines and the clerk at Auto Zone. At the rate I expect to use it, I now have a two or three year supply!
Old 04-06-2012, 06:24 PM   #56
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: Chevy Colorado Issues = P 0017 code cure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zundapman View Post
Yet another update. I finally broke down and used a commercial oil additive to slightly thicken my oil and increase viscosity. Lo and Behold... the Check Engine light as stayed off for several days. My mechanic, after all this, said he didn't think it could be an oil related issue because I had recently changed my oil. It looks like we may have spent over $300.00 for nothing! The additive I tried was recommended for "high performance" engines and the clerk at Auto Zone. At the rate I expect to use it, I now have a two or three year supply!
these engines are a problem with this code. any dirt or sludge restricts the oil passageways.

to avoid any more code issues p0017 change oil only when engine is hot. use synthetic oil. do not use fram filters. wix/pure one purolator/ac delco are much better at removing particles and have a stronger filter media. lifter leak down is from carbon on the hydroylic lifters therefore use 5 OZ of marvel mystery oil to the crankcase to clean these lifters.

the part that usually causes the code is the camshaft actuator solenoid valve . this has a screen so any dirt/sludge creates this issue. removal of the part and inspect the screen.

many have this problem. increasing oil viscosity may have reduces lifter leaking off. if the lifters have bleed off the timing will be off for a short time. marvel mystery oil does a great job of cleaning the lifters.
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:59 AM   #57
zundapman
AF Newbie

Post Re: Chevy Colorado Issues = P 0017 code cure?

[quote=j cAT;6970736]these engines are a problem with this code. any dirt or sludge restricts the oil passageways.

... everything you have cited is on my list for efforts to completely eliminate the problem. This truck, while it had very low mileage for its age, did have signs of use/neglect between 17K miles and the time I bought it. This was a period of almost three years when it dropped off the public record. It was close to a quart low with very dirty oil when I bought it, something I discounted because of the low mileage.

If it went 10K+ miles between the last oil change of record at a dealer and when I changed the oil immediately after I purchased it, I can fully understand how things got the way they were. My problem is with the "system" which makes judgements and recommendations to the independent consumer.

My mechanic discounted oil issues because I had just had the oil changed when I brought it in. I doubt now if any of the replaced sensors were at fault, so I am out over $300 in unnecessary part swapping, and the landfill has three more "throw away" sensors in it.

It is interesting to hear the name of my old favorite, Marvel Mystery Oil. I still own a 1952 Zundapp KS601. This is a horizontal twin designed by Ferdinand Porche. Its motor has pistons, cylinders, valves, and clutch parts in common with the original 32 hp Volkswagen. I found years ago that running a small dose of Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas as a top cylinder lubricant prevented all kinds of issues related to the same problem, formation of carbon deposits on valve stems within the path of combustion gasses.

I have always been somewhat leery of "crankcase cleaning" processes pushed by places like Jiffy Lube and Uncle Ed's Oil Change on the grounds that residual detergent contamination might actually increase post-treatment wear by "thinning" the oil. Maybe now is the time to re-think this issue as well. (Zundapp recommends non-detergent oil and a 1K mile oil change cycle in their user manual published in 1952) Bikes which religiously followed that recommendation ran 100K or more with no "wear out" issues provided valves were kept adjusted properly.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:28 PM   #58
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: Chevy Colorado Issues = P 0017 code cure?

I have used MMO for decades. a couple onces in the fuel tank at fill up and about 5 oz in the crankcase. I had lifter noise when my 2000 silverado was new. leakdown of lifters at cold start. well now at 140,ooomi engine is quiet with no noises. this is also with using mobil 1 5-30wt oil. pure one oil filters also work great. cut them open and you will see a good filtration media. wix also !

your engine from reports of others has a oil sludge issue . you have to be careful on your oil change intervals and change the oil only when hot and allow time for a full drain , likke a 30 minute time period.

I never throw sensors away when the replacing causes no effect. these can be used later to troubleshoot.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:03 PM   #59
Wayne_KY
AF Newbie

Last year about this time my 2005 Colorado (just short of 67000miles) started stalling. Didn't matter if I was on the interstate at speed or accelerating away from a stop sign in town, sometimes it would just sputter and quit. I took it to a shop (not a dealer) and they hooked up the computer for diagnosis. They told me it was fuel filter. Replaced. A couple weeks later the same thing started happening. This time they told me was fuel injectors. Actually showed me on the computer there was a clear miss on one of the cylinders. I had the fuel injectors cleaned and the computer replaced(they lost ability to read it) and they said all was well. When I went to pick it up and drove it out of the lot the same thing happened again. Mechanic came back out, lifted the hood, and stared for a bit before seeing a sensor (Mass Air Flow) that didn't seem to be fully connected. Reseated that and all has been well ever since.

Well...until a week or so ago when the engine light came back on and the stalling commenced again. I am not that comfortable taking the truck back to the mechanic from last year and honestly not sure WHERE to take the thing at this point. Is this a known issue? Anyone else suffering the same behavior? When it runs, it runs great and I have had no other issues with the vehicle. When it decides to stall, however, I can expect the same behavior until I park it and let it cool down completely (such as park it and try it again the next day).

Any assistance or information would be much appreciated.

--Wayne in Kentucky
Wayne_KY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:48 AM   #60
j cAT
AF Fanatic

fuel delivery problems cannot be determined by a computer/scanner.

what is to be done is using a pressure guage measure and perform the fuel pressure test proceedure.

miss fires and poor hot start can be many things. fuel pressure testing clears out this ONE cause.

I would say replacing the fuel filter at every 30-40,ooomi is what is needed any way ! use injector cleaner like techron every 3-5,ooomi.

keep fuel level above 1/4 tank at all times.

with the current issue go to a auto parts store like autozone and get the failure DTC codes pulled then post here for proper direction to resolve this issue.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Colorado