Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 10:17 AM   #16
Mikado14
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Blinking engine light

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallica21156
yes a code could be set. try to see what codes are bveing set if you can. you might have to get it towed if you can't read them at your house. i would never drive the truck if the light was blinking. also feel the part of the manifold thats right next to the block. when its cold let it idle for about a minute and then turn the truck off and feel all 6. if they all feel about the same temp then your EGR could be bad. if a port or 2 is cold then start tricing to see if you have spark and you might have gotten a weak plug. and yes that can happen.
If they all feel about the same in temp, wouldn't that mean that all 6 cylinders are firing? Shouldn't they all be the same temp no matter how long you run it? and, how does that indicate a possible EGR fault?
Mikado14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 09:40 PM   #17
Fireplug
AF Enthusiast

Re: Blinking engine light

You all so called Techs had better LEARN the difference between a Steady Check engine lite and Flashing Check Engine Lite. Steady lite, the ECM,PCM,VCM, PCM2,PCM3 Has detected a sensor out of range . That could mean a sensor has failed or is telling you that something is wrong and caused the sensor it give a out of range reading.
Driving is ok but fuel milage is down and power out put is down. NO EMISSION Damage is being done.
Flashing Check engine Lite means the ECM, VCM,PCM,PCM2,PCM3 HAS dected a major emission Failer. That could be a Major misfire, fuel injector leak or what ever. But the bottom line is that the Emission system is being damaged or about to be damaged and driving it is a no-no.
Please all you so called know it alls tell me I am wrong. And when you do and some on here listens to you and melts down there truck/car or God forbid nobody get hurts.
CALL ANY GM Dealership and ask or better yet READ the most unread book in the world the OWNERS MANUAL.
Fireplug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 10:35 PM   #18
metallica21156
AF Enthusiast

well if i smelled raw gas from the exhaust i wouldn't drive it. feeling the manifold doesn't tell you about the EGR. it tells you if one or 2 cyinders are not firing right due to maybe a spark problem. i don't think its the EGR because when mine got stuck open the light was one but wouldn't blink. recently changed the CPI and got 2 plug wires hooked up right to the diagram but the some how were out of time. the 2 that weren't working were cold around the ports where as the others were hot. this told me that it wasn't a over all problem. just those 2 cyinders. swaped the wires and now its fine but according to the timeing diagram its now out of time but runs great. i only ran it short so you would burn your self. it can get hot. also the longer you let it run the more the heat from the other portsa can transfer over and give you a false reading. please try this to see if the entire motor is having issues or just a few cyinders.
99 chevy s10 zr2, 6" lift, duel exhaust. 5 speed.
metallica21156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 04:12 PM   #19
EDKY423
AF Newbie

I have a 89 s-10, some time ago my check ingine light started flashing and I too was loosing power, I took it to the shop and was told it had bad injectors. I kept driving it like this for about a month, then one day on the way home from work it started stalling on the highway. I made it home and its been parked ever since. Cat problems you think?
EDKY423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 10:03 PM   #20
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Flashing check engine light is usually caused by a misfire condition.

Could be anything from a fuel pump going out to a tuneup being needed.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:16 AM   #21
Fireplug
AF Enthusiast

Blazerlt
I have to disagree with you on your last statment. A steady check engine lite(cel/mil) could be anything including a fuel lean misfire. A Flashing mil is ONLY caused by to much fuel be dumped in the system and going past all the o-2 sensors with out being burnt. The Flashing part means Emission DAMAGE is about to or is already going on. The cause is unburnt fuel, leaking injector, no spark to 1 or more cylinders, some other type of big fuel leak, a bad o-2 will not be caused by a engine sensor failer.
This is not a flame or cut kown its just everyone needs to have the correct info about mil/cels
Old 01-14-2005, 11:06 AM   #22
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

From my experience, a flashing is caused by a random bad misfire or a communication error from the computer.

Anyhoo,

-check fuel pressure
- check for spark.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:44 AM   #23
scholzee
AF Regular

From the Federal EPA website in charge of OBDll

http://www.epa.gov/obd/questions.htm#5

What does it mean if the light is blinking?
If the light is blinking, a severe engine problem such as a catalyst-damaging misfire is occurring and should be addressed as soon as possible. You can still drive safely, but should minimize your time on the road. Try not to drive the vehicle at high speed or with excess weight (such as towing or carrying heavy equipment).
scholzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 12:22 PM   #24
Fireplug
AF Enthusiast

What does it mean if the light is blinking?
If the light is blinking, a severe engine problem such as a catalyst-damaging misfire is occurring and should be addressed as soon as possible. You can still drive safely, but should minimize your time on the road. Try not to drive the vehicle at high speed or with excess weight (such as towing or carrying heavy equipment).

I think that is what I said
Old 01-23-2005, 06:22 PM   #25
lineguy
AF Newbie

Just had this problem with my 96. It was about -5 out and it started and ran rough and light was flashing. Drove it to the store and came out started it and the light was on constant but it was running smooth. Is there anyway to check the light without a code reader.
lineguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 06:36 PM   #26
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Nope, go to autozone and get the codes read for free then comback with the ACTUAL codes.

We can't do anything with the counter monkey diagnosis of the codes, we need the actual numbers.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:17 PM   #27
spblend
AF Newbie

SOLID check engine light, 95 LT blazer

Hey im have a 1995 blazer lt 4 door 4x4, and im havin a problem with the check engine light also, BUT its solid, NOT blinking. Wondering what this is, because the engine really sounds no different now that the lights been on, and its beginning to worry me since im stumped as to what it may be. Any ideas or experience with this, tips, would be greatly appreciated.

- Jesse
spblend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 06:48 PM   #28
Turbocpe
AF Enthusiast

Re: SOLID check engine light, 95 LT blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spblend
Hey im have a 1995 blazer lt 4 door 4x4, and im havin a problem with the check engine light also, BUT its solid, NOT blinking. Wondering what this is, because the engine really sounds no different now that the lights been on, and its beginning to worry me since im stumped as to what it may be. Any ideas or experience with this, tips, would be greatly appreciated.

- Jesse
No one can honestly tell you what your problem is that is resulting in your check engine light. It would simply be a guess. There are many trouble codes.

The fact that it is on solid means that it has detected a problem and stored a trouble code, and instructs you to have the vehicle serviced at the earliest possible. That is what a solid check engine light means.

If you have an AutoZone, visit them and have them pull any trouble codes, and report back here with the actual trouble codes.
Turbocpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 06:55 PM   #29
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Re: SOLID check engine light, 95 LT blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spblend

- Jesse
Please post your question ONCE ONLY.

You already have a thread with this question.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=369777
Old 08-15-2016, 04:40 PM   #30
Akers1
AF Newbie

My wife's 03 trailblazer. Doing same thing. Light blinks constantly while driving, but would stop if you took your foot off accelerator. I first thought coil pack, so I took one out. Takes about 2 mins.. mine took a 10 mm socket. Any way I found one wet .like not firing. So I took it to advance auto. Their computer said misfire on #1 cyl. So I found one at a local salvage yard for $25 , opposed to one for $75 at a parts store. Fixed the problem. SO let advance or AutoZone tell you if any cylinders are showing misfire. They are numbered 1-6 from front to back.
Akers1 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer